Quiet here a little lonely

Denise

Just wondering if any of you gals have any ideas on what a people person should do who quit her job and no longer has an outside job.....Quilting at home is fine....but I am very lonely as my hubby works PM\'s...i am going to need an outside job just to get some lady talk in.....

Oh does this bring back memories!!! When I quit my job we had moved to the country (bought a farm) and were living on a long dead-end dirt road. My SO was also gone days AND pms. I caught myself many mornings with the house cleaned immaculately by ten am and then I would sit and look out the big window at the road. It dawned on me one morning that no one was going to be \'driving by\'! I think it took me a year to get past the routine of \'work\'. Then I took up horses, gardening, sewing, cooking, and never looked back. You will fill the void, give it time. Join a guild, do a little volunteer stuff, meet new people with your interests, it will happen.

Yep, I\'m a talker - as if you all had not noticed...I think I am over the 3000 mark on posts :) Anyway, I too quit my job where I talked to people. I\'m getting better about working at quilting but catch myself getting bored and then I either eat, watch tv for about 5 minutes, or get on this chat. Then I am ready to go back to work. I find that the music helps, especially if I know the words...then I can sing at the top of my lungs. Since no one is home, it doesn\'t hurt anyone\'s ears :D I visit my LQS to get in some conversation, that is always fun. I\'m thinking of getting my hair done more often, they like to talk.....It gets easier.

There must be some volunteer work you can do. Work in a charity shop(for free), help at the local hospital, disabled group, day centre for the elderly or disabled. Join local daytime activity groups, painting classes, sports groups. Do you like gardening, growing vegetables. Do you have vegetable allotments in the USA - sites where you can have a piece of land and grow veggies? (that\'s why I\'m veg-girl, my other obsession is growing fruit and veg so I spend a lot of time making jam etc).

Denise, I was lonely too when I was first married. Worked part time but needed someone to talk too, especially an adult when my kids were born. I found a friend in the same situation and we visited by phone 1/2 to 1 hour every morning! We really didn\'t even need much to talk about, we just chatted. We sometimes called later in the day just to ask a silly question. We filled a void in each others lives. We are still best friends after almost 30 years and talk days I don\'t work. My DH doesn\'t get why I need to chat with her but he justs accepts it after all these years.

And, of course, these message boards are a neat way to meet new people who have a common interest.

I have a friend who quilts too. We often call each other several times a day just to chat about not much.

Volunteering is a great way to meet people. But, I have found that I do like being home and gardening does take up time. Wish my garden looked as good as yours, Yvette. I had to give up growing veggies out here in the woods...not enough light and the critters got everything so the farmers market is my favorite place in the summer.

Cheryl

How about contacting a local social worker at a hospital or nursing home to see if there is some one that could use a quilt. Maybe a nursing home resident with out nearby family or a foster child who could take their quilt from place to place. Next time there is a local quilt show put up a sign stating what you\'re doing and and have a sign up sheet if anyone would like to join you. DB

I started as a volunteer at a non-profit thrift shop then was asked to work 3 days a week. I\'d like to work only 2 days but have this huge cloud of responsibility over my head. It\'s great to be out but I am basically a loner and would like to stay home about 5 days a week. I live 21 miles from town and just don\'t have enough alone time. I think if you started volunteering you would find it to be very rewarding. Who knows, maybe you would start working 1-2 days a week too. Grandchildren are another huge time filler. Can\'t get enough of the little girls.

Archived