DonnaH

Member
  • Content Count

    4
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About DonnaH

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Location
    Charlotte, NC area
  1. APQS GEORGE FOR SALE $4600 Excellent condition. Purchased Re-certified directly from APQS in 2015 and is in the same excellent condition as when I received it. George happily stitches with all kinds of thread from Aurifil, Glide, Wonderfil 80 wt, Superior Threads So Fine, and Magnifico to name a few that I have used. Personal use only, have created award winning Art Quilts and quilted baby and lap quilts for family, and guild outreach. Includes standard table, Manual/DVD. Purchased the extra kit with additional feet in 2015: Includes open toe free motion foot, ruler foot and open toe platform foot. Three bobbin cases so you can have different tension settings for your favorite threads, extra aluminum bobbins, two packages of Filtec Glide "L" pre-wound magnetic bobbins, needles, and Deluxe bobbin winder. I have the original box for shipping the machine, and table folds flat. Purchaser pays shipping and handling from Charlotte NC. You can message me here with any questions or leave a message on my cell: 704-962-0867.
  2. Jim: Thank you so much for your reply. I'll bet that is/was the problem! I did fill those three bobbins that gave me trouble all at the same time in advance of working on that quilt. And my problem only happened when I inserted each new bobbin - never after stopping and starting in the middle of quilting. And the fact that by the time I went through my process of trying the same bobbin three times... I had by that time pulled off several lengths of thread, which obviously would have reduced the overwound bobbin thread. So your suggestion makes perfect sense in my case. I'm so happy you were kind enough to post an answer. I was really afraid something weird was starting to go wrong with my machine. I used my machine last night, and there was no problem, because I had already used some of what was on that last bobbin. Then I tried putting in several other bobbins from my collection, half full bobbins, and no problem. That's got to be the answer. I will be sure not to overfill my bobbins from now on!
  3. Has anyone had this problem? I use self wound bobbins on my George (L size) and have never had a problem until recently. When I put in a fresh bobbin, pull up the bobbin thread, put my practice sandwich under to check on tension as I always have. When I press the white one stitch button to bring up the bobbin thread, I pull on the bobbin thread and it seems to feed fine. So I start stitching, and on the first or on the second stitch, the thread on top thread seems to get totally tight, (hard to move the thread through the top tension disks by hand) the machine seizes up, slows down the ability of the foot to go up or down. And if it sometimes manages to sew two or three stitches before doing this, then it happens- and I end up needing to pull/work out the sandwich from under the open toe ruler foot. THE THREAD USUALLY SHREDS- SOMETIMES THE TOP THREAD, SOMETIMES THE BOBBIN THREAD. Also there is usually a second strand of thread coming up through the stitch plate from the bobbin, when I do manage to work it loose. I cut the threads loose, and the top thread has shredded, and there is a birds nest on the bottom. So I climb under the table, pick out any stuck pieces of thread from the bobbin case, which there usually are. Then I reload the same wound bobbin, put in the bobbin case and try again. Same thing happens again. So I do all the same things, put the same bobbin back in a third time, without changing anything else, and it usually then stitches fine on the sample sandwich and I know I can put my quilt back under the foot and resume. I have cleaned and oiled the bobbin hook area. It did not used to do this. I used to be able to change threads frequently while working on a free motion project, and no problems changing back and forth. I'm at a loss to know what is causing this. The photo below is of the nest on the underside.
  4. I removed this and reposted under the correct section of the forum asking for technical help. I've had my George since 2015 and this is a new problem.