Rulers

As a Newbie, I have no idea about all the gadgets and goodie out there for use. I had heard about a ruler called Rene\'s Rays, or Rene\'s Arcs. Has anyone heard of then before? As a newbie what should I be looking for in rulers, gadgets.........

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kerry,

Renee\'s rulers are used to create wonderful arcs and swags on the quilt, just to name a few uses. They allow for lots of creativity!

If you are just starting out, my biggest piece of advice is to be a bit conservative when it comes to gadgets and gizmos until you decide what kind of quilting you actually like to do. A straight edge ruler can do many things, from stitching in the ditch to cross hatching (if it is etched appropriately.) It can even be used to stitch curves, though it requires some patience and more importantly, practice.

When deciding on things like templates and rulers, try to think about how many times you see yourself using the product. For example, you can find rulers cut to specific sizes of double wedding ring curves, that help you stitch around the arcs on that quilt design. But, how many double wedding rings will you do? If you\'re doing it for others, it could be several; but if it\'s for yourself, is it worth the $35 for that gadget to be used once and then sit in a drawer?

Look for "testimonials" from other quilters; ask them how often they\'ve used the product in the last year. Ask them if there was only one or two gadgets that they were allowed to keep and they had to give away the rest, what would they find most valuable to them?

Even though you\'ll get lots of different answers, it will help you evaluate trends and then you can decide how to spend your budget each year on gadgets.

Welcome to the world of longarm quilting! Let us know how else we can help!

Hi Kerry,

I have just started to teach a beginner\'s class and bought a few rulers that I thought my students might like:

Sherry Rogers-Harrison - An Apple a Day (this is a really fun ruler especially for squares) and her Deluxe Dainty Ditcher (I also like and use a longer ruler for stitch-n-ditch) Her feather books are a lot of fun too. I really didn\'t think I could do feathers free-hand but I\'m getting a lot better at least on paper using Sherry\'s books. I\'ve been practicing for about two weeks. (Google Sherry Rogers-Harrison and you should find her website). I use Karen McTavish\'s bump, bump, back method for the feathers combined with Sherry\'s feathers and it works well for me.

I also bought Darlene Epp\'s pocket guides - a little pricey but she has some great free-hand designs and the price is worth it - I got three books for one price and you can practice her designs when you are away from your machine. (Google Trillium House for Darlene\'s stuff)

I have a CQ but I\'m really starting to enjoy the "ruler" work. Not all of my class attendees have a CQ and I\'m learning that some of the quilting "greats" do use ruler work extensively.

I think Dawn has a few rulers named after her also.

Good Luck!

Ye Olde Forest Quilt Shoppe

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all.

I just bought 3 different size rulers for stitch in the ditch, but am thinking of buying the circle lords. I was advised not the buy the Hartley Fence. What do you all think. I bought 8 pieced quilt tops at an auction about a month ago and thought these would be really good practice quilts. I have just about finshed with my practice quilt of sheets. I\'m afraid if I practice anymore it will fall apart for all the holes. I decided I\'m going to do this and have the best time of my life. Millie doesn\'t scare me as much as I\'m afraid I will fail at this. I have the control buttons down pretty good. I found a mentor and she thinks now I\'m doing pretty good. My pantos should arrive in the mail tom and I\'m excited about that. Hope it rains again Millie and I can be tog. instead of planting garden and flowers. hahaha...Thanks for the encouragement yesterday. It really helped. My husband is a big help to me in arranging the basement and now wants to build me a room of my own and "millie. Bless his heart. I really enjoy reading your ideas. I have skipped supper the last 2 nites to read. Maybe I will lose some more weight. haha

Brenda,

I think you should play some and get a handle on what you like to do. There are many options out there and not everything will be right for you. If you have a mentor that has some of the tools you can borrow then do that and figure out if you like it. Linda Rech will be selling the topper soon which is similar to what you can do with the Hartley fence and CL but from the front of the machine. I\'m one of the lucky first 3 and mine is on its way. I\'ll be sure to post what I think. I hate to work from the back of the machine so I\'m thrilled this option became available. My favorite is to do heirloom custom and there are many that cringe at the thought! For me they are the least stressful!!!! Do a lot of playing to decide what you like best.

Hi to all-

My DH invented this Topper System and it can be viewed with a couple of short videos on our website ( below my signature) The basic Topper stitches circles and the base can be used to secure block pattern boards for front-side stitching.

So far so good-- we have two testers (thanks Rita and Christi!) and four more Toppers out there. You can wait for critiques from Heidi and a few others or email me if you have any questions.

The innovation is the fact that all stitching is done from the front of the machine. Dennis has a few other magic things in the works---all using pattern boards and all from the front. The Toppers are available now.

Thanks for the interest--this forum is so supportive and I now have best friends all over the place--who I have never seen!

