Acorn and Butternut Squash Soup

VickyShoup

It's not fall until we eat this soup.

1 acorn squash, halved and seeded

1 butternut squash, halved and seeded

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped fine

1/3 cup brown sugar (or 1/3 cup Splenda)

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 cups water

4 teaspoons McKay's chicken broth seasoning

(can use 4 boullion cubes if you have to)

2 tablespoons cornstarch

Bake squash flesh side down, in a covered dish with 1/2 cup water. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Can bake it in microwave too. Remove from oven, and cool slightly. Scoop the pulp from the skin. Discard the skins. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onions until tender.

In a blender, add all the ingredients. Blend until smooth.

Transfer the soup to a pot over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through. Do not boil!

Garnish with a dollup of sour cream, and sprinkle with dry parsley or cinnamon sugar mixture. Homemade bread makes it taste even better.

Hi everyone

I have to ask, acorn squash -is that pumpkin?

The only acorn I know is the really hard "nut" - can't imagine making soup from that.

We have butternut pumpkin - so I guess you call that butternut squash. We also have squash which is very sor tof like a pumpkin that is only about 3" in diameter,

Love to know

Sue in Australia

Sue: In the U. S., we have pumpkins and they aren't squash but if you have butternut pumpkins, then I don't know. We call butternut squash but some of those things kinda taste the same and I'm betting if you don't have acorn squash, and if you had to substitute butternut or even pumpkin, it would still be good. The recipe sounds great.

Here's a link with a picture but I'm betting if you googled "acorn squash", you could find out more than you want to know. You might even figure out that what we call acorn squash is something you have but call it something else.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,190,00.html

Archived