Sewers Aid question

I use sewers Aid extensively.   Yes, it is a Silicone, and anytime I am using a thread with other than cotton in it,

I run 3 or 4 lines of Sewers Aid up the cone/spool, to stop the static, and that helps control the thread, thus better stitches.

I didn't run that many lines on cotton.. just 3 per spool, unless I dipped it in mineral oil.

I use a drop in the bobbin thread, I use a drop on thick bulky seams and intersections to ease stitching through it all.

Seldom does Penny fail me.

I also have a can of Silicone spray and when just having trouble getting control of the quilt top to get it to lay flat,

it seems to help, by letting me pat or otherwise move the top without having to use pressure.  I use to use water, but it

also seemed to drag and not be of much help.

I have never seen a bad report, spot, stain, trouble with Sewers Aid, that wasn't user caused.   Do NOT put a bigger

hole in the top to squeeze more SA out at one time.  It becomes too difficult to control and wastes a lot of the product.

Could I be happier,, can't say I am, even though I use the mineral oil to dip my thread cones, now.  It gives the same results

meaning, nicer stitches, more fun sewing, less tension problems.. I can even run Kiing Tut without adjusting the tension

by using either the Sewers Aid or Mineral Oil.

Indulge and enjoy.

Rita

Beth...

This is what Sharon Shamber teaches.

I didn't believe it myself, but it's true.

I did an experiment and tried it.

I dipped the top of cone in mineral oil about 1/2 way down.

Then I let it sit overnight and quilted with it the next day.

No oil on the quilt.

I use this for finicky threads, like KT.

It really helps.

Try it, you might like it.

I dip the whole cone, squeeze out as much as I can with my hand, usually wearing a hemostat glove,

and then blot with an old wash cloth, chunk of towel, etc.  Make sure it's very absorbant.. then I let it set a while

before threading and using.  Be sure to wipe the oil out of the inside of the cone.  I use a qtip on the smaller spools.

I also find I don't need to dip it again the next day.  I've not tried a cone several days later, guess I need to be

doing that, to see if it needs to be dipped again.

Rita

Thread lubricant is used extensively by professionals when the huge stitching machines are used. It's a solution for high-speed stitching. I apply Sewer's Aid to the thread and sometimes to the piece of batting I have in the thread guide above the cone. Sewer's Aid is a very necessary product for me. The mineral oil application, while used and liked by many, is too messy and fussy for me. The tiny bit of time saved by not having to re-apply Sewer's Aid does not offset the potential for me to spill a gallon of oil on my floor! And I'd be the one to do it!   :P

I have been using sewers aid for only a short while now. The place I see the most difference is on the bold colors, red, black, navy, etc. I was never happy with the way my stitches looked with dark colors. Now with using sewers aid ,I find they look great.

My one question I haven't been able to find an answer to is: how often to apply?  Thanks for help, K

Where do you purchase sewers aid? 

I have looked at several places without success.  Most of these places don't even know what it is!!!

Also....

does anyone know if this would help with the batting 'pokies' that happens sometimes?

I too now use Sharon's method for my threads, especially if they are giving me fits.  I don't always have to use it on the quilting machine but if I'm using a thread that isn't behaving I get out the mineral oil and have NEVER had any staining, even on satin!  I use it on all my piecing thread.  It also helps reduce lint so it is a win/win.  You can also put in a wad of batting in the thread guide and soak it with the mineral oil and then it will coat the thread as it goes through the guide.

I wouldn't bother using this stuff unless you are really having significant problems.  I've been long arming for 10 years now, and I've never needed to use any of this stuff.  If you're really having problems, check your thread path for burrs, grooves worn into your pigtails, thread guides, etc.  I'd use it if all else failed, but most quality threads today are made to run through our machines.  My Liberty has never met a thread she didn't like, and that includes such crazy things as Superior's Halo.  

My whole post is gone..

I don't know whaqt area of the country you live in, Linda., but here in N.C. the central part, and in the Sand Hills, 

our Summer humidity is high and often very uncomfortable to be out in, and sometimes it makes it hard for

some folks to breathe.

In the winter, we are very dry.. not often above 55 or so, right now it is sitting at 47.. static rules unless we use

something other than the thread socks on any thread with any synthetic in it, and I even have had times the

cotton scoots away from, or jumps onto my hand.. in all cotton quilting. 

Sewers aid is wonderful, just costs a lot more than Mineral Oil which does the same job.

As Heidi said, it cuts the fuzzies/lint, and I think it helps the thread keep from breaking.

Thanks for comments though,

Rita

Baby oil is mineral oil, it's just had that scent added that gives us the warm and fuzzies. Can't wrap my head around intentionally using this petroleum product on my fabrics. Or on a baby for that matter. Does an amazing job of getting the skin to burn like crazy when used at the pool, if that's also consided a plus. Any oils that contain mineral oils, or listed as petroleum distillates, will break down over time. When it breaks down, mineral oil breaks down in to a solvent.  Solvents will break down fabric. None of the expert long arm quilters have lived long enough to prove their belief that mineral oil does no damage.  JMO

Thank you for posting the links for me.  I think I will get some and have it on hand for those 'just in case' moments.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to have it available and I do have a couple of different types of thread that always gives me trouble.

I didn't know that Sharon Schamber uses mineral oil.  Since she is a International quilt winner, several times over, I would think she must know what works on different types of threads. 

Tips and Tricks...what ever works to make our quilting smoother and easier. ;)

Archived