Madder than a hornet...fabric dye bled

Well I was about to finish up the big quilt with the large yellow space that I asked for help on quilting ideas, and this is what I found when I went to unroll it off the frame. It is dye from the backside of the quilt. :mad: I was spritzing the markings in between quilting that big yellow space and it obviously wasn't dry when it rolled to pick up dye from the backing. Now what? Grandma's Spot remover didn't do the trick, and I don't have any retayne or anything like that. I will call the customer in the morning and see what she says. I would hate to try to soak it and have the whole thing bleed on me. There are 3 spots this appears in...all in the big yellow space that shows the dark blue "blood". Bah humbug. Chalk up another lesson learned.

Any suggestions in the meantime???

post--13492895199077_thumb.jpg

If this dye transfer happened with the backer barely touching the top, best advice is to go full-bore and treat the whole thing. All that dark dye in the backer needs treatment or else there will be nothing but bleeding whenever this quilt is laundered. It may be a good idea to bind it first--the edges will fray and the batting will be a mess if it's not contained somehow.

Synthrapol will pull the extra dye from the fabric, but multiple treatments may be necessary. A full soak in a bathtub is the gentlest way--put the quilt in a plastic laundry basket to support it and follow the directions on the bottle for the Synthrapol. Rinse and repeat until the water runs clear. This can also be done in a big washer with little or no agitation and multiple treatments. Throw in some Color Catchers for good measure--they absorb the dye floating in the water.

Retayne is used by dyers to set the dye in the fabric. You can use that as a final treatment after all the bleed is dealt with.

Yikes--so sad.

Try a bleach pen available in the supermarket. I think if it were me, after I received the customer's consent (it is her fault), my goal would be to bleach out the tiny blue spots. Since it is a yellow fabric with tiny white designs, I don't think it would be noticeable.

BTW, this very thing happened to me on a batik quilt with a muslin backer. I was spritzing the back to close up holes and the dyes ran.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Good thing is we still have time to do this before the anniversary. It's too early yet to call the customer so will be doing that soon.

I agree that if just a little cold water caused this bleed, then when she would have gone to wash it, it would have been a nightmare. I don't know the customer's quilt washing habits though. I'll find out soon.

Sorry to hear this has happened to others, too, but glad we have experts to chime in and give such great advice!

The only time I have had transfer was when the customer used "inexpensive" fabric. I don't like to pre-wash my fabrics and sometimes you can get away with it if you buy premium cloth. The worst to bleed is always red, then the purples and then the blue and black. That is such a shame as your quilting is top notch! Hope she doesn't try to pin this on you as it is her fabric selection! Good luck!

Just a vivid reminder of the risk we take by not washing fabric before we sew it up! I've learned the hard way not to skimp on this vital step. Yes, it is a pain, but the best way is to do it when you purchase your fabrics and then put a note on it as "Needle Ready". Educate your customers on this risk as well. NO fabric goes into my "Needle Ready" storage without the full treatment!

Yep - I always pre-wash in Retayne. Wish all my customers did. I agree with Linda - start with the Synthrapol. I had a bad bleed in a quilt once -- my sister and I made it for our other sister. My sister did not prewash some red she put in and the whole quilt turned pink. I washed it several times in Synthrapol and got the pink to fade, but not disappear. When I finally decided to give up and wash it in Retayne to at least set the remaining dye, it came out pink-free! I was over the moon.

Best of luck getting that out.

Cindy, I can feel your pain. I am sorry but hopefully your customer will have learned a great lesson herself and will work with you to get this problem solved. I too have had this happen and I used the bleach pen as it bled onto a white area.

I agree with everyone about your feathers. They are wonderful and I am sure that your customer is going to be thrilled with the quilting you did on this quilt. Keep us informed please.

I spoke to the customer on the phone and told her the issue and delivered the quilt for her to bind it this morning. Couldn't find any Retayne or Synthapol in town but I bought fresh Color Catchers and gave her a box. I came home and ordered the other from JoAnn's for BOTH of us!!

We spread the quilt out on her floor and she had to ask where the blue on yellow was. When she saw it, she was thrilled it wasn't big blue blotches she had imagined after our discussion. She was very understanding and said "things happen." She said she used to prewash but had bought so many kits that she quit prewashing. I think this will turn out to have a happy ending for all, especially if we can get the fabric dyes to set so her daughter won't have problems washing the quilt after she gets it.

I've saved this thread for future reference. Thanks for all your input!! This forum ROCKS!!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Get synthrapol. It is what removes excess dye. I think retayne sets the color. I really think the only way you will get out the dye is to soak it. That is so disappointing and I can only imagine how you feel. The customer is going to have to deal with it if she is ever going to wash it! Hang in there.

Heidi is correct. You don't want to use retayne unless you want the blue to be there for a very long time. It's the synthrapol that removes stains. Good luck. Let us know.

I use Heidi M's method,, then, use retayne to hold the dyes.\\

Works wonder. I have to wash all quilts that I give to community

quilts or Quilts of Valor. After I find out nothing is bleeding,

I use Orvus, or Quilt soap, one and the same product.

I dip a finger in, up to the had, and that is all that is needed.

I do use gentle setting for the adjitator but only let it

go for 3 or 4 min. to make sure the Quilt Soap is not

over used.. I always throw in 3 or 4 color catchers.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Over the weekend, the customer soaked her huge quilt in the bathtub w/Synthrapol (she used a sheet under it to wrestle it around as it wouldn't fit in a plastic laundry basket). She said she rinsed and repeated 3 times and finally the color catchers she threw in with it every time were clear. It didn't take out all the dye as it turned her bright yellow a yellow with a tint of greenish to it (which she said she liked better because she thought the original yellow was too much of a bold contrast and this color "softened" the yellow). She air dried the quilt and did not use the Retayne because of stuff she read about it on the internet (one guy said to never use it on a finished quilt...only one fabric at a time). So overall she was happy with how it turned out, not happy that she quit prewashing her fabrics for this project, and pretty sure her daughter-in-law would just love it anyway! I'm hoping she gives a talk on this subject at guild so others can learn from our experience.

Thank you all for your advice! It was very much appreciated, and I shared it with her and she even said how much she appreciated it!

Archived