New machine

This sounds a bit rash however I’m wanting some advice. For some reason I changed my mind midstream about buying the Millennium machine and bought the Gammill Classic Plus.

Just before I ordered the Millennium I kept on thinking about the dealer for Gammill machines living near me and I would have the support here. The APQS dealer is actually a lot further away from me and if the machine needed to be serviced or any adjustments needed to be made it would be costly to have the machine freighted to where the dealership is. What would I do? I was also thinking since I’m not in a position where I can travel a lot that Gammill have an on line feature that it would be possible to learn some more by joining some of the on line lessons. So that is why I changed my mind. Now I’m regretting my change of mind. I believe the Millennium is a good and sound machine and would have been very easy to operate. Maybe I’m wrong? I paid for the Gammill at the beginning of this week and payment would be going into the dealer’s account just about now (within a couple of days of payment) so I should have payment confirmation soon. My question is, is it too late to change now and retract the sale with the dealer? If anyone has any words of advice they could give me on my dilemma I would appreciate hearing it. I think the Gammill and APQS are good machines but for some reason I just instinctively felt like ordering an APQS machine from the start?

Orla.

Hi Orla

I freely admit, I'm biased. Cancel your payment and buy the Millenium. That's what I have, and I have loved her every minute (okay there were one or two times we had "issues). I really doubt that you'll be needing service from someone close by, and I am even stronger in my doubts that you'll have to send the machine in for service. APQS stands by their machines, they are so helpful, so supportive, so wonderful in every way.

Then there is the online support that you'll find here. I have had 90% of my questions answered here, and when I've had to contact APQS, they've been able to help me over the phone. The time I had to hold the phone up to the running machine for Amy to diagnose felt weird initially, but it worked!

I vote for go with the gut instincts, it's your mind telling you what you really should do. However, regardless of which machine you choose, please know that you'll be welcome to come and chat with us.

Beth

Ditto what Beth said. I was all set to buy a Gammill - the red one!

After trying the Millennium it was no contest. I was sold. The support is wonderful - both here in the forum and by the APQS staff.

Cancel that order!!!!!!! And buy a Millennium!

Orla,

My son has this little saying. He is grown now: but still says to me when something goes wrong in his life, or isn't working out for him---"I should have listening to my 'little voice'---"

I think your "little voice" is telling you to cancel your Gammill order, (it hasn't shipped yet)---and listen to the "little voice" that telling you to get what you really want. ;)

Orla,

I'm an APQS rep so I'm partial. I agree which ever machine you get, we'll be here. However, APQS is great to work with. Amy (tech) is great, I really think she could talk you through building your own machine and have it purrrr like a kitten. I had a major problem with my first machine late on Saturday night, the company was closed until Monday, had to get the quilt out by Sunday, so I went to this site. Around 11pm, I got a phone call it was one of the reps who took the maintenance class, he talked me through the troubleshooting phase and figured out over the phone that I needed a new daughter board. We got the board and with the assistance of Amy installed it ourselves. There's a few girls on here who even retimed their machines over the phone. I don't know anything about Gamill's maintenance or customer service but I don't know how APQS could be beat. If the machine has to go back to the shop, there's something very, very serious wrong. Which ever machine you chose please post pics of your quilts!!!!:):)

I've had my millennium over four years now, drove from Pensacola, Fl to Paducah (at the time it was the closest dealer) to test drive an APQS. Didn't think twice about returning to Paducah a couple months later for my beginners class. We're getting more dealers out there, but if you had to send your Gammill out for repair chances are it wouldn't go to the dealer but to the factory. Is the factory any closer to you? 99% of any repairs or tweeking needed with either brand would be done be you (or DH) with the support phone or forum in your home. Trust your gut you'll be happier in the end.

I just ordered a new Millie last week. I had signed up for the newsletter on the APQS website, and requested their brochure. I received email last week of 72 hr sale of $1000 off plus the free shipping that is on for the month. I figured that paid for the hydralic lift. I figured I have wanted and dreamed for a long time now and it was time to take the leap. Usually after you make a big purchase, you get this feeling of "OH MY GOSH what have I done". But I have not felt that way at all. So my little voice tells me it was a good thing!

Good luck on your decision!

Orla, I too am biased. I have used a Gammill Classic Plus and almost bought my own when I was ready to buy. I test drove the Millie and that was it for me! There are some big differences in the stitch quality and feel of the machine, so like Myrna said... go with your intincts and make the change.

As far s going with Gammill because the dealer is closer for service. With the APQS machines, they are made so that most things can be done by you and you don't have to worry about shipping the machine in for service. They truly are easy to work on.

Orla,

I'm not a dealer, but I am a want-a-be dealer :) So I will practice. No, I won't practice, I'll tell you what I think you should do....it is entirely up to you. I have a Millie, and I love my Millie. I have not had a Gammill, but if the servicing of your machine is all you are worried about....don't. These machines are fool proof. You can do almost anything you need to do to your machine, armed with a screw driver and the manual. If you have problems, you can call the factory and talk to a tech...they are so willing to walk you through any part of the problem and you will feel like a rock star when you are done.

I have used a Gammill...I just don't like them, but I am use to my Millie. A Gammill girl will say the same thing about her Gammill.

That being said...if it were me....I would cancel that Gammill and re-order that Millie!! Now!!!

For what it's worth, here's my experience. I bought a Nolting a couple of years ago when right from the beginning I wanted an APQS. I told myself I couldn't justify the price, since I don't quilt as a business.

