Interchangeable Feet - Ruler Foot - Confused!

I've been reading through posts and am confused.  I have the old original foot to my Ulti 1 and I'd like the higher profile foot that comes with the new machines.  I see available on the website is the interchangeable foot ... what exactly does that mean?  Someone in a post mentioned you can buy a kit in addition with the feet that actually interchange...so what is it that is listed under parts for sale for $137 on the site?  Is that a high profile foot that can be changed out to other feet if I buy the additional set?

The conversion to the higher profile foot or to the interchangeable ones involves changing out your pressure foot bar, which involves removing the hook assembly and moving the gear shaft out of the way. APQS can do it or they provide in depth directions. It isn't a simple job. I've asked about it myself but just not prepared to tackle that kind of job and not in a position to take my machine down to Carroll yet (not relishing taking it all apart :(). Dawn said, when I asked her about them, if you do decide to go for it to make sure to tell them you want the interchangeable feet.

Hi Pumpkinpatch,

I hope I can explain better than I did in that other post. :)

In order to effectively use templates or rulers, a 1/4-inch tall foot is safest (your current machine probably has a low profile, completely closed circle foot.) To get that 1/4-inch tall foot on to your machine, you'd need to do as Marci commented, and replace the entire foot (it goes all the way up into the machine about 8 inches), upper shaft and all.

A new "complete" foot like that is $137.50, and would be used for templates. It is what comes on the newer machines. You wouldn't ever need to get any of the accessory feet if you didn't want to. The foot you'd get for that price would be ready to accept them because it will actually have a "split" in it where the accessory feet can go instead of the tall template foot section it will come with automatically. But if you wanted to try different feet, you can get them individually or as a kit to supplement your quilting styles. I've attached a reference sheet that may help. :)

APQS INTERCHANGEABLE HOPPING FEET.pdf

Ahaaa!  Thank you Dawn and Marci!!!  That makes so much more sense.

I'm a little nervous at the thought of taking the machine apart, I'm not gonna lie, but I saw a couple other people on here did it...that at least makes me feel a little more confident!  Luckily my father is pretty mechanical so maybe I can call on him for help.

Thanks guys!!!!!

Hahaha - you know, by the time I add all these upgrades that are available I'll have my own hand made Millie hahahahahaha :)

Pumpkinpatch quilter you can do it! I did it about a year ago on my Ultimate 1. Man do you feel accomplished when you finish that task. Also learned to time my machine through this experience and now feel confident if I ever need to time it again! The worst part for me was to put the rotary hook back on the shaft, as the shaft had burrs and you do not want to misalign the gears. If you decide to do it, just take it one step at a time and be patient.

I have a very early millennium with the old style foot. I am planning on changing out my foot in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to have my husband do it. He has taken care of any repairs/updating to my machine from the beginning. APQS is really great with information and help when it comes to doing your own repair work on your machines. Thanks APQS for being a true partner with us!

It is not too bad of a job.  I just changed the one on my Ultimate 1 in about 45 minutes.  If you have never done timing before that will be the hardest part.

Nigel

Nigel,  You have the IQ on your Ulti,  did re-timing you machine after installing the new foot affect the IQ stitch regulation? If so, what did you have to do to make sure it was all correct?  I don't have the IQ but do have I/S and have wondered about this.

Marci, glad you brought that up because I don't have Stitch Reg. now but the more I get a feel for my long arm the more I think I might want it in the future. 

Thanks guys for the encouragement!  Ariane I saw you added one to yours in a previous post - you're giving me the confidence!  Lol*  My birthday is coming up so it was a toss up between micro drive handles and a ruler foot and I'm thinking the ruler foot is the better investment for now.  I'm a sucker for curved cross hatch and I'd like to play with some other rulers.  I sort of thought maybe forcing myself to install this would take the fear out of timing...and give me the benefit of using rulers without fear of running over my fingers.  :)

Dawn thanks for the info - I know replying to all these posts and questions is time consuming, so I appreciate it very much!  From all of you!

• 8 years later...

I know this thread is long since past it’s prime….

but I too, have an Ultimate one and would like to use rulers. I have a little plastic thingy (technical term) that fits over the original foot and it works OK. But I’d really like to be able to change the feet and have that APQS quality. I live in Scotland now, so I won’t be shipping “Big Bertha” anywhere, but I would like to see the instructions for the switch. I’d like to read them over before I decide if I’m brave enough to try. 

How do I get a hold of the instruction, and parts?

And I DO have Intellistiych on my machine, if that makes any difference…

Dawn, is there anyone in Scotland that you know of that could do this for me??? 

Thanks everyone!

sarah

Sarah:  I think Dawn is long gone, so you might want to direct your question to Mark.  I really have no first hand knowledge of the Ult 1, or the Millie's, but I'd guess you could replace the Ult 1 needle bar with a Millie bar that takes replaceable feet.  Probably cost several hundred dollars, but maybe doable.  Good luck.  Jim