Insurance . . again!

I've written here recently about our insurance woes but it continues. We ended up going with Allstate for the new insurance. According to our agent, they have no in home business coverage available but he was sure if I use my machine 50% for business and 50% personal, it would be covered. I said I wanted that in writing. Well, as it turns out, if the machine is used 1% business and 99% personal, it is NOT covered. ANY amount of business use and it is excluded. Same thing with Liberty Mutual. Can't even get State Farm here to call me back with a quote.

I'm going with Milne Scali. I've heard that isn't the best but it has to be better than nothing. There is no liability coverage available through them so it will be purely coverage on quilts belonging to others, my machine and my business supplies. I didn't have people coming to my house anyway but without insurance coverage, that surely isn't going to happen.

What are the rest of you doing about insurance?

Guest Linda S

Judy - I saw your post to Christine on MQP and I emailed her myself. I noticed on the inventory form she has posted that it lists the property DETACHED from your residence where you have your business. Well, my place of business is NOT detached from my residence, so I guess that rules me out of that option. I guess I'll have to stick with State Farm. A little on the spendy side, but I guess it will be worth it in the long run.

Linda

I just got my insurance today, because of the run around from my insurance company, and they now have lost all of our business. I have a rider on my home onwers policy. I strictly have the long-arm business no quilt shop, and told them it was basically a hobby/business. I live in Michigan so it might be different than other states. But I was able to get covered for liability and of course the worth of the machine, when I pay my loan down to $10,000.00 I can drop to a lower rate, a $50.00 difference. This insurance has costed me on top of my home owners $400.00 a year. But I am covered and the bank is happy. Educating them was a big factor. My first insruance company ( who we no longer have0 quoted me a $300,000.00 commercial that would cost me $1,000.00 a year. I said no thanks.

Guest Linda S

I have my homeowner's and car insurance with the same company and they have agreed to give me business insurance in addition for $330/year. Of course, my house is just a small cottage, so that may have something to do with it. I suppose I should get out my rabbit's feet and four leaf clovers -- everything has seemed to fall into place so easily for me so far, it's almost frightening. I keep going back to make sure all my 'i's are dotted and my 't's are crossed, and it looks good from here. Oh please let me have some talent for this!

Linda :o

You girls make me laugh! When I first started with that old, ugly monster machine, I had no idea there were other longarmers on the internet so everything I did without breaking a needle or having loopies . . I thought I was doing fantastic.

The problem now is that you are all seeing pictures or quilt shows and you see work like Sherry Rogers and Marilyn Badger and Karen McTavish. Remember . . you learned to walk before you learned to run. Your initial work will not look like Sherry or Marilyn's (and if it does, please don't tell me!)

I promise you all I have zero artistic talent but with enough work and effort, I can turn out a fairly decent quilt. Do not worry!! You'll all be great!

:)I called the agency that handles our house insurance and she got back to me the next day with a quote. For 20,000 inventory( machine and other things) and 300,000 libality it will cost me $285/year,our insurance is with Met Life so that might be some where for others to look. Guess thats not to bad after listening to some of your problems. I will be having people come to my home I hope.!!!! Will be getting my machine, :D a Millennium, in JUly . Have taken some sm business work shops, finishing my business plan now and going to talk to the Bankers :o the first of next week so wish me luck that I all goes smoothly. This is so nice to be able to talk to other newbies and experienced longarmers.

Guest Linda S

I'm going to go sit down and talk with my insurance agent a bit more about this and see what the options are. I'm not sure he has a clear picture of what I have in mind, but I want to be certain that my Liberty is insured to the max. Nothing but nothing will happen to my little baby!! ;) I've never had any business classes, but I've been the business manager of the Economics Dept at the UO for almost 20 years, so I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make things run and get the books to come out right. One thing that makes it a bit easier for me is that Oregon has no sales tax. I will, however, have some public transportation tax, etc., to pay (I guess just in case someone takes the bus to my place of business). Ah, details, details!!

Linda

Archived