Quilting with a standard sewing machine

I have a baby quilt to quilt and I'm not quite ready to put it on my Liberty yet. Still need some practice before I get up the nerve to do something all by myself. I did do one quilt, but that was at JoAnn Hoffman's place so I had a guiding hand. I need to get this one done soon. I just decided to do it on my Viking. My question is...when doing a line of machine quilting, and you come to the end of the block and you need to cross over the sashing, can you do a few locking stitches, cross the sashing with the thread still attached, do a few more locking stitches on the next block and start your line of quilting again? Will these stitches hold, or do you need to stop and start each time? I've done this on wall hangings, but since a baby quilt gets so much use I just wondered if these stitches would hold. I would assume they are no different than the ones you do at the end of the line.

Thanks much for any feedback.

HI Diane,

I have quilted many quilts on my Viking before Millie came along. I would do just as you described, only I would backtack instead of using the "fix" stitch. So far they have held up fine.

My suggestion to you would be to forget your fear and "just do it" on your Liberty. You will be surprised how quickly you improve. Your fear will keep holding you back. Plus you can finish much quicker on the longarm.

Just my opinion.

Patty

Thanks Patty

I know you are right about jumping in, and if it were one of my own quilts I think I would have. A friend gave me some blocks she had embroidered for her new Great Granddaughter and asked me to put them into a quilt. Guess I was just too chicken to try on this particular project. But next week I am picking up some Project Warmth quilts to work on. I can get as many of these quilts as I can handle. So that should give me plenty of practice. The actual quilting doesn't scare me as much as getting it loaded correctly, but I know that too will be easier in time. JoAnn Hoffman gave me so many great tips and I'm anxious to try them out on actual quilts. It will be nice to finally have quilts to work on instead of plain fabric.

I finished quilting the baby quilt last night. Thanks for the tip on backtacking instead of using the fix. Do you prefer using the backtack because it holds better than the fix, or is it because it sometimes leaves a bump?

Hi Diane,

Glad to hear you finished it.

As far as the backtacking vs the fix button. I think it is just habit! When I learned to sew we didn't have a "fix" stitch. You know the saying" Old habits die hard" or however that goes. ;) I'm sure there are others who disagree, but I think the backtacking holds up better.

Have fun with the charity quilts, it is so much more fun than working on muslin.

Patty

Archived