I feel like crying

I just don\'t understand what I\'m doing wrong. I was happily sewing along on my Gammill when bang my needle broke. I cleared out all the pieces had a look around and inserted a new needle and started sewing again all was fine for about three mins and Bang my needle breaks again. So I figured it must be my timing (I posted about my timing troubles back in Feb) my timing looks good so I put in another new needle and try to start again. Only now I can\'t pick up my bobbin thread.

To make a long frusterating story short It looks like my needle is going down in-front of my bobbin I tried to fix it only suceeded in messing up my timing. I\'m tired and frusterated and I can\'t figure out why my machine keeps doing stuff like this. It seems to happen every couple months and I mess around nearly in tears because I really don\'t know what I\'m doing until I get it to work.

ANY advice would be so helpful. I have stopped for the day I think I can\'t take anymore. I have the manual I\'m trying to find a section that matches my problem, but honestly I don\'t know what all the pieces are.

Thank you for listening to my whine.

~Meghan

I\'m sorry you\'re having a tough time. I don\'t know anything about a Gammill but I will say a prayer for you.

I\'ve been having tension problems myself and am heading down now to work on it again.

It will get better. Just hang in there. There are a lot of people here who give great advice. They will help you any way they can.

Good luck.

Dear Meghan,

I would be on the phone with my Rep or service dept at Gammill. I am sure they can help with this.

Tomorrow is another day!:)

Originally posted by Sewsoft

I just don\'t understand what I\'m doing wrong. I was happily sewing along on my Gammill when bang my needle broke. I cleared out all the pieces had a look around and inserted a new needle and started sewing again all was fine for about three mins and Bang my needle breaks again. So I figured it must be my timing (I posted about my timing troubles back in Feb) my timing looks good so I put in another new needle and try to start again. Only now I can\'t pick up my bobbin thread.

To make a long frusterating story short It looks like my needle is going down in-front of my bobbin I tried to fix it only suceeded in messing up my timing. I\'m tired and frusterated and I can\'t figure out why my machine keeps doing stuff like this. It seems to happen every couple months and I mess around nearly in tears because I really don\'t know what I\'m doing until I get it to work.

ANY advice would be so helpful. I have stopped for the day I think I can\'t take anymore. I have the manual I\'m trying to find a section that matches my problem, but honestly I don\'t know what all the pieces are.

Thank you for listening to my whine.

~Meghan

Meghan,

Been there, done that - crying alone when it seems like nothing is ever going to work right again.

Like Linda said, call your technical support people as soon as possible.

And like Farmwife said, hang in there - this is the place where you can "whine" with freedom, except we don\'t call it "whining" here, it\'s "sharing in stress"!;)

If you can\'t reach Gammill service ( I have no idea whether they are as available as APQS tech reps are, but I hope so, for your sake), is there anyone you know that has a Gammill that you can call and talk through your issues? Maybe they would have a different slant on the problem.

We\'ll be thinking successful thoughts for you!

Thank you everyone I really appreciate your thoughts, prayer and advice!! I went and messed around a bit more and got my timing better it needs a bit of fine tuning but at least the needle goes up and down now. So now I just have to figure out how to get the bobbin thread working... or rather get the needle working in the right spot :S

Its a learning curve for me, the only person we know with longarm experience is my Aunt whom we got the machine from... she though maybe the needle was bent... nope tried 4 different needles LOL.

Thank you again everyone!!

~Meghan

when my gammill does this it is one of four things

1. rocking finger out of adjustment

2.anti- spin spring inside bobbin

3. or the finger is holding bobbin casing too tight and not letting the thread pass easily

4.or a burr somewhere.

hope this might help Carol

Thank you so much Carol, I\'ll check those things in the morning (I had to look up what they were tonight!)

I applied for the Gammill owners yahoo group that Gammill has posted on their website, but was denied. So I guess I\'m oput of luck internet wise from Gammill... Hopefully one of your wonderful replies will be my solution.

I\'ll keep you all posted

~Meghan

I just visited the Gammil web page and clicked the link that takes you to the users group. Now i understand Meghans frustration. This is what I found. “This group is to help fellow Gammill Owners ONLY with issues and ideas related to their machine….This group is for current owners of Gammill machines. If you are in the process of deciding on a machine, please come back and join after you have a Gammill machine.” I’m like, WHAT!? I’m floored by what I just read. For some reason I felt like i was back in high school.

