I'm Guilty...

Jan: I know I'm chiming in a little late here, but I gotta say.... I agree with the group...

I'm a bit like Shana though, I like to get 'er done and quick... i love to send them out and hear what others think. I also pack two weeks early for trips. I lay out my clothes in the evening so I have time in the morning for that extra minute of relaxation before I begin work...

That being said, I'm excited you are going to complete them! Congrats! Also, you said something about "people's block preferences". This is why the Christmas block exchange is soooo easy this time... You make 12 of the SAME blocks for every one. So, you don't have to wait to hear back, you just cut and sew!!! Kool huh?

Linda: I agree with the "promise Nazi" thing... learned from tooo many broken ones!

Bobbette,

I can tell you a year ahead when my haircuts, speaking engagements, and so forth are... and I wouldn't pack that early any more, but there was a time when that would have been totally me.

I think the world is divided into those who go with the flow and those who go ahead. It's painful to the ones who are on the obessive side to those who "mean well." Whenever we mix there is bound to be tension. Let me be in a group of Get It Done Now Gals and I am happy as a clam. Put me with the Excuse Brigade and I'm done.

It has nothing to do with personal impatience. It simply has to do with how we approach obligations and how serious a promise is. I am dealing with my fourth major cancer and I continue to put my self together every day. Perhaps it's because of dealing with BIG ISSUES that getting a few things done for others is a worthwhile effort, even when it's a big effort. Some folks seem to take forever to get things done because they act like "someday" will come around like magic and all the (promised) straw will be spun into gold. Might be nice to live in that universe, but that hasn't been my personal experience. Other folks challenge themselves and make it an exchange and a blessing. It's always about choice.

Originally posted by Bobbi47

This is why the Christmas block exchange is soooo easy this time... You make 12 of the SAME blocks for every one. So, you don't have to wait to hear back, you just cut and sew!!! Kool huh?

Bobbi, I'm with you on the Christmas block being so quick and easy to do. (That's why I signed up to do it -- I'm a quick n easy kinda gal) ;)

Ya know, I gotta tell you truly that my DH was out of town one night (no interruptions), so after work I turned on some fun music, then I cut and sewed all twelve of my blocks in one evening. It was fast and easy because I used the same fabrics, the same pattern I just sat down, cut, pieced and pressed them and they were done! :P

Well said, Shana. I'm glad someone said it, and didn't sugarcoat it. I'm not to good at that!

I didn't join the Christmas Block exchange because I felt so burned by the Birthday block exchange.

I sent out blocks to EVERY person on the list and received blocks from about 1/3. Then I have seen folks who entered the Christmas exchange (who were in the Birthday one) who are participating there but never sent blocks back or even acknowledged that they received a Birthday Block from me.

I tried hard to make blocks according to each person's requirements. I had to go out and buy fabric for most of them because I didn't have the fabric colors, etc. that they requested. I tried to make sure I made them really well also. The picture in my avatar is one I sent out that I never received any acknowledgment for. I sent emails to see if it was received and never got an answer. Many were like that.

I understand that life throws curve balls. We've had many of those recently. Earlier in the year we had SIX funerals in about a 7 week period. Thankfully not my DH. I don't think I'd recover well from that. One of those was a family member who was visiting another family member who was in the hospital dying and on the way home slid on some ice and hit an 18 wheeler headon. It took an hour to cut him out and he was lifeflighted to the hospital. He died a few days after the other one. My sister almost died several times during the exchange. We had other things happen also, but I made sure I got those blocks sent out because I felt that it was a commitment on my part.

By the way, SandraC: I received one from you that was really pretty!

Jeanne,

I'm so sorry you didn't receive all of your blocks for the b'day exchange. I'm missing 2 but no biggie. I have no idea when I'll get it pieced together anyway. I love the block in your avitar...I wish I had gotten that one! Gorgeous and it sure looks like you put a lot of work into it. I too decided not to join the Christmas exchange. If you tell me your desires I'd love to make you a b'day block to replace one you didn't receive.

That's really sweet, Heidi. Tell you what: I'll sent you one like the one in my avatar(if you want or in your colors) if you want to send me one of Steps to the Altar (Quilter's Cache)

Just let me know!

This thread just hit a sore spot for me. sorry I sounded whiney!

Jeanne - I agree, you didn't sound whiney.... just like ALL of us!

I'm with Heidi - love your quilt block in your avatar... what is the name of it? Looks a bit familar, but I can't place it.... Is it from the paper pieced book of 50 stars / states???

p.s. I hope and pray that life is being much more kind to you and your family these days!:)

Archived