Another "How would you. . . ?"

kusmaulk

PS I should mention two other details. My husband just installed this pole for me to hang quilts to be photographed. (I went with shower curtain rings and big clips) I told him I would brag on him here.

And the back of this quilt is white. So I\'m concerned about using dark thread on the dark stars and borders, although I think that would look best on the front.

Quilting and thread color advice are needed, welcome, appreciated.

thanks,

CC or flames in star points, clear monofilament around appliques and background fill on white with either mcTavishing, stipple, pearls, etc.

I personally would use a white bobbin thread for all and change to a dark top thread for the stars and white in the background. Hope this helps.

Others should pop in here to give you probably better suggestions than I.

Karol...not to sure how I would quilt it....there is SO MANY things that would look great.

However, you mentioned the fear of using dark threads on the back where you used them on the front....I do this alot, and when you flip the quilt it gives you another whole different look. In some cases it looks like you have a pretty fancy whole cloth going and sometimes its really really shines...almost better than the front when done.

Getting the little dots of different colors that can go both ways is sometimes hard, so I don\'t worry about it when the customer looks to be fussy...I just tell her its going to be dark on both sides in those areas and go for it. If the customer doesn\'t worry to much about the tiny dots...we do different colors. I mainly try to not to change threads, but I would rather do it this way, instead of having a problem with a customer down the road, after they have had a chance to crawl all over it and see maybe a few tiny oop\'s.

Originally posted by kusmaulk

What are pearls?

Some people call them pebbles or stones....the little tiny circles that look like pebbles... Pearls are the ones that are in a perfect line they don\'t stack or lay next to each other.

Do you recognize this border? I had trouble with it. Went about it backwards, and had to backtrack a LOT. I did the top and bottom borders before I decided it looked terrible, and then had to spend 6 hours unsewing it all. I think another mistake was trying to do it too large. The border(s) were 5.5 inches wide. Next time I try this one, it will be smaller. Anyway it came out better when I figured out the direction I should go with it. One other issue was using beige thread on those dark colors. Such courage that takes!

post--1346189990036_thumb.jpg

Thank you Shana. I worked hard on this one, and learned a lot from doing it. It is so scary trying new techniques, and so rewarding when you succeed, especially after having to suffer through all that ripping. Arrrrgggghhhhhhh. Makes finishing the piece that much more wonderful. This lady did a fabulous job on her applique, so I wanted my part to be good.

Wow, coming from all of you, these compliments mean a lot. I have been so impressed and learned so much from getting to see your work. I still feel pretty wobbly on my machine at times, but am getting more and more comfortable with it. I enjoyed the challenge of SID around the applique. The border nearly did me in, but I learned some valuable lessons while ripping. Next time, I won\'t go as far before I decide to un-sew.

Thanks,

Originally posted by kusmaulk

The border nearly did me in, but I learned some valuable lessons while ripping. Next time, I won\'t go as far before I decide to un-sew.

Karol, ironically, I have come to realize that since I got my longarm machine and all of the wonderful things I\'ve learned (so far) one of the acquired skills that I have become better at is "how to QUICKLY rip out those unwanted stitches!" :D

Archived