still scared of my machine

darcy

Hello~ I have not logged in for a Long time. I am still having trouble loading a quilt on my rollers. I am an idiot I think.:(

My mind goes blank when approach the machine and attempt. I have been busy making quilt tops instead! My machine is an older model APQS ultimate 1. I have to adjust at each end of the table as I go. I have only three bars instead of four. I have No stitch regulator and am unable to get it installed on this model. I think I bought too quickly with out looking at all my options. Can some one help me with some directions on how to load a quilt?? Pictures qould be great. Does any one live in Minnesota and could come over to help. I am so desperate right now. I am even thinking of selling it. Please HELP!!!!??? Thanks for any advise~~~ Darcy

Darcy,

Did you get a video with your machine showing you how to load your quilts, also many other things are on it from oiling, cleaning and etc. These tapes are so helpful and will also have nmany other things them. Another wonderful information DVD is Myrna\'s, she shows you so much from loading to quitling and other ideas. Where do you live in MN? :)

Jean

Millenium

My machinn was bought used from another party. There were no videos or anything. She even had it set up wrong!! She was 90yr+. But any ways I have done table runners on it but I am sure I did not set up correctly! Worked though!! I did order a manual from APQS which was NO help. Says nothing about anything. It was just a bunch of copied notes and was expensive!

I have no advice on your machine but wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I was afraid of my machine for MONTHS. I made every excuse not to go up into my sewing room and the guilt I started feeling felt like a huge weight weighing on my shoulders.

I too bought a used machine (Millennium) and didn\'t get any instruction at first. I took several longarm quilting classes and the first time I did a "real" quilt it turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. It gave me a huge confidence nudge and I haven\'t looked back.

My first machine was not an APQS but it also came with no instructions, a man came to my house set it up and left. I didn\'t even know how to turn it on. Once I figured it out and got some practice stuff loaded... the wrong way, although I still load the same LOL If it\'s not broke... anyways I was so afraid of braking it or messing it up that I only used the on off switch and nothing else... about 7 or 8 months later a wonderful longarmer showed me how to turn the speed down, it seems I had been running it at top speed the whole time... no wonder I love to quilt sooooo fast now;) My best advice to you is don\'t be afraid, it\'s really just a sewing machine on wheels. Take a deep breath and remember longarm quilting is FUN, Besides once you watch one of Dawns DVD\'s you\'ll know more about the machine and how it works then I do after 7 years of quilting LOL Her videos, ,,,,, , Awesome !!! Good luck and let us all know how you\'re doing... there is nothing worse then feeling like you are going at this alone.:cool:

Hi Darcy,

From the looks of all who responded above, you have lots of terrific support from all sorts of people who want to help you. Isn\'t that wonderful to know?? :)

After you get your video from Dawn C, and help through phone calls from Bonnie and U2Us the others, you will be set.

After that, don\'t be afraid to just try. Everyone learns by sticking their neck out and brave and just do it. It looks scary at first but after a few times practicing you will get the hang of it. If I can do it, then surely You can do it, too. ;)

Many wishes to you from me that you will be up and running very soon. Pretty soon we will all want to hear stories and see pictures of your quilted quilts!

Hang in there.

Shana

Darcy, I was terrified of my machine for a full year...avoided the room...said hello occasionally...oiled and cleaned and turned out the lights. My husband was very understanding but I felt I had made a huge mistake. It still seems like everyone else has this amazing learning curve; there are such beautiful creations that \'newbies\' here have done. And, yet, I am having a blast in my slow, limping sort of way...I am getting some things done, playing, and practicing. I am get frustrated that my PPP just doesn\'t seem to produce the wonderful things I see here. But I have stopped blaming the machine :P ! I do have some wonderful videos that I watch over and over---although in the beginning that was mostly an excuse not to actually be on the machine! And I get wonderful comments from non-quilters---good thing they can\'t see what we see accomplished here! Best wishes and be kind to yourself, Caroline

You\'re certainly not an idiot. When I first got my Mille I use to lay the backing, batting and top on the floor and pin it together and then take it to the machine and pin it to the leaders. Thankfully Myrna took pity on me and wrote out directions for me, (thank you Myrna), her beginners video is fantastic.

Pam H

I bought my machine secondhand and no manual, nothing. LOL, I was terrified for six months then moved up to timidly afraid, then up to oh what the h***, it\'s just a giant sewing machine! Get Linda V. Taylors Longarm Machine Quilting book. It became my bible and has everything you need to get going. Very good pics of loading and such. I don\'t understand your \'only three bars\' sentence, my machine only has three bars but it isn\'t an APQS either. I am also using a manual written for the Gammill because there really isn\'t anything decent for my brand. Hang in there, you\'ll get it:-)

Darcy, the single most inspirational moment I heard about getting into long-arming was in listening to Karen McTavish talk about her beginnings. Talk about a trial by fire!! She is an amazing quilter now, but what a hilarious tale she spins about her own starting: very human, very funny, and very encouraging. (Oh, yeah, she did some quilting too!!)

Caroline

Finally, I have pictures of the machine I will pick up in 4 days! Is this what yours looks like Darcy? I will be in your shoes in less than a week - keep me posted on any "must have" information you gather.

Hang in there with me ladies - I only know how to post one picture at a time.

post--13461899278076_thumb.jpg

Archived