Echo Quilting/ Outlining Applique Shapes

mrsbishwit

I've had my Liberty now for 2 weeks, the first week I just sat and stared at it, afraid to even touch it :(

Then I thought what do I have to loose so I loaded it up with some muslin and did some practicing. I had no problem with the pantos..in fact I think they are easier than working from the front of the machine. I think it had something to do with me working all summer with tracing applique shapes for a paper doll quilt top I am doing for my twin daughters. Any ways I am having a terrible time outlining and echoing my applique on my quilts. I have the micro drive and I have the stitch regulator on but my stiching lines are not acceptable, they are uneven and out of control. Any suggestions on how to take the frustration out of echo quilting?

I felt the same way as you are describing and finally Turned Off the stitch regulator and turned the speed down and found out the the machine runs extremely smooth from the front and now after many months of practicing I have fairly even stitches. I thought I was going to be the "panto lady"only. Now I am outlining and even teaching myself to "McTavish" and I could not do that with the S/R on. I hope this helps, I found that I broke needles and everything else working from the front with the S/R on. Good Luck and just enjoy every bit of progress you make. Now when I get time to quilt I want to yell "YaHoo!' :

I think Darlene Epp also suggested resting your fore arms on the front rollers for precision work. I tried this when I McTavished and really liked the control I had. Also, when echoing, if you look ahead rather than right at the needle you will have smoother lines. Practice, though, lots of it, is the key, as is relaxing.:cool:

Archived