Options for Lenni

I am considering buying a Lenni, What extra\'s do I need to consider. Does the Hartley fence fit and also what does it do.,is there anything else available for the Hartley Fence. I have heard about the circle lord and think it is wonderful. Is there anything else available for Lenni. This is so mind blowing, all the things I have been reading on this forum.

Happy quilting Maree in Tasmania

It is an exciting time and yes I agree, there is some mind blowing information on this site.

To get started, you don\'t need to buy any extras. Your machine comes with a comprehensive instruction manual and all you need to do is to spend time getting to know your machine.

After a while you\'ll get an idea about what sort of quilting most interests/suits you, then you might like to purchase those extras!

Having said that, I have to admit that I did buy the Hartley extended base for my Lenni. Very useful for ruler work such as stitching in the ditch and around applique.

Keep reading and happy quilting

Regards, Judy

Hi Maree

I agree with Judy, you will have everything you need in the boxes except the fabric and batting. I would encourage you to get the Hartley expander base set too. I use it for diagonal line stitching and the small ruler that comes with it is handy for doing stitch in the ditch around applique.

If want to get great ideas for freehanding, Darlene Epp\'s Pocket Guides are full of ideas for quilting borders, fillers, textures and more. There are lots of ways to spend your money when you get a quilting machine but an expander base, and maybe half a dozen pantos and the pocket guides will give your hours of fun and the tools to starting earning the money to pay for your investment.

Best wishes

sue in australia

I just received my Lenni. My Lenni has the 10 foot table, not the 5 foot pieces so I don\'t have nylon tracks to contend with.

When I bought mine I got a special that included a Superior Thread package - Loved it!! Opening the box was like Christmas - some of everything in useful colors but most important to me was the Color Cards which I really wanted.

I also received the Hartley Expander and the Horizontal Spool Holder in the deal. I won\'t be buying thread in the large spools all the time so this was a must.

The directions for putting this together are EXCELLENT so you can same some money putting it together yourself. The only problem I had was squaring the table up and that was a minor issue. Husband kicked the leg and it instantly lined up.

I bought Myrna Fickens Beginner Video. That was money well spent. I watched it about 5 times before I got my Lenni so when it came time to load a quilt, I did not really need the video from the APQS although it was helpful too.

I am still amazed at how solid the machine is. It is really a quality product and I would recommend it to anyone.

I got my Lenni in February. I bought the base extender and a bobbin winder as mine only came with one of those little plastic portable bobbin winders which did not work well for me using the large cone threads.

I was told that the Hartley fence would not be available for about 6 months. Which should be soon. I can hardly wait.

I also bought Mryna Fickens beginners video and have found it to be very useful, though I have not quite finished it yet.

I purchase some yard sticks to lift my clamps so I would not run into them with my machine but found that I was running into them with my body because they are so long. Many people with the larger machines can use these successfully but with the shorter throat they stick off the edge. I told this to my local dealer and she suggested buying the curtain rods that bend at then ends and are adjustable so I bought 2 of them a few days ago for $1.33 each and they work very well. Brilliant idea.

Now I must go research these pocket guides, I do not know what they are.

Oh, one more thing, I just bought a magnadoodle because it was talked about on one of the threads and it is fabulous. I love love it for pretesting freehand designs. Again brilliant idea. I just love this forum and all the terrific smart giving people here. :)

Hi Roberta,

You can read about and order the Pocket Guides to Freehanding here:

http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com/PocketGuidesToFreehanding.htm

As for the machine hitting the clamps, you don\'t need anything to hold them up. Just thread the elastic through the clamps backwards so the clamps hang on the outside of the machine and use a pin to attach the elastic to the side of the quilt. I LOVE this method! :)

Marie

Some good advice here and I would agree that the machine comes with everything you need to get started.

One could easily spend a heap of money buying lots of cool gadgets that ultimately might not be your thing. My advice would be to play with your machine and become familiar with the feel and movement of it from the front and back, then gradually add things that you need or interest you

A base expander with a couple of basic rulers are good starters along with a couple of pantos (if this is something you would use) - remember to get ones that will fit on your bed. The 15" ones fit but if you have a largish quilt on the rollers may be a bit tight on the throat space.

Obviously a selection of threads are a must, plus spare needles. Also a spare bobbin case(s). Spare cases do not come with the machine, only bobbins.

Get yourself a large amount of cheap cotton material & batting ready to practice on. Its amazing how quicly you use this up once you start playing.

There are lots of threads and ready advice here on the various toys and gadgetry you can then move on to.

