Cotton batting

Hi everybody,

So far, I only have used medium loft polyester batting with all my personal and customer quilts.

Tomorrow, a lady will drop off another top and wants me to use the cotton batting she'll provide.

Is there anything that needs to be done differently than when using polyester batting?

Thanks for any advise.

Best, Birgit

I probably use as much cotton batting as I do polyester batting. I don't do anything special or different. After the quilt is washed, the cotton batting shrinks more, so the quilt has more of an old look to it. Also, I think, you can quilt farther part with the cotton than polyester.

If the cotton batting is wrinkled, just pop it in the dryer for a few minutes.

Charlene

I love using 100% cotton. Warm & Natural or Warm & White is what my clients usually want. It's not a big deal but most of the cotton battings have a right and wrong side. The smoother side goes against the backing and the puffier or lumpier side faces the top. This will help reduce any bearding.

I hope I have that right :)

They also have a little bit of polyester in them as a scrim so be careful in the drier as they will scorch if left too long. How do I know that? :( So now I stand by the drier even on low to babysit any batting that I'm fluffing.

Hope this helps!!

Pat

Birgit,

If you use a good quality cotton, such as Warm and Natural, or Quilter's dream in the heavier weights, you will never want to go back to poly. But if you must use a poly, have you tried Hobb's new Polydown? It's puffy, compresses to nothing, weighs nothing and is finely combed. It's the BEST!!!

Good Luck!

Caron

Caron,

Ever since I've first discovered online quilting groups based in the US, I have been following the discussions of pros and cons of different sorts of batting. Always, people seem to be very fond of cotton batting.

Well, my problem is that I cannot get affordable 100% cotton batting locally. When LQSs carry cotton batting it's the thin stuff - and sooo expensive. There is a German manufacturer of a wide range poly batting and basically that's the vast majority of quilters is using.

I personally never have used cotton batting. However, since I encourage customers to provide their choice of batting, this lady brought cotton batting.

It will be a first for me - and I'm quite excited about how it'll work.

I'll keep you posted on the result.

Thanks a lot,

Birgit

Andrea,

I don't know if there is place online where the pros and cons of different types of batting are discussed.

On most online forums this discussion comes up regularly. From what I've read, this has a lot to do with personal preferences and with the type of quilt you are making. The main difference is that cotton batting will shrink some when washed creating a vintage look. Poly batting doesn't shrink.

For us Europeans, there also is the question about what is available at which price. I don't know about Switzerland, but the favorite poly batting in Germany is Freudenberg batting. It's produced in Germany and thus doesn't have to be imported.

Cotton like wool batting is sooo expensive here.

Have you found a good source for batting in Switzerland?

Birgit

I really like the cotton batting or a blend of 80%cotton/20%poly (Hobbs). I like the way it stands up over time, the coziness of it. I also believe it is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. It's too bad that it is so expensive in Europe. It's kind of how I feel about fabrics in Canada...they seem to be so much cheaper in the States.

I am really wanting to try wool batting but the price of that has put me off so far. It seems that any distributor has a minimum, ie: 4 per case.

My favourite quilt of all time is done with organic cotton, it is soooo soft! I carried it for a while but customers were put off by the seeds in it. My quilt is done in 30's reproduction and white background with a beautiful appliqued border (if I do say so myself!), so any oil emitted from the seeds in the batting has kind of added to the old look of the quilt. It actually won Viewers Choice and I really think that the batting helped.

I'd like to hear people's opinion on the wool batts....

Have a great day............Sandra:D

I ONLY stock cotton batting as I detest using poly. I think that poly seems to lose the definition of the quilting over time, it will get stiff as a board if you quilt heavily, and I envision it to sleeping under a trashbag since it *is* poly after all. <LOL!!> I do keep Hobbs 80/20 in stock since many of my customers request it, but my personal favorite is the 100% cotton Hobbs bleached batting- no scrim. I also like using Linda Taylors Choice 100% cotton batting from Hobbs (it is only available through LEQuilters) when I want a heavier cotton batt. Warm and White is another batting I use, but only if there is NOT heavy quilting as it seems to get stiffer than the Hobbs does. I also like Quilter's Dream 100% cotton in Deluxe or Supreme lofts- but it is more expensive than the Hobbs cotton. I really like Hobbs wool too, but not as much as the wool/alpaca blend from "Back To Back" (Sue Bunch). The wool does not seem to "remember" folding creases as much as the cotton, plus wool just feels luxurious, and it is more expensive as well.

Last year I was involved in a batting comparision swap with 40 other longarm quilters where each of us quilted a bleached muslin "wholecloth" with the same pantograph (Jody Beamish's Daisy Swirl) using the same brand of muslin and same Signature thread. We then cut our "wholecloths" in half and washed half. We cut 10" squares of each side (washed and unwashed), labeled them with the batting info and washed or unwashed, and attached a batting sample to this, along with our opinion on how it was to work with. Then we all swapped squares. Now I have samples of 40 different battings, in both both washed and unwashed quilts, with a sample of the actual batting to show people who are unsure of which batting is their preferred type. We did this on Linda's site (http://www.longarmchat.com) and the "Batting Comparisions" results were posted.... However, she has since switched servers, so I am not sure if the results are still there or not???? You might check and see.....

***Maybe, we should do something like this here since no one else was a part of this batting comparision project???

If we can't get the results from Linda's website I think that's a great idea Tina. Count me in.

FYI: Both Hancocks of Paducah and King's Men Quilting Supply show Hobbs Heirloom 80%/20% as their best seller.

