Suggestions for a saddle stool

Bttyboopette:  I have a saddle stool.  It is a Star model 205 I believe.  I bought it several years ago, and can't remember off which web site.  (there were several equipment suppliers offering them, I just looked for the best terms)  The stool adjusts from a low height of 24 inches, up to a max of 34 inches.  It has the typical 5 wheel base, and a chrome plated steel foot rest comes with it.  The foot rest is adjustable, up and down to allow you to set a height that is comfortable to rest your feet on.  Like all saddle stools it comes without a back.

Pros and cons:  

Cons:  The wheels do not come apart like some office chairs, so removing thread that inevitably gets wound up in them is difficult.  For me, the seat is a bit wider than I'd like.  I know several others here really like the way it sits, but I think I would like a less flat seat.  (I say "think" because this is the only stool I've tried and maybe I wouldn't like another seat any more than this one)   It is vinyl covered, which I find a bit uncomfortable because it's hot here a lot of the time, and vinyl does not breath.

Pros:  The stool is sturdy.  It rolls on my hard floor very easily.  The height adjustment allows me to adjust it to sit and stitch at the front of the machine.  (I usually keep it at 29 inch height)  The foot rest is sturdy as well.  Steel, not plastic.  Other than the comfort, which is very subjective, and the lack of ease in removing thread from the wheels, I am very satisfied with it.  I use it a lot, and it has served well. BTW I re-covered the seat with sheep skin, and that has improved the hot weather "sitability" a lot.

I think I paid just at $120 delivered for it in 2011.  I don't know what they sell for now, but I doubt that they are significantly higher.  Just look.  The only reason I'd buy a different one is if it had a more comfortable seat.  Otherwise, I am well satisfied with it.  Good luck with your shopping.  Jim  PS, you need the high height in order to see what you're doing.  Like I said I set mine at 29" most of the time, and I have my table set at it's lowest height.  My table is custom built, and is probably 3-4" lower than most.

I got mine through my hairdresser.  AGS Beauty.  Here's the link.  http://www.agssalonequipment.com/hermes-saddle-salon-stool-1.html

Being tall, I had to have my husband add a block to raise it up about another 4".  Most people are probably fine with the stock model.  I LOVE mine, and was just telling Warren on Friday how much I love it.

I have the same one as Dave. My only problem with it is that the seat rocks back and forth. There is a lever to lock it, but sometimes it gets bumped and I get a surprise when I lean forward. I've jumped more than once thinking I was falling.

I have one that looks like the one Jeannie B shows... Love it..

with real bad back and hip & now knee problems and pain, it doesn't bother them at all.

Mine also has a tilt adjustment, for the seat.. we tilted mine forward a bit, it minimizes the angle at the hips.. I'd forgotten about that.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Himself gets the threads out of the wheels with a crochet hook, seam ripper and a very pointed knife..   It takes him maybe 10 min. to de-thread the 5 wheels.  Balance is wonderful, too.

It can be adjusted up and down for very close work, stippling, background fills that are small, etc..

and higher to work with a ruler, etc .

Rita

The barbershop had a beautiful, comfortable one but it wouldn't go the full 35 inches.  The hairdresser one looked beautiful, but the 29 inch height might not be enough.  At the Hershey quilt show VA Longarm had a beautiful one for $200.  It's probably on her website.  It's much more comfortable than the Office Star one I have.

I have one.  I just did a search for "saddle stool" and found a bunch of sources.  I actually use mine for regular sewing more than at my longarm.  I have the taller version which did not work with my old sewing desk.  My husband built me a custom sewing desk last winter which is quite a bit taller.  I am short and have a plastic storage bin to put foot feed on.  It works really well for me with less physical strain than regular office chair.

I had the Star 205 saddle stool and it was just a bit too tall for me to safely mount!! LOL I ended up selling it to a gal who came to my house for some hands-on learning on the longarm. I replaced it with a drafting chair and I hate it. There is a shorter Star saddle stool that I wish I had been able to sit in to see if it would work for me. I think it is the Star 203. I'm only 5 feet 2 inches.

I have the st205 as well.  I love it.   But I am tall.   I love the foot rest if you can get that!   I love everything about it.   The only thing I would caution anyone is that it is like a saddle - that is, you kind of have to hike your hip/thigh over the bump and you sit a little wider, like in a saddle.  I love that,  it gives me good posture.  But I was thinking that some people may have more trouble with that kind of a seat.   

I love that I can adjust the tilt of the seat and the height - and the footrest is a must.  

Archived