Backing fabric too short - Help!!!

I know this topic has been discussed but I can't find the post.

I'm quilting a personal quilt using the Hartley Fence and doing Baptist Fan....... for the first time!

I've had some issues - minor - that were easily resolved. I have 2 - 3 more passes left and noticed that I am about 2 inches short on my backing fabric. Darn. There was a topic that discussed how to add more while the quilt was on the machine.

Can someone repost how to do that? Thanks!!!!!:(

Put right sides together with pins, then fold the new 8 inches or so back under the old backing piece. Stitch straigh across, then unfold it and you\'ll have a new ending piece that will have to be pinned to your leaders. Make sure you have lots of pins in your quilt sandwich before you unhook it from the leaders, so nothing shifts.

Sorry, that doesn\'t even make sense to me. Maybe I can go do it and take some pictures while I do it.

Or maybe somebody else can explain it better.

I was about 1" short on a charity quilt backing. I unzipped the quilt and backing and took fabric from the side and added it to the end of the backing w/my DSM. Then I reattached it to the zipper w/my old singer chainstitch machine. I love that thing!!! I know it was the hard way, but that\'s a common thing for me.

Archived