Why Are Some Charity Quilts So Ugly?

I've rencently quilted a charity quilt for my LQS that was later donated to a new hospise that opened in town. I couldn't believe how ugly it was. It was terrible! I couldn't even take pictures. Also, it wasn't until I received this top that I realized how crappy some quilts are peiced. It's like people just don't take the time. I think that charity quilts deserve good time & effort (I wouldn't do a mammoth paper peiced, but perhaps a turning twenty or rail fence etc) because they will probably be loved (and worn and washed) more than the average quilt. I also think that just because someone is sick or homeless, doesn't mean that they should have to get an ugly or cheap quilt. I'd make a nice scrap quilt I think. That way they get quality expensive fabric, but it's not like you had to go out and buy it. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers :)

Hi! I have actually been told by someone who works for a homeless shelter that the more ugly the quilt the better! If a quilt looks nice it is more likely to be stolen by someone who doesn't really need it just to keep warm, and that an ugly quilt will keep someone warm just as well as a nicer quilt.

I agree that just because someone is homeless doesn't mean they should only get an ugly quilt, but if it stops it being stolen then I suppose it's not such a bad thing.

Susan in Australia

There is an even worse side to the ugly-charity-quilt story--and ugly quilt is less likely to be sold by the recipient than a nice quilt. You bargain with what you have when you are in a desperate situation. Strange, huh? Our guild makes lots of quilts for organizations to hand out--police and fire dept, etc. One was recognized at a local second-hand store and had been sold to the store for cash. Yikes.

This is a rough one. I agree with the homeless issue a really nice quilt will buy a lot of drugs and liquor. However, there's the homeless that are homeless because they just can't afford housing, food, medical care, what type of quilt do they deserve? If the quilts are going to a hospice, hospital or even our military then we should give them the time and skill needed to make them nice. As I stated, this is a rough one, is there a right answer???

Another idea about quilts turned in that are not done with what we consider good workmanship may be the best that this person is able to do, like in the case of the elderly. We had a bunch of quilts donated to be quilted for a nursing home by a church group. the fabric was not the best quality or the best piecing but they were definately a gift of love. When eyesight starts to go and fingers are not as cooperative as they once were, sometimes the accuracy is not what it was. Sad but true! We quilted them and passed them on remembering that the recipients eyesight as well may not be the best and a gift of love is just that.

See...It's like I always say...This forum is great! One reason is that it allows us to see both sides of the issue!

I know about the quilts being stollen or sold as DH is in law enforcement for over 30 years and has seen it all!! My charity quilts go to the Sheriff department and go to children that have suffered the loss their home to a fire or the loss of a family member or must be taken out of a bad home situation. I do make nice quilts and bears for this and I am sure they will be kept and loved and worn out (I least I like to think so) As far as the homeless maybe the quilts could be donated to the shelter rather than the person? The shelter would not sell them, but I think the laundry would be an issue as God knows what can end up on the quilts so I am sure they are laundered frequently. Just my 2 cents. But is'nt great to know that people are still willing to give to those in need!

When I hear a comment like, "Well, it's good enough for a donation quiolt" or, "I really messed this one up so I''ll just give it to charity" I boil..I try to say ïf it's not good enough for me, then it's not good enough for charity.. and usually get an answer like, well yeah I agree, but they go ahead and do it. Anything that compromizes the construction, should be taken care of by the maker when possible.. I may mess up a quilting pattern, and usually it's not something terrible, but if it's just a little yes I do take it out.. a whole border, then I keep making the mistake all the way around so it looks the same. It won't go out the door though, unless it is well stitched, and bound.

RitaR

I really hate when someone makes an ugly quit for donation. I can understand, now that I read that they could be sold for profit or drugs or whatever. I had not thought of that. But when a quilt is made for say QoV, I have seen some pretty ugly quilts....you think "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" then? I don't! It makes me almost sick when I see a buck ugly quilt going to someone who has layed their life on the line for my life/freedom. And how about a kid who is sick or been through a rough family life. I like the idea better that I will make it out of love for that person and what they do with it after they get it is totally up to them. I gave it in the right heart.

