bobbin thread seems to be loosening up

Inside the bobbin case should be a dark metal round thingie that snaps into the back of the case--technical name--backlash spring. It has metal fingers. Take it out of the case with the end of a screwdriver and use that screwdriver to gently pry those fingers out a bit. You will be able to see that they stick out a bit.

Snap it back in the case by lining up the circular cut-out with the case and pushing it in so the tiny tabs snap into the bobbin case--I use the screwdriver or my tiny crochet hook.

When it is snapped in and you place the bobbin in, it will cause the bobbin to sit a micro-inch outside the case. This is good! Now the bobbin will have a little pressure on it against the assembly and not spin when the machine stops. That spinning after stopping is what causes the un-wound bobbin thread.

Hope this helps.

Thanks abunch for helping. I had thought that the "fingers" on the metal thingie were sticking up far enough but I then pryed them up a little higher and now it is back to working like a dream. thanks again and also I love being able to describe things in my own language and having friends that understand just what I need!!!

Thank you Beth! And back atcha my friend!

This is always a "been-there-done-that" place where experience is passed along. I love it! I loaded a HUGE T-shirt quilt top tonight and am wading through a wonky pieced backer and very friendly borders. Without help from here I would be in a panic--but I have learned what to do and how to do it--and not from classes-- from my friends!!

Archived