Bamboo batting

I just found a supplier...guess I should have done my homework before I posted that question.

Can anyone tell me how it compares with Hobbs W&N? Is it warmer, more durable, require more/less quilting? I'd like to know who's used it and how you compare it with other battings?

Thx

Rita

I don't know a supplier, but I just finished a "store" sample and had to "dunk" and dry the quilt since I had marked it - it came out sooo cuddly and soft and since the fabric was antique looking to begin with it just looks lovely! I would give it a 9.9 on the scale! Ok, so maybe a 10.

Sorry, I forgot to take pics of the quilt! I was in a hurry - I pieced and quilted it in a week....

I guess I'm the odd one out. A customer brought it to me to use, and I didn't like it. The quilting was VERY flat! No definition at all. And , My customer was VERY, VERY disappointed in it. She said the quiling was fine, but she was really sad with the batting. Just didn't show the quilting on her quilt that she had worked so hard on!

Linda, what brand of batting did the customer provide? I bought a package of Quilter's Dream Bamboo, and it doesn't seem flat. I haven't used it yet, but plan to try it on one of my own quilts. I saw bamboo batting for sale at MQS last year, and the quilt they were showing as a sample was lovely...nice and soft with beautiful drape and nice stitch definition. I believe it had been washed. Could that be the reason it looked so nice?

I just became a Pellon Legacy distributor for Northern Illinois for Longarmers. I received my first shipment on Thursday, took a few boards to my longarm guild on Saturday and sold the Bamboo batting first thing. Pellon also offers wool, soy, polysters, 80/20 cotton, 100% cotton. Pellon Legacy offers batting rolled up on 24" boards 48 or 96" wide. The boards are just like fabric is sold. The batting also comes in bags (crib, throw, queen, king and rolls). I will be doing mail order as soon as I get it set up on my web site. Pricing is very competitive to Joanne, Hobbs, and Dream Cotton. If you are interested, send me an e-mail.

Also check out the Pellon site at: http://www.quiltlegacy.com/Default_Store_LicenseBrands.aspx

The Bamboo batting that JoAnn Fabrics carry is made by Fairfield. It is a Bamboo and Cotton blend 50/50. It is very soft. I says it shrinks between 2-3%. Quilting distance is up to 8". I just used it in a Community Service quilt for my guild. The "Art Quilt/Generous Crib" is 60 x60".

Rita...Try N. Jefferson in Vancouver; they're probably closest to you. I bought some from Quilt Source in the east, but the shipping costs were far too high. I won't do that again. N. Jefferson has recently started selling Pellon products. In fact they had a special on them a few weeks ago -- introductory offer. Jefferson't prices are good, and so is their service.

Barbara

Archived