I have a Nolting and when I couldn\'t get help with the hook and timing issues (no manual available) I found Linda Taylors site and there free for download was everything you could want for the Gamill. What works for the Gamil also works on my Nolting! I downloaded the whole thing and keep it close by now. I was able to change the hook and retime using it.

I think her site is Electric Quilt. Changing out the hook and or retiming is the same for all of these commercial machines.

I find this list (APQS) to be the most open and helpful along with the least judgemental people:-) And if I ever buy a new machine it will be an APQS based on those reasons.

I love this site. You guys are trying to help Meghan and she doesn\'t even have an APQS machine. How cool is that?

Meghan, I wonder if the reason that you were denied membership could be related to your current yahoo account. You have to have a yahoo account before they will let you join a yahoo group. Yahoo, not Gammill, dictates the rules on membership in that group. I went to

www.gammill.net and clicked on the Forums link and was sent to the

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GammillOwners/ web page.

I found that abbreviated quote that ammoman gave in an earlier post. It does seem unfriendly, doesn\'t it. Or snobbish. Maybe they don\'t want any wanna-bes on their forum. Their loss, I think we all have something to contribute.

I have been on boards and groups for years. In the early days, forums were run by folks as a hobby, not a full-time job. So you would somtimes get slow responses to problems or memberships. I think that yahoo may be alot like the old days. I\'m so happy that APQS has a professional web-site with lots of admin support and so many helpful quilters. I love it here.

But in the interest of fairness, I wanted to include the full text of the message on yahoo Gammill group.

Description

This group is to help fellow Gammill Owners ONLY with issues and ideas related to their machine.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN, PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR MACHINE.

This group is for current owners of Gammill machines. If you are in the process of deciding on a machine, please come back and join after you have a Gammill machine.

We only have one rule here and that is no bashing of other machines, or your dealers. This is not the place to air your grievances with a dealer. We are here to help each other, not put others down.

Thank you.

For those of you who do not know me, I got my start on 2 APQS Ultimate I\'s, the workhorse of the fleet. Like Meghan, I wish that Gammill had a chat spot like this one. But I like it fine here.

Meghan, It would be well worth your money to buy the mainaince DVD for the Gammill. It is by Rick Taylor and has helped me out a lot. It shows how to make all the adjustment with closeups of the bobbin area. I wish there was better support too. Unfortunately, when we buy machines second hand, we just don\'t get help. Good luck!! Michelle

Thank you EVERYONE!!! You all are Fantastic!!!! I did get ahold of someone at Gammill who did help I finally got my machine fixed!! YAHOO!!!!

I have been looking for an instructional DVD.. I will buy that Michelle sugested right away!!!!

I can\'t thank you all enough I love that you all replied and helped me... you made me feel so much better!!!

Thank you!!!!!;)

Sorry I should have said what I did. I ended up having to redo my timing completly... The hook was going through the shaft at the down rather then the up. I have NO idea why it all of a sudden happened, the machine was sewing perfectly and then bam the needle broke (twice) and it didn\'t work.

To me the timing looked good usually when the timing is off on our machine the needle is hitting it looked fine I didn\'t think about it being completely off.

I keep telling myself everytime we have a problem with our machine I learn a little bit more about them... I wish I could spend a day shadowing a tech though, that would be a nicer less stressful way to learn :P

Update:

ahhh Fixed broken fixed broken... but its jsut timing issues and I bought the Rick Taylor maintenance video on thequiltingschool.com (so I could watch right away without having to wait for shipping)

I\'m not frusterated anymore I actually feel empowered "I am going to fix this machine" better then it ever has been, I feel like I understand so much more after watching the video, Thank you Michelle for recommending it...

And THANK YOU everyone else for all your PT&P. I thought I had the machine fixed before its being a bit challenging now but its a learning experience and now I have the tools to deal with it.

THank you!

It is good to be involved with this chat. There are some really wise people here. The good thing is that there is no discrimination, any machine owner is welcome. It does help when we are having trouble with our machines to go ahead and tell what brand or model, etc that we are working with so someone can help.

Linda Card, I hope "they" don\'t ever have a chat like ours...I don\'t want you to leave us completely!:)

Archived