A Bobbin Problem...I think

Many thanks to all who replied about my tension problem.

Since that seems to be resolved, I'll tell you about another thing that's been happening. I'm back to Rainbows thread in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin. I've sewed about maybe 12 inches and I'll try to explain what's happening for the 5th or 6th time in this short 12 inches (also, it's happened before and it's hard to explain). I'll be sewing along and all of a sudden the machine will kind of stop moving, the needle obviously will continue to go up and down, but because the machine isn't going anywhere, I cut off the bottom and top thread. When I look underneath, the top tension loopies and the bobbin thread is more times than not wrapped around the spring in the bobbin case. This is driving me crazy. I even switched the spring with a spring from another case and that didn't help. Any thoughts?

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Did you try a whole new bobbin case? How loose is your tension on the bobbin case? It sounds to me like you are getting black lash in the case, either try a new case or bend the little tabs up just a little further, so the bobbin won't spind in the case!

Let us know if you can't get it!

Good Luck!

As I mentioned in another post those plastic pre wounds are giving me major headaches. Don't know what caused this last order to be bad as I have used before an didn't have this problem. With the current plastic BOB's the thread is sliding out the side of the bobbin and getting caught and breaking. I did get my new bobbin cases and that did not solve the problem.. I just go re wind them onto metal bobbins and voila problem solved. They appear to be slightly narrower than the metal bobbins. So maybe this is a temporary problems with the manufacturer of the plastic bobbins.

Hester

Have you tried putting a little paper cut to fix inside bobbin case, so threat does not back lash and tangle around the bobbin pin or case. I had alot of tangling of bobbin spinning too fast and not stopping when machine stops and it would tangle down under. So I tried allot of things and finally tried a piece of paper behind bobbin in case. voila it works. and so cheap. lol Nita

One of the fixed. I was told to stop the back lash was if your using the plastic prewound bobbins... take a file or sand paper and ruff up the side of the bobbin so the plastic dont slip....... and another was since the bobbins seem to differ from one to the next....... you can take one of the little paper sides off a used up bobbin...... and put that in there against the spring....

Guest Linda S

Are you bringing your threads to the top before you start out? If you don't, it's really easy for your machine to get tangled in the mess, then it won't move.

Linda

Hi Sharon

I believe a drop of 5-6 inches is too much. I would guess that on a plastic bobbin you should have about 3-4.

The reason is the cardboard prewounds drop is around 2" and metal bobbins 4-6". Metal bobbins are heavier than cardboard pre-wounds so the drop needs to be more to have the same tension on the thread. I am guessing a plastic bobbin is somewhere in between in weight so will also be in between in drop.

Where's connie on this one?

Sue in Australia

Archived