1st quilt DONE

Grammie

Well I finished my first top last night after work. I did a simple freehand allover and well it was a blast. Seemed it wasn't perfectly square but I think I've worked it out. It was just a plain strip pieced quilt that I purchased from Ebay and when it arrived I wasn't that crazy about it but once it was quilted it really is a nice quilt. I like to buy the old fashioned looking tops so that when I finish I can donate them to the Nursing Home where my Grandmother is. They like that look. Cannot wait to load the next one. I'll try to get a digital and send. Working 12 hrs shift thru Sun. I will be glad when my Hartley and guides are in so I can try some other techniques. I already want to get the COMPUQUILTER as soon as Possible. I am reading the Manual now. :cool::cool:

Hi Grammie,

Congratulations on finishing your first quilt! When you mentioned you like to buy the old fashioned type quilts from e-bay, it made me smile, because I do that too. I have three so far, two GFG and one split nine patch. I want to practice feather wreaths in the open areas of the split nine patch. Its so sweet that you donate yours to the nursing home; what a great idea!

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats Grammie on finishing your first quilt! I am a long arm wannabe, and have never even touched one. I can't justify the cost of the machine for a hobby, and that is all I am now. But, I am working on it. I wanted to say that I love bidding on the quilts on EBay, but have never actually won a quilt. Everytime, someone outbids me, and I don't get back in time to bid before it ends. I collect the old quilts and quilt tops, and I would like to find more. Good Luck on your LA, I am so envious!

Lynn:(

An idea of donating quilts....I'm still practicing on "Cheater" fabrics...bought 10 yards of a SUNBONNNET SUE print..and learning to follow the lines and stipple, etc....if you put in a full size quilt...and when finished just cut it into quarters and bind ea. quarter..you have 4 baby quilts or 4 lap quilts. Mine are going to NEWBORNS in NEED and LA. DISASTER. them little cold babies won't care if there is an occassional boo-boo.

TODAY.....I am putting in an honest to good-ness quilt..an embroidered top and see if I can follow the little blue dots that are printed for a quilting design...I may end up "improvising"....

Archived