Have fun

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Darlene Epp

As for the machine hitting the clamps, you don\'t need anything to hold them up. Just thread the elastic through the clamps backwards so the clamps hang on the outside of the machine and use a pin to attach the elastic to the side of the quilt. I LOVE this method! :)

Darlene - Are you saying not to use the clamps at all? Just pin the OTHER end of the elastic cords to the sides of the quilt? And do you pin to the backing only, or to the three layers?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just took a seminar with Darlene so I can answer this question for you. She pins the end of the elastic to the backing fabric of the quilt and lets the clamp hang down toward the floor. She just pins the backing fabric & batting. However, she also stitches the sides of the quilt top to the batting and backing fabric before she does any of the stitching. Hope this makes sense. When the quilt sandwich is advanced to do the next section of quilting she simply unpins the elastic, advances the rollers, stitches the sides of the quilt top to the batting and backing fabric then repins the elastics and begins stitching.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

Although it was expensive, I invested in a Circle Lord and love it. Then I found R&S Designs which has templates that are similar to CL but much less expensive. Now I use both. I think it is important to PPP from both sides of the machine. I like pantographs and templates but I'm learning to love freehanding too. Have a blast!

Originally posted by smorris

Hi

Darlene mentioned her pinning method on this forum a few weeks ago and I have been doing it ever since. Wish I had known this 11years ago!!!

Thanks darling Darlene!!

Sue in Australia

You're welcome Sweet Sue! If you'd come see me more often I could share more "secrets" with you, and I'm sure you could show me a thing or three too! :P

I know, I know. The plane flies both ways, but we all know it's shorter to fly from Australia to Canada that it is to fly from Canada to Australia. That's what I keep telling my brother anyway! haha :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Christine

The Bottom Line bobbin thread (by Superior Threads) gives a nice fine line to your quilting. It seems to be very popular on this forum. It's 100% polyester and I haven't quilted enough with it yet to decide if I like the feel of it or not.

I'm used to using cotton and cotton wrapped polyester such as the Rasant brand which is widely available in Australia and really like the softness of cotton.

There will be a sample pack of Superior Threads with your machine, so you can have a play.

I order a lot of my threads direct from the US, as even with postage and a bad exchange rate offered through Paypal accounts, you still only pay about half the amount that you'd pay in Australia! You just have to be patient and wait a few weeks for your parcel to arrive!

Happy quilting,

Judy

Hi Christine

I also use Superior. Mostly I use So Fine on the top and bottomline in the bobbin. You can set up a wholesale account online with Superior www.superiorthreads.com. You just need to provide proof that you are a business. I think our ABN number is what they'll need.

I usually order around $300 worth of threads at a time. If you order anywhere near $1000 worth, Customs officers will contact you and charge you duties and GST. For $300 worth of thread the postage is about $35 for airmail.

The Superior website also has a great Education Area with great tips for using the different threads and adjusting tensions.

Best wishes

Sue

Christine,

I have just started using Hemingworth Poly Select embroidery thread. It is a 40wt thread on a 1000m spool ( complete with its own sealable cover). Lovely sheen when stitched. Loosened off the top tension, is similar to Superiors Rainbows thread and had no breaks. My LQS stocks this in hundreds of colours for the machine embroiderers. I use Bottomline in the bobbin.

Lyn

Judy and Sue,

I bought it from Sew Creative Gatton, I am sure they get it from an Australian distributor. I'll ask the girls when I am in next week for Community quilts. They are a Janome distributor so they are recommending them on all their embroidery machines.

Usual cost is $8.95.

From memory there are about twelve or so variegated colours. Subtle colours (ie not the brights like rainbows) variegations are about 4-6 inches remember They are made for machine embroiderers who usually put a lot of stitching in one spot.

I like their names. I quilted calla lilies in "cherry wood" and rosebuds and singapore orchids in"snowflake" for my son's wedding quilt.

Unfortunately they don't come in a bigger spool. But still stitch well from the back of "Miss Molly".

Lyn

Hi, Hemingworth Thread is distributed by Echidna in Australia. I have used it to machine embroider but not that keen on it as it breaks especially the metallics. King Star from Embroidry Source is a fine embroidery thread very similiar and it is great. They also wholesale.

My machine is getting closer. Maree

Thanks Maree.

Aurifil has a distributor in Australia - Jenny Scott - on the suppliers list (now I'd better check that I've sent you one) and she does really nice thread that looks like metallic but is a little thicker and runs nicely in our machines. I also like Superior's metallics.

Sue

Archived