Strangers and Quilts

Do you ever have people you don't know ask you to make them a quilt? Last week the gardener at my office complex asked me what I would charge to make him a king size quilt. I said I don't do that. He kept pushing it so I said $1,000. He asked how I came up with that and I said my time, the quilting process, one of a kind quilt, blah blah blah. He said he was thinking more around $100! So the next day I see him and he makes a comment that because I refused to make him a quilt, he went and bought a tool box instead! I get this a lot from people I don't even know and I know that's it because they see my license plate on my car which is quilt related. My husband keeps telling me I need to get rid of that license plate so people will quit bugging me!

People have asked me the same thing and I seldom know what to say either. My DIL's mother asked me to make a quilt for her to give as a baby gift so we went shopping after picking out a pattern for the quilt. She paid for the fabric and I made it. Then she (being a gardener who starts plants from seed) brought over plants and redid my flower garden for me. :)That was a fair trade.

I get this sometimes. And there are some who have no idea of the cost involved. I personally don't have time to piece my own quilts, so any sewing I do I'd rather spend it on my own.

Also, I think, that by spending time making diddly-squat piecing for someone, I could be making a lot more money at the longarm.

So, I usually explain nicely that piecing is not part of my business and try to direct them to someone who may like to make some money on the side.

Oh, I forgot, too....

I get a lot of request to do regular sewing. People suppose that since you do quilts, you'll take on anything...and for me ~ I'm not a fan of other sewing and am not good at making clothes at all.

For instance, a local church was looking for someone to make 40 Pew-long cushions for the congregation to sit on. They thought I would appreciate the work. Don't get me wrong, I glad they are thinking of me and adding to my business...but this kind of work would be excrutiating for me!

Then you get people asking if you'll do hemming, etc.....just not my bag, man!!!

I do get a lot of requests for quilts, "how much for a king (queen) (baby) etc... size quilt?" I just tell them I need to figure it out, so I crunch some numbers, add what the quilting itself would cost, the binding...add it all up and then tell them it will be "between this and this" usually there is dead silence. After they think about it for awhile they will call back and give me the go ahead. So I go fabric shopping then show them what I have come up with, so they can have some input, then get to work. I have a full time 6 day a week job, so it does not happen overnight. When my son was in 6th grade I made 9 prom dresses and that was the last year, (I started college classes--had enough on my plate) but doing garment sewing/alterations put food on the table for many years. Being a single mother, I could at least buy eggs to get us through the week. I do occasionally alter something but I also charge plenty for it. Just recently altered a few bridesmaids dresses, quoted them $15/hour-- their response was "I hope you don't charge me $300 for this", I said,"I charge $15/hour and if it takes that long, that's what it will be." Oh, by the way this lady has a big house in town, plus a "cabin at the lake". Did I feel bad--no.

Anyway I love to make quilts when asked for others., but I am not afraid to say no either. I actually have quilts all over the states, and a few over seas. I like to pass my god given talent around. It is a good feeling to see things come together. Have a good day, Judy

Gable,

perhaps you could write up a flier that documents the different sizes of quilts, the fabric yardage and batting size required, then list the costs for those things. Under that, list your labor time in the sub total and grand total it all out. Under that, list your quilting services and the costs to quilt each size. You could even insert a few photos and quilting designs. That way you have something that looks professional, has all the information clearly written out so people can take it home for consideration. Sometimes just mentioning it verbally freaks these people out (information overload) because they have absolutely NO CLUE the time it takes and the costs involved in creating a CUSTOM piece of art. I consider a custom quilt a piece of art. No one balks at paying for an original oil painting or a sculpture; same goes with something created with fabric and thread. They want something original, they pay for it.

PS: I still haven't heard from the lady who wanted me to make her a king size double wedding ring quilt. I am sure she's freaking out from the costs I gave her. LOL! :P

Eva--too funny!

