loading large quilts - that are bigger than your table

I am getting a king size quilt and am worried that it will be larger than my table (12 ft). Does anyone ever quilt a quilt that is larger than their table will accomodate? How do you load it and get it quilted? Should I just not take it to do? I need advice desperately. I know I can count on this group to give me suggestions. Thanks. Janet

I think it was Grammie Tammie that extended her leaders a bit to do a larger quilt. I'm not good at doing the searches, so I'll leave that to someone smarter. I know that someone else will chime in with another idea.

By the way, I've done a California King on my 12' table, and while it was close, it still fit.

Keep us posted

Janet, I have maxed out my 12 foot table twice....meaning that I had room for the quilt top to be rolled onto the rollers, but I didn't have room to move the machine head around...it would be up against the sides and have quilt under the needle...that's how tight I was. I had to quilt the center, the top and bottom of that I could reach...flip the quilt and then quilt the sides and then I had to move fold the quilt over on one end move it down and then quilt the two corners I couldn't reach...flip the quilt once again and refold, this time the end that the corners were done on and then quilt the two remaining corners.....

It was a huge ordeal, but it worked out okay....and they were the only two quilts that I had wished for a 14 foot table....These were quilts, but not just a down the side quilt...they went the floor bedspreads....

My first 2 machines were 14 ft and I never came close to maxing it out. My current machine is a 12 footer and I have maxed to the end of the zippers 4 or 5 times.

I'm not crazy about that, since, like Bonnie says, you have no place to park your machine head. I just make sure that the needle is not on the quilt top or put down a piece of batting in case I get a drip. Gammill's are famous for oil drips but most of that is on the table itself where the machine is in park. I have never seen oil on my quilts or canvas. But better safe than sorry.

My zippers are 120" so that is the max size I will take. If a customer has a bigger quilt, I tell her I can't take it and recommend a quilter with a 14 ft table. With many of the mattresses getting thicker with pillowtops, the quilts do seem to be getting wider to accomodate them.

I found a cool web-site that caluculates how big quilts are if they are full length, blanket sized or coverlet size. I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/QuiltSize.shtml

Archived