Well, long story short - I sold my Nolting last December and bought a Millie. I LOVE HER! The difference between the two machines is like night and day and I haven't had one single issue that hasn't been resolved quickly and easily over the phone.

You can get all the support you need right here on this forum for most things and the service and support at APQS is THE BEST!

If you can, I would cancel your order - you'll always regret it if an APQS is what you really wanted in the first place.

Well, you've gotten lots of feedback here!

The only advice I want to give you is this: This is a major purchase; a major decision that will impact you in the future, regardless of what machine you choose.

If you ask me, a Gammil or an APQS is like a Ford or a Chevy. Personal preference. Both drive you down the road and get you to where you're going. Both have their options that appeal to different people. There is nothing wrong with a Ford or a Chevy or a Gammil or an APQS. It boils down to what you like and how you feel when you use it.

So, go with your gut instinct. If you don't feel 100% sure about this decision, then absolutely, you can back out of this. Not a problem. It is perfectly OK (and your right as a consumer) to change your mind. All it takes is a simple reverse transaction.

If your only concern is maintenance support, there are a lot of folks who own these machines that are no where near a dealer (me included). I've not had any trouble with my APQS machine and if I did (or do) I know all it takes is a phone call or post my problem on this chat and I have solutions coming to me in a matter of minutes. :)

Orla,

Listen to everyone here, but mostly listen to your heart and go with it. Dealers and helpers for service are all so close today with this site and the phone. When I was putting my Millie together - big question came up right off the bat. Weekend of course. Got on this site and left a couple of help posts. Also looked up the dealers and just started calling until I found someone. She was great, questions answered and my Millie went from pieces to this beautiful machine. Also, answers came in on this forum within a couple of hours plus a phone call from Dawn C. Everyone on this site and those involved with APQS are so great and helpful:) Have never seen so many women (and men too) helping each other at the drop of the hat.

Both machines are good, but in the end I chose APQS for 2 big reasons: 1. Service!!!! 2. Tension - best on the market.

Now that you have a bit of 2 cents from everyone, Good luck and welcome to the fold no matter what machine you get.

Meg:cool:

Orla,

I agree with all that has been said so far. I looked at a Gammil and I too chose a APQS over Gammil because of the customer service. I have a Gammil dealer much closer to me but I just didn't get the impression that they would be there for me like APQS. I have to say I'm thrilled with my choice. I know the gals on the board will help you know matter what machine you have but if I had to choose again I would clearly make the same decision. I would be surprised if there isn't a certain number of days to cancel your order and get a refund but I wouldn't waste any time about if if I knew I wanted to change my mind. Like everybody said listen to your heart and it will speak to you! Good luck.

Dear Orla,

I to was torn between the two machines you mention. I had actually picked out a gammil (used) I could afford when something inside me said get the millennium. It is by far a better machine in every way. The tension is wonderful, the stitche is beautiful. All the extra features I got with my millie like auto quilt advance I cannot live without. Cancel your order and get a millie. You will not be sorry. We will all be here to help you any time.

Sincerely,

Nora Alquraisha

Millennium

Washougal WA

Well first things first__ thanks everyone for tons of help and great support that you have given me. Second I regret to say but to be truthful it looks like I’m going to have to buy the Gammill machine after all. I do reall regret that I changed my mind midstream however DH and myself had an argument with me trying to reason why I was opting to choose the Millennium. We were getting nowhere and DH could not see my reasoning for my decision to opt out of buying the Gammill.

Also I have to take into account that when I went into our bank to have the funds transferred from our bank to the dealer’s our bank would not transfer and I was getting nowhere with them. DH went to the bank later on in the day and tried to make some headway. He spent a long while in trying to make a payment into the dealers USD business account. It did not appear that the two banks would collaborate to have funds transferred straight from one bank account to another in a transaction because we were not dealing in our own currency.

DH was in touch with the dealer and the dealer in turn contacted their bank and what was gathered there was no reasoning behind the fact our bank was being difficult i(t would appear) This meant more trips to the bank to see the reason for not being able to transfer. In the end there was no reason, except we were dealing in two different currencies, and DH settled for a bankers cheque which he took and deposited into the dealers account so after all his work in trying to negotiate an easy form of making the payment he was satisfied that in the end payment was made. He won’t go through (changing to the Millennium could mean more difficulty)that again.

Orla

Orla, Don't dispair, you'll survive with the Gammill!! These machines hold their value well so in a little while you can sell it and get what you really wanted all along!!! By then you'll be making money and your DH will be supportive!! In the meantime, practice practice, practice and have fun with your new baby!!!

Debbie Caadwallender

APQS Sales Service Education

afinishedquilt@tds.net

517-304-6954

Central Michigan

Orla,

It isn't worth fighting with DH - he is letting you have your LA. I waited 5 years before my DH let me have mine. Gammill is a good machine and you will learn all the same things the rest of us are learning and you will produce beautiful quilts. That is the end goal........ to be able to quilt beautifully and have fun in the process. All of us are lucky to have our wonderful babies! Be happy and look forward to your new Gammill ;) - and still come here to ask all kinds of questions and share what you make. And as was mentioned earlier - if at some point you do want an APQS - sell the Gammill and buy your Millie.

Welcome to the group - you will be happy with your Gammill - it is a great machine - just not a APQS.

Meg:cool:

Orla,

You may find that you love your Gammil. Don't despair, it will be fine. Linda Card purchased a Gammil about a year ago of so and she loves her's. She had an Ultimate I (I think) and sold it to buy the Gammil. She is very satisfied. If you don't love it....like others have said, you won't have a problem selling it.

Archived