Great input here! When someone asks me "what would it cost" I start by saying, quality fabric runs $10 a yard. A king size quilt may take 30 yards of fabric--including the backer. Are you ready to pay $300 up front just for the fabric? They usually have no idea what is involved. They are used to seeing the bed-in-a-bag at the dept. store for $159.99 and are stunned.

As far as the charge for piecing and quilting, I always compare it to commissioning someone to make an intricate inlaid-wood table. You pay for all the different types of wood, someone meticulously shapes the pieces and places them, it is then finished carefully to present the customer with an heirloom--a pricey one at that!

I love Shana's idea of a hand-out with commission-quilt information on costs. And maybe a referral list of piecers so you can collaborate with someone you know. Great ideas here!

Love this post!

My co-worker called me a seamstress the other day! I was highly offended! Which is really ironic because my sewing skills include a 1/4 seam and bindings - lol:P So the title of "seamstress" might be a step up!:P I laugh when people think I know how to hem pants! Heck, I don't even know if I spelled the word "hem" correctly!

My sewing skills, other than piecing, include a Aladdin outfit for my son for his first Halloween outing. Then the sewing machine went away for 13 years!

I AM A QUILTER NOT A SEAMSTRESS!! ok, just had to say that to myself! Now, if I could figure out how to hem pants on a longarm machine, I might have to change my title to longarm quilter/seamstress extraordinaire (is that a word?).

My standard answer to someone who wants a quilt made from start to finish is, go to Walmart, it's cheaper and quicker! The last estimate I gave for a start to finish quilt including a PITA charge was $1150.00.

Now quilting others pieced tops, no problem! At least the piecer has felt the pain and has somewhat of an understanding and appreciation!

Joanne....AMEN!!! I use to have a Seamstress that decided that she wanted to become a quilter....what a PITA she was....She made beautiful clothes, and suits....so you would think she should be able to hold a 1/4 inch seam. WRONG.....I would get anything from a 1/4 to a full 5/8s and beyond.... Then she had the gall to complain when I couldn't get her quilts square....flat I could do, with my trusty can of spray starch, but square I wasn't going to take the blame for that one.:D

If it had been me and my co-worker had called me that I would not only been offended...I think I would have asked her not to swear at me.;)

Seamstresses don't take offense here...I too can sew and have made my own clothes for years, but there are some who just don't get the 1/4 thing.;)

You guys are all so funny. :) I love reading these posts. Unlike some of you, I truly love to piece quilts. I would have a hard time doing it for others though because I would have to charge too much. By the time you buy the fabric, batting, thread, etc. I would be hard pressed to be able to get compensated for my time, especially with the minimal options I had for quilting it (short arm or hand quilting). So, when someone asks me to do a quilt for them I have to decide whether I like them well enough to donate my time. :). Now, since I got my Millie, I wouldn't bat an eye at charging for a start to finish.

Glenda,

Jen came over one day with button in hand wanting me to sew it on...of course I can...but did I want to...nope. I told her to sit down and I would show her 28 year old self how to do that. "How 'bout you just do it for me?" she says with a grin. GRRRR. I did...but I swear....next time!!

Shana, I definitely agree a quilt is a piece of art. And you are right, most people have no clue what goes into making a quilt. Your idea of a list is great. My only problem is I don't want to piece for anybody else:o I'm selfish with my time, I admit, and I will occasionally make a gift for somebody, but other than that, forget it:P Oh, and I get people at work asking me to hem their kids' pants, too. One of the attorneys I work for asked me if I would sew buttons on his shirt! I told him, "Quilters don't do buttons." My goodness!

Had a man call me about a week ago. He had picked up my quilting card at Hancocks where he was buying upholsery fabric. He was looking for someone to make custom pillows for the beds in is camper. What he really wanted was upholstered foam beds that would also be used for seating! Told him I didn't think I could do that on my 14 foot long industrial quilting machine that was built to quilt quilts. He definately understood the tool angle and asked if I knew anyone who might do it. Referred him to an upholsterer in a neaby town that I know does nice work.

