Quilting Silk

I\'ve been offered a job quilting imported Silk fabric. She wants staight vertical lines 11" apart top to bottom. Silk fabric will be used as top and bottom layer with a wool batting.

Would like to hear about anything I should watch out for.

Should fabric be looser/tighter than normal on the rollers?

Should I use Silk Thread? Does Silk Thread tend to break?

I plan to use my channel locks to keep stitching rows straight. They realize I will have stops and starts advancing the roller and plan to attach some kind of sterling bobble at those places.

Need to learn all I can beforehand, I\'ll get 1 yd of Fabric to practice/test stitching etc once it arrives from where ever.

Thanks in Advance

Terry

Terry I wish I had some experience.. unfortunately.. I\'d really use the test piece and create as many WhatIfs you can think of on it..

The board is very quiet the last couple days.. maybe the shows are taking their interest.. I\'m sure someone here has had experience with silk.. they must be out and about..

Hope you can get the help you need.

RitaR

Hi Terry

I quilt with silk alot, I use bottom line on the top and in the bobbin, I tension the quilt as I do all others,I baste the sides I use the mr4 needles and I\'ve never had a problem. I would quilt one way and turn the quilt to do the other direction (working in the horizontal position all the time) thus avoiding stops and starts, just my 2cents worth.

Claudia Pfeil is a silk expert! Her latest quilt, an incredibly beautiful work of art has a silk top and it looks gorgeous. It is already in Kansas right now.

So Claudia: your advice is needed here. Are you still awake overthere in Kansas?

Loes

(packing for MQS as we speak!)

Archived