Strangers and Quilts

I always tell my friends that I hate to mend anything so don't ask! I do it for my husband but thats it! My kids now know how to mend their own things! My son's friends used to crack up because he would fix his own clothes even as a teenager! I think he did it so he didn't have to listen to be complain and yell at him for tearing his clothes up...like I said I hate to mend! I will sew almost anything from scratch!

• 4 weeks later...

My DIL and I have a longarm business and thought we would try selling finished quilts. We have a table at the Farmers Market in Whistler B.C. To date we have sold two small quilts and a cushion! We have thirty quilts in various sizes, shapes, and colours. Our king size quilt is $800.00, it is a huge draw to the table as we hang it out full so it can be seen from a distance. Everyone loves it ... however when we tell the the price they run like we have taken a cattle prod to them. It doesnt seem to matter which quilt they pick up ... I count to three and wait for the questions ... do you have this in another colour, do you have it bigger, how about smaller. I clench my teeth, smile, and tell them no. Many of the market shoppers do love our work. We are constantly being complimented on our work, which is nice to hear, but at the end of a long day of smiles, packing and unpacking quilts, we have decided we will not be at the market next year!

This is something I too thought about...have had family tell me I should do it, but have taken to watching my MIL who is an oil painter, and travels around to different craft fairs and markets, and I see the same things happen to her as you have gone through so am glad that I didn't listen or really want to do it....

Not sure what the real answer is, but Monika.....found a site that she was able to sell some of her wares on...can't remember it and of course didn't put it in my favorites...can anyone remember what that site was.

This weekend I am making a quilt (from scratch) from my stash for a neighbor/friend. It is just a baby size quilt. 44X56.... It will be about $130!!! And I even gave her a break on the cost of my time per hour and I used some fabric that I got at Walmart!!!! With the cost of the quilting and all the fabric and my per hour, that adds up QUICK!!! I could not imagine making a big quilt for someone!!!Especially good fabric! don't think I'll do this anymore!! I think I 'll stick with just the quilting!! But I know I should never say never, but I don't think so!!! :) linda

megmarsh: I guess I didn't follow up on that post - - yes, I really did get $3,000. It was a "thank you for donations" quilt. They wanted a quilt instead of a plaque on the wall. It was a huge appliqued tree with branches and (appliqued) leaves on which I had embroidered the name of each donor. The color of the leaves indicated the amount donated. It was machine quilted on my DSM. I'm glad I did it but will never do another like it. I was lucky if I made minimum wage.

And I'm the one who doesn't like to do applique!

I also had lots of people asking me if I made quilts for others, and I never knew a price to quote. Humma, humma.....duh.

Sooooo, I developed a price sheet. Figured if I'm gonna be making some quilts anyway, might as well get paid for them.

So if someone asks now, I can give them a price range and take it from there. Some people are shocked and others don't bat an eye. I have made 8 or 9 quilts in the last year that others have paid for. And I've sold 3 that I had made earlier.

I have learned that when people come in my studio to see my quilting operation, it's best to have prices on all my quilts that I'm willing to sell. Saves embarassment -- they see the price, it's up to them. I pin a little piece of fabric with the price of the quilt onto the corner.

But my preference is to just quilt other people's quilts.

Archived