What books do you recommend?

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

What a trip down memory lane! :D I read through this thread this morning when I saw there were new posts. It brings back my excitement of getting my studio set up and getting my machine. I still feel just about the same level of excitement for quilting.

Misslodis - actually, Karen has four books out and is working on what she tells me will be her last one (although I asked her to promise that she might change her mind!). I have Quilting for Show, Whitework Quilting, Mastering the Art of McTavishing, and The Secrets of Elemental Quilting. I think her next book is a re-work of Quilting for Show. I can't wait to see it!

I've had three classes with Karen - I so want to be her when I grow up.

Linda

Linda Taylor's and Carol Thelan's if you are about to buy a machine or thinking about it. I almost wore Carol's book out in the year before I bought mine.

Ann Bright has some great pattern books, Pam Clarke, Nicole Webb, Jamie Wallen, Janie Donalson, Darlene Epp's (and her CD about Panotos) Lots of books are available at libraries with quilting designs galore. I usually have 15 to 20 quilting books checked out often just to peruse the quilting for ideas. If I have a problem quilt that I can't figure out what to do I'll do a search for quilting books with that type of quilt. Webshots is also a great place for ideas but I can't crawl into bed with a computer.

I love the DVD's that soo many people are producing. I just saw the Pajama Quilter this week and it's great for beginning freehand (nonbeginners can also pick up some new designs and tips)--I changed the leaves on a freehand border that I had on the machine when I watched it the first time. Linda Taylor's DVD's from her shows, Karen McTavish's DVD's are wonderful, Nicole Webb does a great job showing you how to's for freehanding, Pam Clarke's DVD's are awesome. I love the DVD's because they SHOW you how and you can stop, start, and rewind as you practice their techniques if you have a TV or computer in your quilting room.

Archived