Same goes for the money we send to charitable organizations only to find that the CEO had 5 homes, the least of which is better than anything we will ever have. The thing is...we give the money with love and with a "right" heart, what they do with the money is on their head....same with ugly quilts.

Thank you very much....done preaching!!;)

there is a program called the "ugly quilt" I am not sure if its own non profit or just a program. They make and collect ugly quilts for shelters and the homeless.

I too agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and ALL quilts should be given away and used regardless of its beauty and workmanship.

When you are truly cold and need a blanket it really does not matter if its ugly, I work in a nonprofit and we have an emergency food bank and help people find clothes and furniture Trust me, they do not complain it's ugly or that they do not like something they say thank you! They are just trying to survive each night --an ugly quilt will keep them just as warm.

How aweful would it be if the quilt was discarded because it was ugly or not sewn well when it could have kept someone warm on a freezing night in winter? Don't you think its more dignified to be given an ugly quilt than digging it out of a garbage can?

Wow, I never even thought about selling/stealing quilts. I didn't really think that perhaps all quilters do their best and some are more challenged than others. You guys are all right, it is the effort that counts. I just never looked at it this way before. Of course it would be better that someone get an ugly quilt than freeze. My point before was I wish that everyone would put in a good effort and care into charity quilts. I hear too often, "Oh, it's just a charity quilt" and it makes me feel a little sad is all. Thank you for all of your replies.

I'll pop in here and say that the church quilt group that I belong to uses only donated fabrics. When we first started out, we made absolutely beautiful quilts, as the years have gone on, a lot of the "quilting fabric" that we first received has gone out in the form of finished and beautiful quilts. But now that we only get fabrics once in awhile (and mind you a lot of these fabrics are not 100% cotton) we do the best that we can to make the quilts to give to others. Some of our members are as stated above, eyesight going, fingers stiff with age, but they work to their best ability to be able to give a quilt that they have made. I was quiltin g them all, but I'm now doing about 30% of them. Each step of the process is the best work that each individual can do and it is all done with the right heart attitude. And having said all of that , I now say that some of them are not a beautiful quilt & some of them aren't even my style or color combination, but they are made out of love to give to someone who has nothing. Our group felt that there are many making quilts for our military men, so they voted to make quilts for nursing homes, new babies and other needy people that we are made aware of. I would hate to think that someone would sell any of them for drugs, but the thing I try and remember is that once they are out of our hands - given to another - the decision of what to do with them is theirs. We can't control the final destination of these quilts, nor should we. Maybe that person needed medicine or food worse than the quilt. OK, now I'll step down off the podium.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do a lot of charity quilts for my church. A lot of the ladies in the quilt group at my church can only make simple log cabin quilts and they make them from donated fabrics. Some of them are quite ugly. Others are not pieced very well. But I can guarantee you that each quilt was made with love and was prayed over for the recipient of the quilt.

The group made 160 quilts last year for a hospital in Jamicia and a lot of the ladies went on a special trip to Jamacia to hand deliver each quilt to the person in each hospital bed. I'm pretty sure that ugly was the farthest thing from the mind of the person in the hospital bed. They were grateful to be given a blanket to cover up with.

Debbi

I helped a dear friend pass on from cancer. When she came back from the hospital the last time she showed me the quilt they had given her. She was so happy to have it. As a quilter I was mortified. I decided that people who are dying should be given nice quilts. I decided I would make a quilt (as often as time and money alllows) in her and my mothers memory I really wanted people to have decents quilts!!! Well when I took it to them they looked at it and said "oh, this is too nice we will use it as a raffle quilt" My heart sank. Yes I understand this will also help but I just wanted families to be left with a nice quilt. Next time I will clarify the quilt can only be used to give to a family or please don't take the quilt. As an aside. I was sewing the binding on a quilt while sitting by this dear womens bed and she woke up looked at it and a tear ran down her face. I fiinshed the binding that night and left the quilt on her bed. Her husband now has it over his bed.

