Rulers

Hey, The one that always seems to be out working is the shorter SID ruler from Off The Edge. The longer Dawn Cavanough (?) ruler isn\'t as good a fit for me. I also bought the cross hatch ruler from the CQT people last week and am using it today. It wins the prize for first used and I like it.

Donna

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;);)Thank you for the pics MB, I\'m wondering what the tab does, I have the stacking circle templets from 1" to 12" but I am interested in these, actually some of her other templets, I have already talked to Michelle about these and she was very nice, and also does custom cutting of templets, she said the site will be up in a wk or so:):)

The tab is used to line up the ruler on your block. You position the tab where you want to stop, outside edge of the tab is 1/4" so you line the outside of the tab up at the intersection so you can stop. This allows you to stop exactly where you should and there is no guessing at the 1/4". Once you have it lined up you rotate it out of your way and stitch.

There are instructions included with the templates. The tab is helpful when doing continous curves, it helps you line up with the seams so that you hit the curve in just the right spot. I\'m sure a lot of people who are very good with freehand do CC without rulers or templates...I am not that accomplished.

My plan at MQS was to find a set of circle templates to use for CC, but when the did they demo on these and it totally made sense to me and they looked ease, I was sold.

The crosshatch ruler looks like a very good one. It is a triangle shape with registration marks. You can work 2 sides of the ruler at a time completing the crosshatch in no time. I purchased this ruler also. I use my CL for the larger areas of crosshatching on a quilt, but I think this ruler will come in handy for smaller areas, and you can make the crosshatch the size you need for that particular area.

Hey MB. I hope you like the crosshatch ruler. It is one that I had Michelle make for me and she is selling it now (hence the name "Debbi\'s Crosshatch Triangle". It works great for borders and sashings and you get the crosshatch done in half the time!!:D:D

Debbi

OK, I just got off the phone with Michelle the lady makes the templets. I suggested that she use her system of the turning circle for other shapes like hearts and pasleys, diamonds, stars in various sizes and then you can do more shapes in various wreath like settings, way cool, she\'s gonna do it. she said I could tell you all, ;););)

Hawaii Barbara - It was good to meet you at MQS. Have you gotten over the jet lag? :P

The expanded base is a must when you use rulers. I don\'t know of any machine head without an expanded base (even those with thread cutters) that provides a stable base on which to lay rulers.

I used the RulerMate on my last machine.

Pros:

I loved the beveled edges

It has a round design

It is a large area for rulers.

Cons:

The RulerMate stuck out so far in the front that it kept bumping into the front roller. I lost about 3 inches of quilting space.

The RulerMate does not lift off and on like some other expanded bases. It requires that your needle plate be removed and the expanded base is actually screwed onto the machine head to replace the needle plate

I ordered from Donita Reeve\'s site (www.lovetoquilt.com) and it was back-ordered for a whilte. It took about 3 weeks to get it. It cost about $100

Hey Barbara - I have an extra Hartley base like they sell on APQS. If you would like it, I could bring it to the June 6th meeting - that is if you can make it. New for a Millie with a thread cutter is $125, I\'ll make it 1/2 price for ya! It\'s one that you can take off and on easily.

Chatters - HINT: look at NWLA June Meeting post!!!!

Hey Michaelalan

I have a new HF I have never used

A CL that I have used ( love it )

If your not charging and just sharing please post your plans for the HF so I can get some use out of imy HF. I would love to be able to use it on the front side of machine.

Linda Rech\'s topper looks like it would work great.

I need to get my son to make some stuff, he would be great at it.

Pat Kuhlman

Hi, I\'m Christi,

I have Lindas Topper. It\'s fabuloso. I am pretty new to long arming and her Topper is sooo easy to use. Circles are perfect!!!!!!! It comes with the stylist. In fact it comes as a 2 in 1. One end is small thin and very strong that works great with other design boards including rns-design boards. I bought several of them just to use with my topper. It is also a fraction of the cost of the Harltey and the Cicle Lord. So I\'m having a good laugh while I buy up lots of other goodies for my new passion with the money I have saved. And no Linda did not tell me about this post. I came acrossed it as I get dailys from apqs billbord. In my opinion great value, so easy my 5 year old grandaughter could do it, and a very nice quality product. I just came back from MQS, there was nothing ther that was so easy to use or as versitle. Linda and hubby ment for this to be able to be used with any design boards on the market. So if you have some already, chances are this will work with it. Another thing, after making that pretty perfect circle you can go straight into free motion and feather or flower it. Y:oou do not have to disconect from the device and you don\'t have to walk around you machine either.:o:o:P:P

• 3 weeks later...

Brenda,

I am not sure what the "cc" is that you are talking about. Since no one has answered I don\'t think anyone else knows either. I tried reading back though the posts to see if I knew, but am not finding anything...I want to help, but I need to know more...:)

Here is the ruler I purchased at MQS. I looks very easy to use, and you can quilt two lines at once so it goes very fast....

2111583230090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

to give an idea of the size....

2677327860090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

Instructions....

2335957180090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

Hope this helps.

The ruler Sue postes looks like it might be a good one too. I just can\'t tell how long it is. This one is good because it fits on a border and allows you to work on two sides at once so it should go fast.

Hi Mary Beth, Thankyou for the photos. The ones Sue mentioned are 16" up to 23" so are very long. Can you tell me where you got yours from. It looks a great size, especially for around applique and small places. It would probably work well with the ones Sue mentioned as well. Happy quilting

Archived