Pink Friendship Stars

Here's another one for you. I already know what I'm doing on this one too. Here's a little background on this one:

This is a group project from some of the members of Alex Anderson's Message Board. Nine inch friendship star blocks using light pink/dark pink were sent to me along with a fat quarter of their background fabric (from the block). I made the sashing using the background fabric so the block doesn't look "square" . . looks more roundish. Then I set the blocks on point, added the borders and now I will quilt it.

I'm not being paid for this one so the amount of quilting isn't an issue.

The finished quilt will go to American Patchwork & Quilting magazine for their breast cancer project. In case you didn't know about that, they were asking for quilters to send in blocks (10" I think) and I can't remember all the rules but they are having the blocks made into quilts, then quilted, then auctioned to raise money for breast cancer. I will quilt two of those quilts but as a group, some of us on the AAMB decided to make a whole quilt and send in so . . this is it:

http://community.webshots.com/album/144259534huQugx

What would you do? Again, I already know what I'm doing with it. I'll wait to tell you after you respond.

Oh, that reminds me. I always ask my clients NOT to tell me what they're thinking about the quilt til they hear what I'm thinking. If they tell me, then I can't think of anything but what they're thinking. So, if they keep it under their hat, and let me think about something, I'll come up with something different. Sometimes, they still like their idea, sometimes they like my idea and sometimes we end up with a combination of the ideas.

I have pondered this quilt again and again, and I don't really have any bright ideas :(. The only thing I can think of this morning is in the stars, I would put a loopy flowery thing, sort-of like a daisy with longer and shorter petals as it goes around the star. In the background of the stars, maybe a little heart-like filler like Bottoms Up. SID around everything, of course. In the setting triangles around the blocks, I would put half feather wreaths, or if I could find a stencil for a larger daisy-like thing. In the border, a curving feather design, or some sort of matching daisy-like border if I were to go that way. But I like feathers, so would do that, simply because I like them so much! I don't know that my ideas would do much for this quilt or not :), but am anxious to hear what you are going to do with it!

First I think I would use a very pale pink thread, or pink varigated. I would go around the x's with a continuous scroll line which would make it look almost like a flower. Then I would put an heart over each star, varying the direction, and a small heart wreath in each of the outside triangles. A linked cable in the narrow border and large hearts, altering directions (can be done continuous line) in wide border. :oThe reason why I would use the hearts is because it is a quilt from loving, caring people for a wonderful cause and something we would love to see eliminated.

Guest Linda S

Judy - I think that I would find a nice block design to do over the stars - not necessarily a star pattern, but something interesting and not too terribly busy. I would probably use a light colored thread -- variegated might get lost in the colors there. In the outer triangles, I might use a medium stippling, then in the border perhaps a nice pink variegated in a loop and star motif. Of course, I'm kind of still coming at it from a hand quilter point of view, but I thought I'd take a stab at it! ;)

Linda

Hi Judy

Thanks for giving us this chance of learning quilting suggestions - especially from someone like me such a newie

In the pale border I would do a heart and star freehand with loops inbetween. Narrow pattern in dark border - possible like a cable style. Stiple in the cream background. SID around the star, not sure about the areas around the star

If this is helping you all think about quilting ideas, I'll keep posting pictures. Let me know.

On the pink friendship stars, the plan was to do a feathered triangle shape in the setting triangles and then a curley feather in the border.

Someone suggested a feathered heart in the setting triangles and I think I'm going to change my original plan and go with that idea. So, thanks!

In the friendship stars, I will do a heart flower type shape with spikey things going into the points. If I can come up with the right shades of pink thread, I'm going to do McTavishing in the background of the stars. If I can't come up with the right shades, I'm not sure what I'll do!

That's my plan! Hopefully I'll get to this quilt by the middle of next week.

Archived