Wow! Thanks for starting this thread, Persephannie...the responses have been eye opening! When my friends and I saw what the Guild was making for its charity quilts, we decided to do our own thing. We called Habitat for Humanity and we have 'adopted' one of their families. At their house dedication in November, we will be presenting four quilts made in their color choices and for their bed sizes. It has been fun getting together to design and sew the quilts (with our best workmanship) and we know the quilts will go to a good and appreciative home.

I hope I'm not wrong in saying this.. but I believe the Ugly Quilt Project uses any fabric they get, from suits to blue jeans, shirts, yard goods.. anything that will give some warmth and hold up for a while.. Most of them go to the homeless shelter and the receiver keeps them when they leave.

Our guild gives to the Family Crisis Center, Crisis Center of Harnet County, Teen Pregnancy, Pregnancy Crisis, and such programs.. since we don't have a homeless shelter here. Our practice pieces when well covered go th the ASPCA for the animals there.

Biggest for me and not the least by any means are the QofValor.. Make them bright and pretty.. they love it.. and you. As we should love them.

RitaR

Hello members, first time posting but have enjoyed lurking in the background observing your beautiful work. Your discussion on charity quilts struck a chord. I visited a childhood friend last summer, she does not have much in the way of material things and I didn't even know she sewed. I quilt, yes the usual beautiful fabrics at $18.00 a yard. That always bothered me as I still feel quilts should be like my Grandma quilted, with fabric on hand.

My friends quilts were from all manner of fabric donated to her and her friends who make charity quilts. They were "crimpoline" and other ugly fabrics and she had bins of these donation quilts. So proud of them. I have a brother who at times has slept in -30 degrees outside, in bank lobbies, behind laundromats by the heat exhaust and he would have appreciated a warm quilt of any kind. There are many mentally ill, disabled or other poverty stricken people who appreciate the effort gone into keeping them warm on a snowy cold night. My bro so appreciates what he receives in any form; he won't even throw away the envelope that letters or cards come in. To him that is part of the caring that was shown by someone who mailed him a card or a Tim's coffee gift certificate.

I think we who are luckier with our fancy machines and toys may not realize what hard times really are. It is difficult to imagine unless one observes it first hand. For my bro, his hard times have improved somewhat and yes he now has a pretty quilt that I made him. He is however the kindest most non judgemental individual. He doesn't care if one is fat or skinny, pretty or ugly, rich or poor. He looks beyond all that. I am positive that ugly quilts as well as pretty are ok in his view and also in the view of many. Just to know that someone cared enough to donate a quilt would be precious.

Thanks for the opportunity to share my views. Happy Quilting, Happy Donating.

Barbara

I was feeling very "uncharitable" a few months ago as my sis and I were looking for wool sweaters for a felting project at Goodwill. There were eight flannel receiving blankets for sale with the "Project Linus" tags still in place. They had never been used. I sputtered and made a face--until my dear level-headed sis reminded me that the Linus projects are given to at-risk babies and maybe the baby didn't survive. I tear-up whenever I think of it. I purchased the blankets and put them with our hospital baby quilts from our guild. Never assume, I guess.......

It's not what the quilt looks like, whether or not it is used, sold or what happens to it and where it ends up later down the road, the most important thing is that YOU gave something of YOURSELF for GOOD intentions. You can't control the actions of the recipients, but you can still give without worry or wonder about that quilt. Giving is good. You all are good people. :) I am so proud to know each and every one of you.

Quilters are so caring of the heart.

Project Linus quilts should be washed, with a mild soap like dreft, woolite, etc. and NO softeners. A lot of hospitals will throw them out if they have smoke odors, animal hairs or heavy fabric softener sents to them.. Why? It compromises so many of the ill children, that they can't take the risk.

RitaR

Archived