Freezer paper?

Not Heidi (hi friend!) but I recommend that you use Miracle Chalk with the stencil/foam brush combo. That will stay on and to remove, I use either a hair dryer (all it takes is heat--not necessarily an iron) or I plug in my tiny Clover applique iron and run it down the chalked lines. Definitely a favorite way to mark stencils.

Peg,

I forgot your were going to camp. I'm really excited. I leave 2 weeks from yesterday and I can hardly wait. THis is your first year right? You will have so much fun!

Linda - I haven't had that problem but have heard of other who have. To solve the problem you just need to give the fabric a wipe with a damp cloth (not wet) and then put the powder on. It helps it cling to the fabric!

I have heard of using the almost sticky-like GLAD wrap stuff. You can see though it - as to where to put your design, you then sew through it and then rip it off.

Not sure if using it a LOT would goop-up your needle though...

I have used freezer paper with no problems. I had cut out a bunch of leaves, ironed them to the quilt, quilted around it - pulled of the paper then quilted the veins up into the leaf area. Worked really well and I was able to use each pattern (cut-out) more than a couple of times.

That was a T.V. job - cutting out all of those leaves!

Originally posted by Judi

I have heard of using the almost sticky-like GLAD wrap stuff. You can see though it - as to where to put your design, you then sew through it and then rip it off.

I had a friend who did this and was cussing like crazy because the plastic got stuck under the thread and she had a hard time getting all the little pieces out. Her design might have been too small or tight together.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by Judi

I had a friend who did this and was cussing like crazy because the plastic got stuck under the thread and she had a hard time getting all the little pieces out. Her design might have been too small or tight together.

Yep, that's what happened to me too.

Like Meg, I use the water solusble stabilizer. I usually get it from Superior threads or Fabric Depot. I use a felt tip marker to draw the pattern on the stabilizer then, pin (or use spray adhesive like 505 if I am going to was the quilt). It comes off easily and any little bits will dissolve when it is washed. If it is a customer quilt just tell them about the medium used and how to get rid of any little bits if necessary.

Archived