Teaching quilting

diane Bevans

I have been asked if I would teach some quilt classes. I have been thinking about it, but not sure what is the best way to structure. A calandar with different items to teach? What to charge? Looking for help in this. I am not a quilt shop, so I don't want to sell kits. Any suggestions would be most helpful. I trying to think ahead and get started in January.

Would you be teaching from home or at your LQS? I typically put the quilts that I will be teaching on EQ5 so that I can hand out pictures of the finished quilt, along with any templates that may be needed. It also gives accurate fabric yardage and you can show the quilt using different colorways.

You need some written instructions so the students know what to purchase (supply list) and what to have ready before the class begins. It also helps if you have some written instructions for constructing the quilt (at least the necessary steps and in what order).

Over the years I have seen many teachers that are not prepared with written instructions and wind up teaching classes based on questions asked instead of by providing information up front. The difference between the professionals and the amateurs is in the preparation, so make preparation a high priority. And make it fun for both you and your students. What could be better than having fun while you learn to quilt!!!!!

Happy Quilting :D

I forgot to mention copyright laws. If you use a published pattern then everyone in the class must purchase the pattern unless you have written permission from the designer. I typically use my own designs so this isn't an issue, which is another good reason to use EQ5.

You asked about pricing but I can only share what we charge here in No. Calif. and these are just estimates and depend upon the reputation of the teacher. A single 4-hour class usually costs between $25 - $35. A class that has 2 4-hour sessions costs between $40 - $50. A class that requires 3 4-hour sessions is between $60-$70. Class size is anywhere from 4 to 10 people depending on the size of the facility. Children's classes are much cheaper.

Hope this has helped and that other's will share their experience as well.

Happy Quilting :D

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information. I actually have worked on a deal with a few companines that sell patterns, and I can purchased them wholesale and turnaround is about a day. So I will probably go that route, and include in the price of the class. That way they go home with a pattern. But I was wondering, if a pattern is free on the web, say Jo-ann's they have free craft projects for you to download, or free-patterns.com, can you reprint these without permission? The pricing of the classes, helped alot thanks.With your pricing do you include fabric or have them bring their own?

I only have experience taking classes, not teaching them, but unless you are teaching complete newbies half the fun is choosing your own colors and fabrics. If you are teaching novices sometimes they aren't yet confident in their own choices. Some guidance in your intro information might include color or value choices. If you are not affiliated with your LQS perhaps you could talk to them about including in your class packet a percentage-off coupon for the purchase of their project fabric. This would be a win-win for you and the shop. Good luck and have fun!

Linda Rech

APQS Millennium

I recently took some classes. I guess they were cheap. I paid 35.00 for 4 or 5 weeks of classes and they were 4 hours long. You brought your own machine and supplies. Teacher did have hand outs on quilts to be quilted in that session, with a picture. This does save allot of questions. You needed to purchase your fabric else where. As the classes where in her home. Usually if you have classes at quilt shop then they would you to purchase at their shop. Good Luck Nita

• 2 years later...

I taught for a local quilt shop in Florida for a while but found it was not very lucrative for me. The shop took 1/3 of the class fees which each workshop was about $35, most I had in a class was 3-6 people. It was a 2 hour commute for me round trip. Although I found that I really loved teaching, I just didn\'t make enough to have fun with.

Now I would consider teaching in my home if I had the space, then the possibility of quilting their quilts could earn me more salary.

Writing up a class supply list and instructions was enjoyable for me.;)

Just my thoughts, good luck

Marlin

Archived