Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bobbin changes'.
Found 1 result
Has anyone had this problem? I use self wound bobbins on my George (L size) and have never had a problem until recently. When I put in a fresh bobbin, pull up the bobbin thread, put my practice sandwich under to check on tension as I always have. When I press the white one stitch button to bring up the bobbin thread, I pull on the bobbin thread and it seems to feed fine. So I start stitching, and on the first or on the second stitch, the thread on top thread seems to get totally tight, (hard to move the thread through the top tension disks by hand) the machine seizes up, slows down the ability of the foot to go up or down. And if it sometimes manages to sew two or three stitches before doing this, then it happens- and I end up needing to pull/work out the sandwich from under the open toe ruler foot. THE THREAD USUALLY SHREDS- SOMETIMES THE TOP THREAD, SOMETIMES THE BOBBIN THREAD. Also there is usually a second strand of thread coming up through the stitch plate from the bobbin, when I do manage to work it loose. I cut the threads loose, and the top thread has shredded, and there is a birds nest on the bottom. So I climb under the table, pick out any stuck pieces of thread from the bobbin case, which there usually are. Then I reload the same wound bobbin, put in the bobbin case and try again. Same thing happens again. So I do all the same things, put the same bobbin back in a third time, without changing anything else, and it usually then stitches fine on the sample sandwich and I know I can put my quilt back under the foot and resume. I have cleaned and oiled the bobbin hook area. It did not used to do this. I used to be able to change threads frequently while working on a free motion project, and no problems changing back and forth. I'm at a loss to know what is causing this. The photo below is of the nest on the underside.