fabric bleeding Help

reneea

My first custom quilt has two blocks that are bleeding no where else on the quilt is there any bleeding. Customer did prewash fabric but for some reason these blocks did bleed and of course it is red. I've informed my customer and she has given me permission to wash the quilt in synthrapol with shout color catchers.

My question is how to do this in a front loading washing machine all the information I've found talks about top loading machines.

Should I do the following:

choice A

1) express cycle hot/cold total time 27 minutes

2) synthrapol 2 teaspoons is this the correct amount

3) color catchers 4 sheets

4) spin medium

choice B

1) delicate cycle warm/cold total time 37 minutes

2) synthrapol 2 teaspoons is this the correct amount

4) spin medium

unable to doe hot w/ warm rinse on my machine the warm/warm cycle is the heavy duty cycle and last 71 minutes I don't think I can wait 71 minutes to see if it worked!

choice C

1) use tub fill w/ hot water ~ 1/3-1/2 full

2) synthrapol ? how much

I'm a little nervous about doing this just my luck the whole thing turns pink! Any one who has done this in a front loading machine or know's how this is done or can give any suggestions please help!

Sorry this was so long

Renee

Guest Linda S

I'm fortunate in that my front-loader has a soak cycle. If yours doesn't I'd put it in the bathtub. Read the instructions on the bottle. I think they recommend so many teaspoons per yard of fabric or some such measurement.

However you do it, don't forget to use the color catchers.

How would retain do after the colorcatchers. I sometimes use that with the guilts that I give to community service or QoV.

I also use w/w or c/c.. most often w/c do you not have a reset button on the machine? or stop then reset it.

RitaR

If you put color catchers, use cold water and soak. I did have a quilt top that bleed on it bad. I rinsed and then i did put vinger in water and on area that bled. Then I soaked again. Always in cold water. I think the vingar set the color so it would not run. At least it worked on for me.

• 2 months later...

I just solved this problem yesterday. Do not wash with synthrapol. First place 5 Shout colorcatchers in a mesh bag and place in the back of the drum. Next wash the quilt without detergent on the normal cycle with cold wash/cold rinse. Make sure to dry the quilt immediately to prevent further bleeding.

The color should come out. I did not use synthrapol on my quilt as I didn't want to assume further responsiblity for my customer's quilt. Good Luck!

Guest Linda S

Best advice is to tell your customers to pre-wash their red (or other color sensitive fabrics) in RETAYNE. I wash all my fabrics in it. Saves a lot of tears.

• 3 weeks later...

If I catch a fabric that bleeds before piecing, I throw it way or use it for something else, I find they will keep on bleeding. Personally i think the fabric is defective at that point. I would suggest to your customers that she always throws a color catcher in when washing.

Archived