Adding pigtails to the thread path

Mrs.A

There has been much talk lately ( in the Chat about Anything section) about Sharon Schamber\'s advice to long arm users...in particular I\'m thinking of the U Tube video where she demonstrates some custom touches to a Gammill machine. Sharon suggests adding ceramic pigtails to the machine wherever the thread travels for more than 4 inches between thread guides. This is to help prevent the thread from whipping around.

On George, there is at least one REALLY long throw and I have seen it whipping out of the corner of my eye as I\'m sewing. Her description makes sense to me...adding pigtails to smooth out the thread path so I\'m considering adding a few to George.

I\'m wondering if this has been a problem for any other George users and what your solution has been. I\'d also love to hear from some of you technical folks at APQS...

Sharon\'s advice is for Gammill users but wouldn\'t it apply to our machines too?

Mrs A;

There was a thread about this the other day. Here is the link. http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=10697

I was at Bob Purcell\'s (Superior Threads) thread and tension seminar at MQX. One thing stuck in my mind, he said every time the thread touches a guide it creates more tension. Our APQS machines use fewer guides than the Gammil but we have less problems running a variety of threads. Make sure your first guide is centered over top of the cone. If you are getting good stitches I wouldn\'t worry about it.

Nigel

Archived