I have made tons of gizmos and purchaced many for my LA. Use what works for you. In reference to the topper,This is not a cratique, however I have looked at the video, it looks a bit like the HF and CL, only on the rails, this was done before, other Topper like gizzmos were made by various people for the SA and LA\'er years ago, but not widely taken to, I don\'t know why. It looks like the stylus bar is a bit thin and possibly bendable. Are your circles perfectally concentric, I saw some difficulties using both hands when making circles on the video. The HF and CL don\'t need both hands to work them. The placement for the stylus on the front of the machine looked a bit ackward trying to push the button on the right and working the TS from the left. Using one hand would be preferable, you can see her left hand wobbling when making the circle, and it doesn\'t look comfortable using both hands to make circles. I like the boards from R&S http://www.rns-design.com/ best for pattern board stuff. I have a modified HF that I\'ve built up with lots of great gadgets and gizmos that attach directally to the HF. Good luck in your venture.;);)

Michaelalan Paul,

Can you tell me, do you need to raise the machine to use the boards from rns-design like you do to use the circle lord? What sort of stylus do you use with these boards. I would like to try the design boards, but don\'t want to spend lots in case I don\'t care for it.

Thanks,

Carol

You go girl!!! I wish you the best in your adventure and I hope you laugh all the way to the bank!!

xxoo

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hi to all-

My DH invented this Topper System and it can be viewed with a couple of short videos on our website ( below my signature) The basic Topper stitches circles and the base can be used to secure block pattern boards for front-side stitching.

So far so good-- we have two testers (thanks Rita and Christi!) and four more Toppers out there. You can wait for critiques from Heidi and a few others or email me if you have any questions.

The innovation is the fact that all stitching is done from the front of the machine. Dennis has a few other magic things in the works---all using pattern boards and all from the front. The Toppers are available now.

Thanks for the interest--this forum is so supportive and I now have best friends all over the place--who I have never seen!

I use the stylus with an adapter that goes down. I use the boards for the HF without the adapter. The boards work both ways for me, on the bed of the table or on the HF, but I customized the HF myself, so it\'s not something you can buy. BTW, I\'m only suggesting that the reach on the Topper is a bit long, especially looks awkward in the video......I have a HF that is pre patent and I took Longarm lessons from Marilyn;) in Oregon in 97, Hartley made us lunch that day, and we talked about the things in the future with quilting. :cool: My HF may be one of the first, and gussied up with other things but it works for me. :D Sherry don\'t be bitter I\'m not a pooper, just practical, BTW, Congratulations on your Tribal Fusion quilt, I\'m sure someday I\'ll see it ;):cool:

Well, I have the topper, the circle and star boards.. Once I learned how to hold the stylus, I\'ve not had trouble getting round circles nor straight line stars.. It\'s not hard, the hand holding the stylus just keeps it in the track, the right hand turns the machine on and guides it. Easypeasy.. The arm that holds the stylus is thin, but I\'ve not had a wink of trouble with it wanting to bend.. there\'s not much pressure put on it.

Am going to order more pattern boards, that I KNOW I will use, but only 2 or so at a time..

I have many rulers, and I have more than one of the same kind, several times.. one in the sewing room, one in the craft/cutting room. same with roller cutters, scissors, cutting mats, irons, etc..

So, think it over carefully, budget for it, then as you can or need to, add to what you have.

I believe Michaelalan said it was in no way a critique.. and his questions/statements were good.. and I think the Topper is Great.. so,, lol, am I a ooper, too? dunno, don\'t care..

we SHOULD be able to voice our opinions.. personally I\'d not heard of the earlier board, nor mention of it on several chat boards.. would love to check it out.. and more than one person can come up with the same ideas.. I like working from the front so I don\'t have to wonder what\'s happening across the sea, what the thread\'s looking like, do I have a wrinkle, (hundreds for sure on me) or a tuck and pucker.. (I have them, too. ) Also working from the back means we have to move the unit further into the already small room.. just so my body can get behind the table, the machine, and be comfy. All these things I had to take into consideration.. plus cost.. if you aren\'t sure what unit.. Well, I\'d go for this one.. at least it will tell me if I would use them enough to get the pricy ones, but if it works, with all the patterns coming out for it, why would I want to? dunno.. don\'t think I would.

No, Linda and D are not paying me to advertise, or back up or support, or defend (a good product doesn\'t need to be defended..) nor do I get free items.. I just get a lot of fun and come up with new ideas..

RitaR

Nicely put Rita, I\'m gonna save my money. I have something similar to the Topper and have had it for years, my UII has a stylus on both sides of the front and my HF conversion fits on the top rails with my device, so it doesn\'t matter if you do a king size you can use it on the edge by moving to the other side of the head. . It only took a PVC pipe cut in half, a few screws and a board, mine has springs that push against the PVC to hold it on the rails. less than $30.00 in material. I use the smaller pattern boards on the conversion once in a while, when I ordered my boards from R&S last year I had him drill a hole in the center so I could hook it up to my conversion. He was reluctant to drill a hole and told me that he didn\'t want to upset the people at CL, but I assured him that I had an old Hartley Fence that I had made adjustments to and would be attaching the boards to it. I believe that you have to provide your own stylus for the topper, I may be wrong, if so you have to invest in one unless you have one.;);)

e-mail to and from Ron at R&S

Thanks, I will put a small hole in the center of each board and get them shipped of to you.

