Levelling the table

Good morning all

I read a post from Myrna on another forum where she stressed the importance of a level table and also a level carriage. So I decided to take off the quilt I\'m working on and have a closer look.

I must admit that I knew it could be a bit better levelled, thought it was the legs that needed levelling, and had intended to level properly when we moved the table to it\'s final spot.

Anyway, to my surprise, there\'s a bulge in the table where the two pieces meet and a gap between the table top and the metal frame, which means that the table top curves down hill. It seems that the metal crossbar may not be level with the side bars. We won\'t really know until we take the top off and get the spirit level onto the frame.

We\'ve put a long spirit level on the table top and it falls away about 3/8 of an inch over the first foot, so obviously that will increase as you get towards the outside of the table.

I suggested to DH that he loosen the bolts so that it might give a little. He thinks this would compromise the strength of the table and cause the machine to bounce around too much.

His solution (moderators don\'t shudder) is to take off the top and bring in his angle grinder to level it off!

Anyway, after work today, we\'re going to move the table, take off the top and have a closer look.

I\'ll keep you posted ...

Judy

Hi Barb

Visions of burning leaders in my head!

He\'s a trained metalworker, thus his enthusiasm.

I\'m sure he\'ll consider his options before dragging in the industrial grinder from the workshop.

If anyone has had this problem and any solutions, I\'ll be glad to hear from you.

Happy quilting.

Judy

I would loosen all of the bolts that hold the table frame together, level the table bed, then retighten the bolts. That\'s what Amy told me to do. Also, she said the truss bolts don\'t need to be the same height, they need to be at whatever is necessary to level the table. I\'ve always had a problem w/the center of my table. Don\'t know if it is warped or what. Right now the machine glides quite well.

Hi Marie

Thanks for your good advice. I\'m not sure that it\'s the same setup for a Millie and a Lenni. The Lenni metal frame is in two prewelded sections - the only bolts that go in are where the sections meet in the middle and then where the table top is bolted to the metal.

We will explore this afternoon.

Happy quilting,

Judy

Hold him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Judy

As you know we\'ve just pulled our Lenni down and she\'s on the way to Sydney this afternoon. My husband made a point of telling me that when I set it up, to make sure I put those two dark grey bolts in before I tighten the chrome ones or I\'ll have trouble getting it level and without a twist. Those are the bolts that join the two metal sections together.

I\'m not going to disagree with your husband, how big is he?, but I think we won\'t need to resort to the grinder as the machines that build the tables are set to very small degrees of tolerance..

Mike or Amy might want to jump in an explain this a little better -

Looking forward to seeing you next week.

sue in australia

Hi Sue

I knew I should be suspicious when he said he really liked how the table was designed, how it went together and how strong it was... I\'ll make sure the only tools he brings in are smaller than an angle grinder.

Seriously though, will take your advice on dark grey bolts first, before tightening chrome ones.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Sydney show.

Love my Lenni and definitely no regrets in purchasing him - he\'s worth every cent.

Regards, Judy

Ladies I wouldn\'t be grinding on my table. Hide it fast............When I mentioned making sure your table was level I meant if you are having problem with the movement of your machine, one of the things to check is to be sure your table is level. Then explained how I check mine. Yikes don\'t grind your table:o ..

BTW leveling only has one L ;) oops

Ladies, I\'m shocked! I\'m Margie\'s DH, and I really can\'t believe you all would conspire to hide the tools required for us men to do what we were born to do. We FIX things. Sometimes we have to buy new things after we fix things, but that\'s part of the journey.

Anyway, I have an extra angle grinder hidden in a secret spot.

Har, har

Actually, the awesome LW (who must be obeyed) reads everything written on this site but I\'ll never tell where my secret tool hiding place is. NEVER!

Actually, I read a lot of what\'s written as well. You ladies are hilarious, witty, smart, entertaining, and inspiring.

You also keep Margie busy quilting so I can work on my motorcycle in peace - until her longarm needs something ground off, drilled, screwed down, or otherwise modified....

Hello again

Well my wonderful DH of 26years has fixed the table! You\'re all waiting with baited breath to hear how the angle grinder went, I know.

Well, after taking the table top off, we found that the centre joining plates for the table were not at a 90 degree angle with the main table beams. With the result that the table was slightly bowed and this showed up on the nylon track (it had a big bulge in it). Also the cross braces were not properly aligned with the top of the main table beams (the braces were slightly higher which translated into a 1/4 inch gap between the frame and our metal straight edge).

Removing the bolts and retightening them did not help - the table just bowed again. So DH inserted shims between the bottom edges of the centre joining plates and retightened everything.

The track is now significantly improved with no centre bulge! There\'s now only about a 1/16th gap at one end which I feel is no drama.

Anyway I\'ve taken some photos to send to the technical department along with some comments.

And the angle grinder? Well it\'s resting quietly in DHs workshop, waiting for a more exciting job.

Now my DH can get back to his garage and concentrate on his Westfield sports car.

Happy quilting and tinkering to you all,

Judy

As a DH, I\'m a little disappointed. It\'s always satisfying to make sparks fly, but ultimately the simple solution is probably best. I really hate the look I get from Margie when she hears me say, "Don\'t worry, I can weld that back on....."

I hear words to that effect often in my life. I can\'t understand why...

Actually, when we bought Margie\'s Ultimate I, it had huge problems caused by the tinkering of the previous owner. I ended up completely disassembling the front end of the machine and putting it back together correctly and timing it. It was a fun challenge as I\'d never worked on a longarm before, but it\'s been working flawlessly ever since. Margie trusts me completely in these things and knows that my bringing in the welder and grinder was only a joke....

Brad

Archived