I use both Hobbs and Warm & Natural 100% cotton. Recently I have had requests for 80/20 and will be placing an order this week. I also use Hobbs 100% wool and I love it but my customers don't want to pay the higher price. It works great when you want some of your design to puff out around the tighter quilting. (like trapunto) I use it on my own lap quilts because it keeps me so warm and toasty and it's completely washable.

Recently I had a customer ask me about 100% polyester batting, which I have never used. I told her I would do a sample to see how it looks. She said that her husband thinks that the cotton and wool battings are too hot for him. I figured I would buy some Hobbs Polydown and try it out. I'll let you all know. I wonder how our poly batting compares to the ones in Germany?

Last year I purchased a roll (30 yards) of Hobbs 100% bleached cotton (without scrim) and I'm going to donate it to the local guild. Terrible stuff. Doesn't hold it's shape and gets holes it in easily. Hopefully they can use it in some of their non-quilt projects.

This is a great discussion. There is always something to learn from other quilters.

Happy Quilting :D

The batting summaries are still available at http://www.longarmchat.com/batting.htm#5 if anyone is interested!

Jean,

I can't believe you had such trouble with your 100% Hobbs cotton!! I've never had any issues with getting holes in it or it losing it's shape or anything else!.... (knock on wood!!) Too bad you don't live closer, we would work out a trade!! LOL!!

Hey, just out of curiousity.... Are you a heavy quilter?? I tend to quilt more densely than most... and wonder if maybe you quilt with more open spaced designs?--- Would that contribute to your dis-satisfaction of the quilt holding it's shape??? Just got me wondering is all!

Isn't it a little funny how we all have our own specific preferences??? :D

Originally posted by birgitquilts

Cotton like wool batting is sooo expensive here.

Have you found a good source for batting in Switzerland?

Birgit

Hi Birgit,

No, I have not found a good source yet. My nearest shops carry Freudenberg and not a lot to choose from .http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/images/smilies/sad.gif I will check at the next big fair in Zurich to see what the swiss market is offering.

As here a lot of sheeps, I wonder what they do with that wool. A lot of sheeps but not enough to support any industry I guess. I have to ask them. Perhaps I can get my own supplier *G http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/images/smilies/wink.gif

Pathutti made a good point about the right and wrong side of batting. It is especially important with cotton battings that have been needle punched for scrim. The batting needs to be placed in the quilt so that your needle will penetrate the batting in the same direction that the needles did when it was needle punched. When you look at the batting you can clearly see holes that go in on one side and holes that go out on the other side. If you put the batting in with the out holes up, your needle will have trouble penetrating the batt. Each time your needle hits one of the holes it comes in contact with a small bit of fiber that was punched from the hole. It is hard for your needle to push the fiber from the hole back through itself.

I learned this at Innovations last year as well as other batting do's and don'ts. It's been very helpful to me.

Pam

Cotton has virtually NO LOFT and will not fill up piecing boo-boos like an 80/20 blend will. I do not like W&N/W&W as it quilts up stiff as a board. Quilter's Dream cotton is very drapeable, but their thin loft is very thin. The stitching just sort of lays there and doesn't really nestle into the quilt sandwich (at least that's how I perceive it on my machine). Warm and White/Warm and Natural is not 100% cotton; read the label. I think its 87% cotton... I hate the stuff but will use it if a customer bring it to me. However no matter how I load it (bumps up or bumps down) or stitch it (new needle, old needle, sharp or ball point) I still get cotton poking through the back. Its not bad with a light colored backing, but on a dark back... ugh. Customers sign that they understand this is not a defect but just a result of this batting and my machine.

Another cotton--MM White Rose or Cream Rose--is of the quality as Quilter's Dream. It is very thin but clean and consistent in loft. (Don't compare this to their yucky polys). I bought a bolt at MQS two years ago and have yet to get a customer quilt flat enough for this batting; I use it in my own projects. Never again will I buy 100% cotton on a bolt due to the price point, which is too much for my customer base.

Hobbs wool is my favorite batting, and what I use in most of my own bed quilts. It is pricey but worth every penny.

Tina, my quilting varies between dense and large meanders. It all depends on what the clients wants and are willing to pay. Most of my problems were when I was racking it up. I would have to be so gentle or it would lose it's shape. It is too bad that you don't live closer, I could make you a heck of a deal. I do love the feel of it, soft as a baby's behind. ;)Maybe I should list it in the classified section.

Happy Quilting :D

I totally agree with LindaN about Warm & Natural and will only use if a customers brings, but NO MATTER what, you always get the pokies unless the backing is very light and they don't show. I'm a Hobbs 80/20 person but carry 100% cotton as some customers want that along with Poly, because I do get request for that puffy look now and then. Quilters Dream batting is very soft, but I think too much for the LA as it stretches and gets thin spots too easily. This would be a great batting for hand quilting.:cool:

Hester Mastro

"It all depends on what the clients wants and are willing to pay..."

Jean,

Yes, I can definitely relate to that!! ;) I totally agree that you have to be much more gentle with the 100% no scrim cotton and it does need to be densely quilted or it will not hold it's dimension very well, but it is the finished feel of it that makes me love it. Most of my own quilts are made with it, and I love that they are so snuggly.... BUT keep in mind that these are NOT show quilts by any stretch of the truth (LOL!) so being perfectly "executed" was no concern. I will usually just do an overall freehand or a denser CQ panto on my own quilts, so I don't have to worry about any open areas of feather work and such keeping their loft/shape. I would rather use wool or Linda's Choice cotton for show quilts, if the choice was mine... but then I very rarely make any of my own quilts for show... too much stress for me if I am not getting paid well! ( LOL!!:mad: I am my own worst customer when it comes to paying!! LOL!!:D)

I think you should list your batting in the classifieds... maybe there is a quilter near you that would love it as much as I do!!

Archived