Ron from rns-design.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:29 PM

To: Ron Moorehead

Subject: Re: Pattern Board Order

Thank you for the e-mail,

I do not have a circle lord, I have a hartley fence that I adapted years ago for my own home made

templets from plexy glass, but your wonder boards are perfect for my adaptation.

I only need a very small hole in the center.

thanks again

Quilt-On

Michaelalan Paul

http://classicquilter.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/michaelalanpaul

----- Original Message -----

To: michaelalanpaul@comcast.net

Cc: \'Sharon Moorehead\'

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:56 PM

Subject: Pattern Board Order

Hi Michaelalan,

I got your phone call and we called back and I understand you are some place warm and drinking mia tias. Hope you’re having fun.

You called about adding a hole in the boards you ordered; I am assuming you would like to use the boards on a circle lord system. Normally I don’t added the hole or say anything about a hole so I am not copying their design. I am willing to put a hole in the boards for you no problem, would you like them in the center of the boards and pattern? Do you know what size hole it needs to be? I have your order ready to ship once I put the holes in the boards.

Sorry it took a bit to get back with you, we were gone to Houston this last weekend and just now getting caught up.

Ron from rns-design.com

Quilt-on:cool::cool::cool:

Hi to all,

If anyone has a question about the Topper system, please come to the source (me) and I will be happy to reply. My email is under my signature, you can U2U me, or a link is on our website.

Speculating about how the system works is unfair if you have never seen/used one.

The arm is stainless steel and does not bend. It floats above the wheel.

The stylus is included and has two ends--one for the circle maker and one for pattern boards. It is very stable and stands upright in the groove all by itself.

Making one for yourself would be easy if you have the tools. Dennis uses $XX,XXX worth of machinery that he has collected for 30 years. He is estatic cuz now he has justified all that expense!!! If you can hire someone to machine all the parts--a stainless steel arm, machine-tooled stepped-stylus, routed wood, yadda yadda-- go for it. My DH is having a great time and so am I. If they sell, great. If not, that\'s fine too.

It is out there for people to make up their own mind--preferably after seeing one or hearing about it from someone who actually has used one.

Thanks for letting me run on. I appreciate everyone who has sent me their support and encouragement both here and privately. Love to you all.

I agree, you need to get the system that works for you. I have had the HF, it didn\'t work for me. However, I am not much of a modifier (is that a word?). I sold my HF and purchased the CL. I love it!! It may seem pricy, but when I have added up the price of purchasing the RnS templates to fit across the back of my table, to me it is not that much different. The main consideration for me, beside the fact the I love the product is the customer service I get from Michael and Kay. No matter what time of day or evening, if I have a problem, they are right there to help me or to answer my questions. That is not to say the other manufactures would not do the same, this has just been my experience with CL. Since I am satisfied I will stick with them.

Linda Rech\'s "Topper" looks to be a very good product, and working from the front of the machine is a plus. This product has just come out, and I had my CL first, so if I get this one...it will be down the road a bit, but I think it is worth checking into.

If there is any way at all for you to try these products before you buy do it. Ask around to people you know who do machine quilting to see if they have them and find out what they like or dislike. Ask them if you can try the product your self, then you decide.

Personally, I think you are investing a lot of money, you should be able to try them out.

:):):)This forum is about, quilting and sharing and APQS, as well as other longarmers with different makes and models. I am suggesting alternatives to off set the expense, believe me this isn\'t rocket science. Using this forum to advertise your products isn\'t illegal, but neither is suggesting other cheaper ways to get the same effect or better! I have the drills, saws, etc. and have been making gizmos for years for my LA, I don\'t do it for other people, I\'m not in a business. I believe in sharing some info, I\'m not making a profit. Almost anyone at home can make this for themselves, as well as a Fence or Circle maker style device for any machine. If they can\'t make one for themself, then it\'s great that there is someone out there who has the product they want at a significent price.:cool::cool::):):)

Quilt-On

:cool::cool:I believe that if you look you don\'t need all the parts from the CL to adapt to the front. I have scrutinized my moms CL and discovered that some models for CL will adapt to the front easier than the ones from the back.;);) for $30.00 or less you could adapt to the front and not use strings. The stylus bracket can be made from a wall bracket, the kind that go into the slot and you push down, they are made in different colors, use the vice and bend to desired angel and drill holes, grind if nessary.:cool::cool::cool:Quilters have some of the best imaginations and piece precision quilts, come on guys and gals, not rocket science, start putting it together, your improvements may make it a better tool.:cool::cool:

Archived