cross stitched top

Catherine P.

A older gentleman approached me at church on Sunday and asked if I could finish a quilt top for him. His wife passed away suddenly last spring. I asked what he needed doing and he told me it was a cross stitched top. It?s completed and he would like to have it quilted for his daughter. I?ve never even thought about machine quilting a cross stitched top. Anyone have thoughts on what I should look for or thoughts on how to do it? I haven?t seen the top yet.

I also recently received a cross stitched top. It arrived in three panels. There are little blue dots pre-printed where the quilting should be, although they are very faint and I may need to invent a little as I go...

If your top is not pre-printed, go to webshots and search for cross stitched quilts. You will be able to see examples of what other quilters have done. I found this helpful in preparing to meet with the owner of the top that I will be quilting.

Good luck and have fun!

Catherine,

I had almost the exact same scenario in early 2003 (I think??), but my customer brought 2 cross stitch tops- same pattern, different thread colors. There were the blue quilting pattern marked designs, but the husband wanted very *inexpensive* quilting. I ended up outlining the cross-stitch design areas and doing a very simple meander, totally ignoring the pre-printed blue markings. Here are a couple of pics:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/86319233/86319233NMWqVW

http://community.webshots.com/photo/87024101/87024101NPfqZF

I have done a few of these tops and they are easy to do. Every design I have done has been fine, meander, pantos and custom with outlining.

Only one top had been ironed before I quilted it and the blue dots would not come out for her. So now I tell anyone who works on these not to iron before they wash the quilt top.

I too have done several of these in either a meandering or smaller stipple to following the actual blue dots....it sure makes following stencils much easier after following all the dots....actually I perfer following the dots, a pain in the hinny but well worth the trouble.

Bonnie:P

Bonnie I would love to see a picture of the one you did following the dots.

Also I need some advice as how you charge. I mostly do pantos for customers and my freehand learning is for myself. I have someone bringing a sunbonnet sue and I am sure it will have to have stipple done on it. I don't know how to quote her.

Direct Mail would be great.

Bobettesews@aol.com

Paradise, CA

Millennium

Archived