My DSIL almost dropped her teeth when she asked how much I would charge to make a quilt from scratch. I think she'll be going to Penney's. :) I even told her I would give her the family discount but I still think the sticker shock was a bit much for her. I really don't think that she thought my hobby was that expensive, but then she thinks that fabric is still a couple of dollars a yard!

The Homeowner's Association for my condo required that everyone get an additional railing at the bottom of our second story balconies so babies couldn't slip through.

I was outside photographing a quilt on the grass from my balcony shortly after receiving that notice, and a workman was fixing the balcony next door. I asked him how much it cost to get it done, and he quoted $300.00. Seeing my quilt on the grass, he said that if I made a couple of quilts for the owner, maybe I could work out a trade.

I told him that for the last quilt I made (my first commission), I got $3,000.

He had nothing more to say.

I have a friend who wants me to make a quilt for free. I asked her to at least buy the fabric from a quilt store as well as the batting. She replyed that she "had a lot on her plate". I have not heard anything else about it. I told her to take her time. I figure if she really wants it, then she should at least make an investment in the fabric.

I have another friend who paid me $1000.00 for a custom quilt with pillows to match.

The first friend has no idea what it takes to make a quilt. I informed her that it would take hours and that my hands would be in much pain afterwards. I am hoping she gets the message that it is not going to happen unless she at least pays for fabric. I also told her that it would not be a labor intensive pattern. I would do something quick and easy.

Do any of you have suggestions for a quick and easy quilt?

Semedo - How about a Big Block quilt. Large pieces - One block quilts. Very fast & easy yet doesn't look like you took the easy way out!!! There's a book out there that would give you the dimensions but you could draft it pretty easy with some graft paper. That is if she comes up with some fabric for you to use!!:P

Semedo,

She expects you to pay for all the fabric, batting and thread; then spend hours of your valuable time to piece, quilt and bind her a nice quilt. And she expects YOU to foot the bill for the whole thing? How good a friend is she? Even my mom and sister don't expect that kind of service from me.

A few months ago a high school classmate got my name somehow and called me asking if I would piece 5 small quilts from blocks her grandmother made. We agreed to meet and I looked at the blocks, they were square and done very neatly. I shot her a figure and we both agreed that I would do one and then either party could back out. I did easy sashing and borders, nothing fancy and then did the quilting which was more intricate. They were thrilled with it and I was happy with the price too. So we have 4 more to do; since then, my DMIL has agreed to do the piecing and sewing on the binding so I can keep up with my quilting. It is working for both of us and I will pay her what I quoted them for the piecing and binding. I will NOT piece again for a customer. I just don't have the time to piece for someone and keep up with quilting workload, plus my day job. Maybe someday when I retire!!! Who knows?

I guess my business card says "professional quilter" not "piecer" so I'll stand by it!

Sharon

Another related funny...while in a class, a woman told us that her husband asked if she could hem his pants....she told him her new machine couldn't do that kind of sewing, only quilts!

Semona, have you seen the "Happy Hour Quilts" book? It is jammed with very easy quilts. I have made two for my daughter out of there (she's 27), and she loves them!

When a former neighbor learned I could sew, and owned a sewing machine, she put a pair of pants she had ripped the seat out of in a plastic bag and put it on my front door while I was out grocery shopping. It had a note in it to "please fix these for my upcoming cruise". I couldn't believe it! Just because I could sew, made quilts (which she knew about), etc. she left ripped pants for me to fix!!! I called her to tell her it would cost $15 for me to repair them, she agreed and the pants got fixed and I got my money--- BUT she never did that again. I've also had teachers at the kids school ask me to repair their ripped clothing. One teacher had a favorite pair of pants with the zipper busted. I told her I would fix it for $20, she declined, I guess the pants weren't that favorite after all!:P

Archived