Sign in to follow this  
gable428

Blue/White Quilt-Blue Ran Into White Fab

I made a blue batik/white fabric quilt. Looked great before I washed it. I did not prewash fabric. I used Retayne like I always do along with a color catcher sheet. Unfortunately, some of the blue dye ran into the white. The upside is that now my little doxies have a new quilt! This has never happened to me in the 8 years I\'ve been quilting. What could I have done differently to prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

FC06CB1A4E1BB90CC02814317BE0F0C6.png

Gable

Nolting PRO 24

Can you wash it a few more times (without drying) to help release more of the dye? That might help it to wash out of the white areas... (just a thought)

Take that quilt back from the dogs! :)

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Gable,

I always prewash all my fabric...I have had this happen to me once on a Baltimore Album, hand quilted quilt and it made me sick! Here is something you might try.

Put the quilt in a tub of water with synthrapol. The synthrapol will take out the excess dye. You can let it soak overnight. I have heard of people being able to rescue their quilts this way.

Heidi

I had this happen just a few weeks ago with a QOV that I finished for someone. There were 2 quilts exactly the same and both had 3 strips of flannel for backing, one red, one white and one blue. The woman claims to have washed the flannel prior to sending it to me.

I finished the quilts and put them in the washer with cold water and a brand new color catcher. The red bled all through to the front of the quilts. I begged for help from the MQ Resource forum boards and they told me to use synthrepol and wash in HOT water.

I did that and the red came right out of one of the quilts. The other, I had to wash 3 times but it did finally come out. There is still hope. Give the synthrepol a try!

I Always use at least one, depending on the density of color, even 2 or 3 dye magnet sheets, or Color Catchers.. every time I wash a quilt.. It really helps, and costs so little compared to the quilt.. I\'ve had 3 in with one smaller quilt turn dark navy, but it stopped the color from migrating. PTL..

RitaR

Before you try going and getting that. Try cold water and Vinger and little salt. I had a hand embroadery quilt fade on white fabric and I thought I was doomed to pay for it . But do not dry in dryer until you get it out. Hot dryers will set the stains. It all came out and I was so relieved because that was my 2nd customer quilt. Quilt owner was so sorry it happened to me and she said it would of happened later if not do now. OXi Clean helps too.

Nita

0904BB851369B02D94166B5DF476CC78.png

www.henhousemachinequilting.com

Same thing happened to me with a Jinny Beyer Galaxy of Stars quilt. I bought the kit, prewashed the fabrics, and after it was completed and on the guest bed, Bob (our cat) left a present on it, so I had to wash the quilt. The blue ran onto the light pink background. I was so mad, vowed to never buy RJR fabrics again. After two or three more washings, all the running color washed out and the quilt is beautiful again. I didn\'t use retayne or synthrapol, just laundered on gentle with my regular All Free & Clear.

35BBEE4E298ADDB028F98E00FDA567A9.png

2007 Hand Guided Millennium

Circle Lord

http://picasaweb.google.com/catsquilting

Donna, That is great news. I have not had this happen with current batiks before. I do not pre-wash ANYTHING. Wash, dry, iron fabric ...sounds like housework to me. YIKES ;)

Nita, I am going to keep your recipe. Do you think it would work for those marvy pens when I "overuse" them?

Linda Card

APQS Chat Member since August 2005

Ramona Quilter Longarm Quilting Service (Retired Dec 2013)
Gammill Optimum Plus (sold to a friend Dec 2013)
Ramona, CA (Moved to Central Texas Sep 2014)

My webshots site: http://community.webshots.com/user/legcard (not active)
Blog site: http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/ (not updated in months)

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I havent been able to find this product synthrapol...please advise me were to look...a quilt shop anywhere...I have had two quilts run...never before in 15 years has this happened to me...help...thanks

Originally posted by fabric007

I havent been able to find this product synthrapol...please advise me were to look...a quilt shop anywhere...I have had two quilts run...never before in 15 years has this happened to me...help...thanks

You can also order it from Dharma Trading, they have all kinds or dyes and the stuff to get it out as well.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2358432-AA.shtml?lnav=techniques_tubdye.html

Bonnie Botts

APQS Sales Rep - Certified Service Technician

APQS Millennium 2006---MJ

APQS Millennium 2004---Lucy

405-533-1025 home

518-935-3832 cell

"Absolute rules are about as useless in making quilts as they are in raising children" Carter Houck---1992