pull out those thinking caps!

i have a piecing math queston.

the story,

i had a lady call with this lovely lonestar wanting me to finish it. i thought 8-pointed star, no problem. MY BAD! it\'s a 6 pointed lonestar.

now, what is the math to figure out what size setting triangles to use, and what size to cut a rectangle to "square" it up?

i\'ve looked everywhere for directions to something like this, and they are all 8-pointed lonestars (which i can do the math on that one...)

the triangles measure 26" from the y-seam to the point...

this much math makes my brain hurt...

post--13461899442756_thumb.jpg

I took an applique class at MidAtlantic QuiltFest and the instructor was Carol Blevins, whose been on Simply Quilts.

She had a quilt with a star similar to this one you\'re showing, and she said to make it simple, she appliqued it on. It looked great.

She has a special applique method using a NONfusible backing, invisible thread, a very small (size 8) needle, the open toe foot, and the blind hem stitch with very particular settings.

But when it\'s done, it looks just like it was hand appliqued.

If you want to try this, I could send you the settings.

THe angle of the setting blocks were it goes next to the star fabric is 120 degrees. That means that both edges are bias, so you might want to starch your fabric before you cut it, or staystitch the edges once you\'ve cut it out. Applique is probably the easiest thing to do.

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

The big angle is 120 degrees. Use your existing diamonds to draw lines 26" long and then join between. Make sure you draw and measure from the sewing line and then add seam allowance at the end.

Half diamonds will fill the star to make a hexagon,you then need long thin triangles to make into a square.

Draw it out on a large sheet of paper first.

The length from tip to tip of the half diamonds is 45.03" (I hope)

i greatly appreicate all the advice. after a slightly sleepless night, i called my customer this morning and explained that my brain was SO full, that i would like to applique it to the background, and she agreed! YEAH! my life just got tons easier. plus after i posted yesterday, i started doing some measurements, and found that not one point measures the same. so so so glad i get to applique it.

thanks all.

Shannon,

An added idea. Have sewn and designed for years......when I get a problem like this, I just lay the piece out (in this case the quilt) over butcher paper and trace along the edge of the piece I need to match up to. I remove the piece (quilt) and add the seam allowance on the butcher paper. You now have a template. I would then compare this template to the other areas to be filled. If there is much of a difference, I would make a template for each area - if not, just average and do some easing as needed. No math, and it always works for me. When I don\'t have a large piece of butcher paper - I just tape piece of paper from my printer together.

Good luck,

Meg Marshall

Archived