help with batting sling

Help! I have an APQS Freedom & tried to make a batting sling using cargo netting and cotton braid strapping. I wove the braid in & out of the holes in the netting & tied it up to my quilt frame. All of the netting sagged to the bottom and when I tried to put the batting in the sling it just falls out. Totally useless as is. What can I do to fix this?

Also if I put my roll of wide batting in the sling, do you have to keep cutting off the part that you didn't use for each quilt? It sounds as if that would make a lot of odd size pieces. Right now I'm quilting mainly small charity quilts. Or is it to simply store the roll of batting? I was hoping not have to roll & measure the batting out on the floor, as there is very little clear floor space in my small home. I'm hope you'll have the answers for me.

Buttonflower

I think you are trying to combine two potential uses when only one will work.

Storage of batting under the frame on a dowel or pipe keeps the batting at hand and allows you to pull out and measure the required amount for the project. Since most batting on a roll is doubled, pull the end of the batting--bring it outside the top take-up roller and lay it on top of the frame across the rollers and pull towards the back side. Use a flexible tape measure and mark the length you need--remembering the width or your batting (usually 94" unless you have purchased wider rolls). I use a blue water erase pen to mark on the batting at both sides. Lay the marks on the batting along the top take-up roller to keep it straight and cut all across. Re-roll the batting and secure the ends with a few pins.

Having a sling suspended under the frame is for storing the batting after loading to keep it clean and off the floor--where otherwise it can be stepped upon or played with by critters or children.:D

I advise you to do an archive search her for batting storage and batting slings. Many brilliant configurations and ideas have been shared. My roll of batting is in the original shipping box stored under my frame. I also have a sling suspended to accept the pre-cut batting for each project.

Don't waste batting by cutting large pieces--cut the narrowest measurement you can. Load the batting so any excess is all on one side or at the bottom, and use the off-cuts for small projects. There are many ways to join batting pieces for use, including the new batting tape.

Good luck and I hope this helped a bit.

Thanks for your response Linda R. and clarifying the two different uses for me. I did the search as you suggested, but didn't see anything using cargo netting so I'll just have to redesign it. I think I'll have to make it just to keep the current quilt & it's backing off of the floor and I need to keep it fairly high as I have to raise the frame & do the "stop, drop, roll" or more often "stop, drop crawl" under the frame to get to the backside of the machine. Did I mention the lack of floor space? The rest of the roll will likely stay in the corner with an old sheet wrapped around it.

Thanks again, Buttonflower (who is actually another Linda)

Hi again, Linda!

Here's an idea to use your cargo netting. Thread one edge of the netting through some nylon rope or strapping to give it some body and use pony clamps to attach one edge of the netting to the bottom of the front rails. Use as many clamps as you need to keep it secure. Get a piece of electrical conduit from the home improvement store--longer than the distance between your frame legs. I needed 12 1/2 feet. Thread the other edge of the netting along the pipe. Load the batting, lay the pipe edge on the floor and place the batting in the netting. Lift one end of the pipe and thread through the angle of the leg at one end. Lift the other end and thread it through on the other leg. The netting will be narrowed and you may need to carefully accordion-fold it to have good feeding of the batting as you advance.

I'll find a photo of my set-up. I used wide muslin for my sling. You can see the clamps on the rail--that wooden thing with the holes is a bracket that accepts the pipe to open the sling up. Den made it using (obviously) wood and clamps at the bottom and top to fasten it to the frame legs. It works great, but just to hold the batting you don't need much adjusting. Good luck and I hope you can get the netting to work for you.

post--13461908209152_thumb.jpg

Archived