Rainbow/BL tension problem

I have a Millennium.

Yesterday it took me forever to get the tension correct using Rainbow in the top and BL in the bobbin. FINALLY, I got it right. Well, I thought so. Today when I went to begin quilting, it started out fine. Then when I came to a stopping point and was locking my stitches, the top got so tight that the thread started to shred. I cut off the shred part, rethreaded my needle and began quilting again. I shortly checked the bottom and there they were...pokies from the top showing underneath. I rethreaded the thread, tried tightening the top TWO WHOLE TURNS and it didn't feel like I added any tension at all to the top. Still pokies. So, I tightened the bobbin (from a 5-6" drop to a 2-3" drop. Still pokies. I can't tell you how frustrating this all is. I have a customer's custom quilt that's overdue and I'm going crazy. I DON'T want to rip out all those stitches and re-do it. I know I have mucho problems with tension, and think it's the machine, but it's most likely me. I've thought of getting out of the biz because of this. A tension expert needs to give a class on tension...just throw different threads and bobbins at someone and say "okay, let's practice tension".

HELP! Quick, please.............

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

When you are getting "pokies" on the bottom, it is the top thread that you are seeing. Don't mess with the bobbin tension. I would put it back where you had it. Keep tightening the upper tension until you draw up the top thread. If you have gone too tight, it will break. Keep in mind that if you are on a thin batting you don't have a lot of room for the two threads to interlock. So if you are using dark threads and light fabric, sometimes it is almost impossible to keep the threads from showing through. If you draw up the threads to get a good stitch and then the thread breaks, you may have a bad cone of thread as well. Hope this helps...I'm sure some of you quilters out there can give or add some better advise. :)

Take care,

Mark APQS

Mark,

Okay. I forgot to say I'm using prewound plastic Bottom Line bobbins.

I changed the drop back to 5-6" and tightened the top. The top tension is now tightened so much that the screw is showing almost 1/4". I did this yesterday, also, and it didn't help. I have a practice piece on the machine and after readjusting the top and bottom tensions, I began sewing a feather... The top and bottom stitches on the stem of the feather which I sewed from left to right (then another feather I sewed from right to left) were perfect. However, when I began forming the feathers and going around the curve part, there were the pokies again. I tried pulling the top thread through the needle after tightening the top tension and felt absolutely no difference in tightness as the thread went through the needle. Shouldn't I feel some kind of a tug or resistence there? I'll go and try tightening the tension more, but I'm almost right up against those two disks.

Sharon:mad:

I would re-thread your machine from the beginning - make sure that the thread support just above your cone of thread, is straight above the cone. Next I would try a different bobbin - perhaps not a prewound. When I use Rainbow I loosen the top tension, but because I almost always use Bottom Line in the bobbin (I always wind my own) I never have to adjust the tension. You might have the quilt tightened too much - my rule of thumb - I stick my finger up into the quilt from underneath - I can grab the "pokey"(all three layers) from the top easily - easy to do, hard to explain.....:(

I always use the same color for both the top stitching and bobbin. When using Rainbows I pick a color that matches the best for use in the bobbin.

Hope this helps....

Sharon, I recently had a terrible time with tension. I was quilting 4 quilts for charity and I couldn't get the tension correct for anything on the first 3. I was using prewound cardboard sided bobbins BOBs from Superior. When testing with the Towa gauge, the needle was jumping all over the place - think I threw a half dozen away.:mad: Finally I found a bobbin that stayed steady when using the gauge and started quilting. Things were going along great and all of a sudden the tension was all off and I was getting railroad tracks on the back - never loopies or pokies, then things would look good again for a while. I kept trying different prewounds from this same group. I was so frustrated and beginning to think, I really dislike longarm quilting.:( When I started on the 4th quilt, I decided to try a different color bobbin (also prewound BOBs from Superior). This time, after testing several bobbins, I found several that looked okay. I finally got this quilt done and it looks the best of all of them. I think I enjoy using the Millie again. :)

I have wound several of my own bobbins and never had the problem I have had doing these 4 charity quilts. I am beginning to think that the quality control on the prewounds isn't very good and I am going to start winding my own. I don't need the stress of fighting with these prewounds (and I bought a half gross of this color!:P )

Has anyone else had problems with the prewound BOBs from Superior?

Hi,

I agree that tension issues can be a huge headache.

I recently had a problem with cotton prewounds from Superior. I was having trouble maintaining correct tension. When I checked the bobbin I could see that the cardboard 'case' had started to drag, almost shred, inside the bobbin case. (I wrote about this in another forum.) When I called Superior they said to remove the cardboard from both sides of the bobbin, and that this is how the bobbins are meant to be used. Maybe this will clear up your issues. If not, call them to see if they can help. They were very eager to help me.

Linda/9patch

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that Sharon called me yesterday and the problem was the thread was not in between the tension disks. The tip for me was she had said that she screwed the knob almost all the way in and still no tension. This is a good thing for everyone to remember that when you rethread the machine, check and make sure the thread is down inside the two tension disks not just riding along the outer lips of the disks.

Later,

Mark APQS

I recently encounterd a similar problem using the plactic BOB's. The thread kept slipping out the side of the bobbin and would catch underneath and break the bobbin thread..of course this isn't normal. After trying several of the bobbins I rewound them on my metal bobbins and had no problem. When I put them side by side against the metal these plastic bobbins looked to be about 1/16th of an inch narrower. I have used these previously with no problems, perhaps my spring is worn out in the case. I ordered new bobbins cases but have not had a chance to test them with the BOBs. When you are using Rainbows in the top, they don't like much tension on the thread at all. They are beautiful and I have learned each spool requires some fiddling with the tension.:(

Hester

Originally posted by 9patch

When I called Superior they said to remove the cardboard from both sides of the bobbin, and that this is how the bobbins are meant to be used. Maybe this will clear up your issues.

