? on Quilting Feathers

shawn

I am new to the world of feathers and have many questions...

Do you draw the stem on the fabric first? Do you draw it on freehand or are there templates to use so it is evenly spaced? OR do you just quilt the stem on freehand? Is the stem the first thing you do or do you all the feathers and stem together?

Do you feather quilting down the stem or up the stem?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

1) Do you draw the stem on the fabric first?

Yes, you can do it this way if you wish...no set rules.

2)Do you draw it on freehand or are there templates to use so it is evenly spaced?

You can do it both ways....some even use plates and can lids for their templates. The Stencil Company and others have stencils to use.

3)OR do you just quilt the stem on freehand?

You can do it either way...whatever works for you. There isn\'t a set rule as to right or wrong, just whatever works for you.

4)Is the stem the first thing you do or do you all the feathers and stem together? Do you feather quilting down the stem or up the stem?

Again its whatever works for you....some do one side and come back down or up the other and then draw the stem. Others draw the stem and then do the feathers either one side and then the next. Some even bounce from one side to the other as they work whichever direction then feel works for them

Shawn,

Feathers can be scary when you get started, and sometimes you wish you had never heard of them. You have asked some great questions, and Bonnie has given great answers. I had a hard time with feathers, they always looked stupid, until I got Sherry Rogers-Harrison\'s book, Formal Feathers 101. Her web site is www.sewfarsewgood.org she teaches you to do those hump-bump or bump-bump or longarm feather or whatever it is they call them.

Oh, and PPP:)

I also have a book on feathers that takes you right from the beginning shape to use, different spines etc. then branches into all kinds of variations that will take your feathers to a new level! The set consists of a "Pocket Guide" with all the designs, and then a 63 page Workbook that also includes my Borders Workshop.

The Workbook shows you several choices for filling multiple shapes; squares, rectangles, double wedding rings, circles, triangles etc. The shape of the spine really sets the "tone" of the finished feather; will it be formal or informal?

You can read more about the "Heirloom Feathers: Freehand, Formal & Fanciful" on my web site. My students use them in my Beginners Workshop and have great success within a very short period of time.

http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com/FeathersPocketGuide.htm

Like Bonnie said, the choice is yours in how you form the spines and feathers, but the Workbook will show you exactly how to execute those choices.

There are several options for books on feathers. I haven\'t seen Sherry\'s, but she\'s a good friend and a fabulous quilter, and I\'m sure her book is wonderful!

Mine concentrates on teaching the rank beginner, and then takes you as far as you want to go.

If you can draw a teardrop shape, you CAN draw feathers. And after much drawing, you can even quilt them! :)

Shawn -

Since I am new - I just bought both this morning - Sherry\'s and Darlene\'s. I have spent the afternoon looking and running my fingers over the patterns while my brain absorbs. I feel that both are equally good when it come to explaining feathers - Darlene\'s pocket guides and work book just take you a bit further. I feel my money was well spent and I am glad I have the books from both gals! They will be great for practice and inspiration.

THANK YOU SHERRY AND DARLENE - GREAT JOB:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Meg:cool:

Shawn...

I have both Darlene\'s pocket guides and feather guides. They\'re both wonderful. The pocket guides for the many ideas and the feather guides are great for teaching you where to begin with feathers. I\'m new to this longarm stuff and definitely new to feathers. With the feather guide, I\'ve definitely got a handle on drawing them--now I have to practice quilting them!

Archived