Is this a good deal? Please help!

Hello all!

I am in the saving up and doing my research stage of LA shopping. I have come across two used machines and have searched online for comparisons, but I am sure that you guys and gals are the best resource I could pull from. Here are the details...

The Ultimate 1 w/ 14 ft table. Variable speed, but no stitch regulator. Collected quite a bit of dust in storage for 8 months. Might be missing rear table/shelf for pantographs. Asking $2,500.

Ultimate XX w/ 14 ft table - asking $2,800.

I have not seen either machine yet, but have made arrangements to view them both this upcoming Saturday. I know both machines are older and will likely need some major tune up work done. Can either of these be retrofitted with a stitch regulator that you know of? Does this sound like something worth checking out? I have seen the same machines listed for twice as much, so I thought "worst case" I might be able to shine it up and sell later to even make my money back to put toward my next machine as I am ready to move up. I just attended an APQS seminar and am still drooling thinking about a new machine. I thought it would be great to have a chance to get started without having to take out a loan.

ANY advise is appreciated!!

Have a great day!

Amy

I think you are on a good track. I first purchased an Ultimate 2. It\'s the size of a Liberty. I did not have a stitch regulator . It was great for practice and then later on I inherited a little money and I was able to upgrade to a Milli. The Ultimate 1 can also be retrofitted with an Intellistitch Stitch regulator. It would be an in expensive way to go to see if you really want to spend the big money. You can also sell the Ultimate one later if you decide to upgrade so you won\'t be out much and you get to use it to practice. A.PQ.S is great and they will help you gt it going even if they don\'t make it anymore. I also saw an add that they are offering Ultimate 1 owners a chance to trade in that head for a Milli.

Hi Amy,

The Ultimate 1 is the same size as the Freedom and Millennium.

The Ultimate XX is huge and no longer being made. It was mainly used in drapery/upholstery shops for outlining. Here\'s a couple of pictures I have of it. The throat is 30+ ". This machine would be very difficult to do good freehand quilting with.

post--13461899228106_thumb.jpeg

Thank you both so much - great information. I did look up pictures of the larger machine and thought it looked like a beast of a machine. I will get more details and plan to take pictures when I view the Ultimate 1 and get back to the seller within a few days as to my decision. I may have to post the pictures to get your opinions. Does anyone know how much it would cost to retrofit the Ulimate 1 with a stitch regulator?

Hi Amy,

I purchased a used Ultimate II. Not quite the same as an Ultimate I, but fairly close. I saw it listed on this group in Dec. 2006, and made an offer, and purchased it a few weeks later for $2800. It was a local purchase, so no shipping was involved.

In August 2007 I had the Intellistitch stitch regulator put on it for $3000,

http://www.intellistitch.com/contact.php

That cost, plus $200 travel expenses for the the Intellistitch reps. to travel my home and spend the day inspecting and cleaning the machine. Installing a new motor and laser on my Ulti and the regulator. New motor and laser are automatically part of buying the Intellistitch.

Also the reps. spent another 1.5 hours showing me how to operate the new stitch regulator before they left, and they would have stayed longer if I needed more help learning how it works. That\'s part of the purchase as well.

After this installation, my machine was essentially like a new machine. Although I must say it had no internal or external wear or tear to start with. It was just nice to have someone look inside,check parts and wiring, etc. and give it a good cleaning.

So, all in all--- even with the purchase of the Intellistich (which BTW I love!) I don\'t have a lot invested in my Ultimate II. and it should last me for many years.

I\'m not sure that APQS has an aftermarket stitch regulator that they install on their older model machines. So, check on that before you decide on the Ultimate I.

Hope this info. helps.

Archived