Linda, I did remove the cardboard sides on several of them. That made no difference.:(

I think I'm just better off winding my own - at least I haven't had the tension problems (so far) with my own.

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply to my problem.

To those who have the Towa Tension gauge...I bought it and sent it back. I also swore by winding my own bobbins. (I even sent for the stand alone bobbin winder...well, I'm definitely not mechanical-minded and sent it back ASAP. So, I when I do wind bobbins, I wind them on the machine. Most recently I started ordering the plastic Bottom Line prewounds. They were going great. But after listening to many of you and your thoughts that winding metal is better, I am going to use up my huge stash and go back to winding them myself. Meanwhile, thank you Mark and everyone because for the short time I've been quilting, had I not just recently found out about this chat room and posted a DETAILED explanation of what my problem was, I'd still be spending hours trying to solve my tension problems. I had a great quilting day today. And I know you quilters will freak out when I tell you this, but I was so afraid to take the Rainbows out of the machine and switck over to So Fine, that I did all my Rainbows quilting and then rerolled the quilt and switched over to So Fine and started all over again. Thank God it's working out. No puckers in the backing and everything is looking great.

And Jerri, thanks for your comment about sticking the finger up the quilt (sorry if that sound funny!) but I do know for a fact that I dont' wind my quilts tightly. There is 'push and bounce' in them before I tighten down the lever and begin quilting. In any event, if my tension problems subside as a result of this, boy will I be happy.

Thank you all for your input. I am printing out all your comments and will keep them for future reference.

P. S. I am going to check out those cardboard bobbins (which I also have a supply of) as I never heard that you are supposed to remove the cardboard from both sides???!!!! I can't remember if any of you said this, but I also heard that you should remove that spring in the bobbin case before using cardboards.

P.P.S. I have not had a problem using plastic prewounds with So Fine in the top.

P.P.P.S. I'm beginning to like my Millie again, too!

Thank you all again for helping me.

Kwilter,

I was in mid-compose on this forum a several weeks ago regarding a tension problem, lots of pokies. I had tried everything, tighten tension screw, rethread (over and over), fresh bobbin, bought a TOWA, different thread, different quilt. I was fiddling with it everyday after work for over a week. I was so frustrated.

Then before I hit the post button on this forum, I decided to walk the thread line with my eyes from spool to needle...well, before I got to the needle, I noticed that my thread was not even in the tension disks. Whoa, how did that happen? Operator error.

Here's another embarassing goof.

I got my machine back from the shop two weeks ago and the light over the needle no longer worked. I had turned that light on when I first bought my machine and never turned it off - it was my way of knowing if the machine was "ON".

I bought a new bulb, same size, ser# etc but it also did not work. So for 2 days I could only quilt during the day; I really depend on that light. Then my husband checked it for me. He asked "What's this little dial for?" and turned it. Voila, the light came on. The shop had turned it off during service.

And I had just forgotten to turn it back on.

It's the small stuff that trips you up. I think that because the machine is so big, I sometimes make it more complicated than it really is. I mean, after all, it is a sewing machine, not a nuclear reactor.

I laugh about my goofs now, but it is not funny in mid-goof.

My best tip when frustration strikes, is walk away from the machine...and ask this forum for help.

:)

Hi!!

These have been great hints.

Rainbows and Pixelles are slippery threads. I find that a thread netting helps on the thread cone. It keeps it from pooling off the cone and snagging some where. I have used these threads in the bobbin too but I don't wind it full so that it has some slipping room (don't think that is a technical term). I usually just use Signatures cotton in the bobbin thread. I should look to using BL instead of mixing cotton & poly thread. I don't think I should have problems because these are soft threads.

There are other things I used to do until I took Marks APQS machine class. (I won't pass on my bad habits) The maintenace video is great help too.

It is a wonder I haven't had more trouble with tensions. When I first started I was using prewound bobbins. I was putting them in the case and didn't really check which way the thread was pulling off the bobbin. I also used to put the metal bobbins with the holes facing out. (backwards) All this and using cotton thread too. It is amazing my machine worked at all.

I have learned alot from others postings and classes at MQX. Thanks to APQS with all the updates on their web site too. They are so helpful when you call.

This isn't about the LONG-ARM and bobbin problems...this is a note about bobbin problems, period. Thought someone could help me...

I have a Brothers 400D domestic machine and love using the pre-wound bobbins...that was always my least favorite job about sewing...filling those bloomin' bobbins. I've been taking the card board off one side..someone told me this is what you do..the machine doesn't have a "bobbin case"...the thread just drops into a 'carrier'....Most of the time this machine

is sewing like a Swiss watch...but when I get about 1/2 of the thread used up from the pre-wound bobbin..the bobbin thread starts "jumping" up and down and the tension goes to pot, the material puckers, etc. The sewing line will be so loose you can just pull on the thread and the stitches come out. I started re-winding the pre-wound thread off of the cardboards and filling the plastic bobbins that came with the machine...it is working great.

Some extra fiddling, but I like the weight of that thread on the pre-wounds and get to use it now instead of pitching it....and besides...I bought a gross of the bloomin' things! If anyone has a hint on how to use the pre-wounds without having to re-wind, I'd like to hear it. Thanks in advance....ML

Archived