Holding The Quilt

I notice in a lot of webshots that quilters are using things like yardsticks on the top of the rollers to hold the clamps up at the edges. I got tired of chasing the sticks everytime I rolled the quilt so went to WalMart and for 89 cents each purchased two of the white expandable curtain rods.

The kind you hang kitchen/bathroom curtains on. They bend down on the ends and so don't go running around on the floor under the machine when you roll the top. I set mine across the rollers and then squeezed them a bit with pliars so they remain the same width. One less frustration to deal with:-) Haveta get off the computer and go quilt today - love this list in the mornings with coffee.

Mary and Big Girl

At Lowes, they have these nice oak type boards (over on the lefthand back corner at our store). I think they're for cabinetmaking or some kind of craft but they're real nice, straight, good quality hardwood. I bought 2 that are each 36" long, 3.5" wide and 1/4 inch thick. DH glued two pegs near each end so that they kind of rest against my tension bar (or whatever that one is called that has nothing on it) and the roller with the quilt top (unquilted part). Then he used some teenie little nails (almost the size of applique pins) and put some 1 inch sides along the 36" edges. Now I have two 36" long trays where I can keep scissors, bobbins, marking pencils, phone, etc.

I put my clamps over these "trays" and it lifts them up just enough to keep them from bumping the extended base.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of clamps....here's a little tip for you! I LOVE our wonderful elastic straps that APQS supplies but it drove me crazy when I they flew out of the suspender type brackets!:o I would have to stop what I was doing (whoa is me) and weave each end back into its place. I finally realized all I had to do was to place a corsage pin at the end of each elastic strap and that pin prevents it from coming all the way out! Very simple, very easy and VERY very cheap!:D

Guest Linda S

Sherry -- thanks for sharing. Of course, I had to sneak a peek at all the pictures. You gave me some really good ideas about what to do for some storage in my new space. I'll have to start cruising garage sales looking for cabinets now! :)

Linda

Archived