Bobbin case rattle?

Good morning all! I just repacked the grease in the gear box, yesterday. This really helped my noise machine. However, I still seem to have a rattle in the bobbin case area (at least this is what it sounds like to me). I have tried 4 different bobbin cases and the noise is still there. So, I don't think it is the bobbin case.

To me, it sounds like the bobbin case is too loose. I know this can't be, but this how I would describe the noise - like the bobbin case rattles around in the basket.

Maybe this noise is normal. I don't remember the noise when I first got the machine. What I do remember is how much quieter the Ult I was than my Ult II. I do have a quieter running machine since re-packing the gear box, but this annoying bobbin case noise is still there.

I thought I would post my question and see what all of you have to say/suggest. It is definitely a metal rattle, not a squeak or a groan. Any ideas? I am off to run Saturday a.m. errands and I'll check for responses later this afternoon.

Thanks for your help.

I had been hearing a noise that sounded like a bobbin noise too but..... it wasn't that.

When I clean my machine I just take out one screw and washers on the throat plate and then slide the cover over, clean, oil and replace the screw and washers. What I never have done is check the screw that I thought was tight in the opposite corner:(. It was slightly loose and the foot would hit on the throat plate causing a noise - muffled due to the quilt sandwich. Once I tightened it - no noise - worth a try.....

Well, I have had an interesting afternoon. Quite awhile ago, I bought a new hook assembly - decided to put it on today. I watched the maintenance video first, and during, installation. (Timing isn't as hard as I thought it was.) My rattle is almost gone.

I think the old hook assembly wasn't in the proper position. I watched and watched ... and paused and paused ... the video. I wanted to make sure everything was correct. When I looked at the "old" assembly before taking it off, it didn't seem to be exactly right. I think it was closer to the front of the machine. I think this because when I put the retaining finger back on, I extended it farter into the space.

At any rate, there is still a little rattle, but not much. On a scale of 1-10, the noise before I changed the hook assembly was probably a 9; now it is maybe a 2.

Does this make sense? I hope a real longarm technician reads this and can give me some insight.

The rattle that you probably heard was in the hook assembley or what we call the bobbin basket. When the hook starts to show wear, it may start to sound louder, this is where the piviot point is or where the hook spins on itself. That's why the new one is much quieter. But you will have some rattle there, as the machine is going the basket is hitting that little black finger and thus the rattle. Sometimes oiling will make it less noticeable.

Hope this all makes sense. :)

Mark APQS

Archived