how to price custom border/E2E inside???

Hi all--question for those who have been doing this a little longer than me--customer brought in a BOM with a 12" border--no little ones--just the one 12" next to the body of BOM--she wants it to look old fashioned--with an allover in the body and possibly crosshatching in the borders. Right now I only have one price for allovers and another for custom--do I measure the center and charge the allover and then measure the borders and charge custom???

What does anybody else do--or is there a price inbetween that is fair?

Thank you!!

Terri

Hi Terri!

Be very careful! Crosshatching is high end custom/heirloom type work. It can also showcase imprecise piecing, and can look out of place if your line spacing is too large or too small relative to the pieced blocks. In my humble opinion:cool: crosshatching would not be the way to go in the border of a BOM quilt. Does that make sense? It is also a challenge to do it accurately.

An open 12 inch border in a fabric that reads solid is a great place to play! Can you do an undulating freehand feather instead? That is a classic look that takes much less time. I\'ve done that on a few BOM type quilts. If the border is a busy print, I would lean toward a piano key treatment. I would charge my normal rate per square inch plus $25-$50 more depending upon the size of the quilt and the spacing of the piano keys(if that were the choice).

Best of luck!

Jill Kerekes

Terri I think you have it about right. Measure the edge to edge surface and charge ETE for that. Then I would measure the border and charge custom for that. Recently I was being nice and told a new customer I would not charge her extra for the feather design around her broder.................well it took much longer than the rest of the quilt by the time I did SITD, marked the spine of her feather and got it quilted. Thank goodness I did charge her a turning fee. Never again..............if they want a custom border they will pay for it from now on.

Archived