Starting a new home business....help

I have been looking at long-arm machines. I have a viking that I am using now.

I am totally lost with the business plan and that side of things. I have checked into the need around my area so I know that the business is out there. I am known around in the quilting circles here as well. So guess what I need is the knowledge to turn this into a business.

Also any advice on machines and frames. I have a frame but am looking to upgrade everything. So any input would be helpful.

Cate: Welcome to the message board here.

I believe APQS can send you some sample business plans or at least some info to get you started.

I've never been much for planning . . I always jump in with both feet, then look back and think . . maybe I should have done some planning but can't teach and old dog new tricks!:o

If you have any specific questions, someone here will be glad to help.

Good luck!

Guest Linda S

Cate: you can get good information on this site. Also, when I started thinking about it, I went to my state government small business website and looked for restrictions on small businesses. Turned out that in Oregon, there is an Oregon Small Business Guide, available in PDF format. I downloaded it and it gave me all sorts of info on checking into licensing requirements, zoning requirements, etc. Luckily, for small businesses, like machine quilting, at least in my area, there isn't a lot of regulation, so the steps were pretty simple! ;)Now the hardest part will be practicing to make my quilts look fabulous so everyone will want me to quilt theirs for them! I've already got lots of folks lined up waiting for me to be ready. Talk about pressure! :D

Linda

This is the direct link to the sign-up page for a free quilting business starter kit:

http://www.apqs.com/ordercatalog.htm

It's a good place to start getting organized and includes all the information about APQS quilting machines as well as outlines how quilting can pay for the cost of the machine.

You can also request a starter kit by phone at 1-800-426-7233.

While you're waiting for the packet to arrive check out this page http://www.apqs.com/quiltbiz.htm for some basic background to help get the ball rolling today.

Tad

APQS.com

CHECK IN YOUR AREA OR SURROUNDING AREA FOR A SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION. THEY WILL DO ALL THE PAPER WORK FOR YOU. REALLY ,THEY DO EVERYTHING, EVEN FIND YOU FINANCING. I AM STARTING MY OWN BUSINESS AND I WENT TO THE SBA.

Excellent ideas. I am started my research 2 years ago, and as I am a business major, I had no trouble writing a business plan, and I included, cash flow,and a projected sales and expense report. I highly recommend you take the time to do a business plan. I went to a local bank and they had no idea what a longarm is, and I am find I have to educate my insurance company also. So I recommend you know your stuff, the machine, how many quilts you can project you will put out. Your pricing, etc. Debbie's suggestion to use SCORE is excellent advice. They can help you also write your business plan and they are free. They are also moving into a mentoring program, for small business that are already started to help with marketing and helping them stay on track. I also took a small business class at the local college put on by score. And they covered a lot of issues, such as LLC verus Inc. and these are things you need to decide on. Me I am an LLC. Some people told me not to bother with all of the legal stuff, just hang my sign and people will come. But I went to the bank for my loan ( its my car for the next five years) and they will want you to be legal. I paid my tax guy $350.00 to set up everything. The name the business, the reseraching of the name, the tax ID, everything. And like Debbie said there are associations out there that will walk you through the process. Good Luck. We will be listening to see what happens.

I used the sample business plan that APQS sent to me a couple of months ago. It is a great starting point.

I bought my first machine this past week, and have been updating the business plan with new information on a regular basis. If nothing else it's a great place to record ideas and thoughts that you might not be ready to implement yet.

Archived