Quilting black with white on bottom

I have a question when it comes to quilting a dark top, lots of black, dark green and blue, grey and light green. The bottom is white muslin. I don't really want to use the mono poly on this quilt but can't decide what thread color to use. Has anyone any good suggestions?

Also, I have just about finished the french braid wedding quilt and hopefully within the next week can post a picture of it.

Lib

Hi Lib,

Could you ask your customer to change the backing fabric to a dark one? That would be my first conversation with my customer. Then I would sell the idea that a dark thread for the bobbin to match the dark top thread is the way to go in order to eliminate any thread showing through on the back. This way the quilt will have a design on the back too, kinda like a wholecloth. Now a few factors affecting these decisions are...the batting if you have a dark top and dark back try to use a dark batting.....how are you going to quilt it? A simple panto with dark thread on a white back will show very nice, but if you are doing alot of detailed work, a dark thread would not look as good as a matching bobbin thread to the backing. Hope this helps, I am sure others will put their 2 cents in too.

Nadia, thank you for your help. My customer doesn't want to change the back as she bought the fabric specially for the quilt and it is 120" wide. The batting is Warm and Natural. I'm not doing detailed work so may just look at doing something simple that will look nice on the back as well. I haven't quite decided yet how to quilt it. What I should try to do is get a picture of it for everyone to see.

UGH!! I hate these decisions!

Lib

Yes, a picture would help! If your customer can't/doesn't want to change the backing fabric, I'd use same color (or very similar color) top and bottom, of course, depending on what you end up quilting on the top. That way you will eliminate alot of the pokie issues too. Have you had a chance to read Dawn article on the home page about needle flex? Have a look in her quilt talk section, it's pretty informative. A nice variegated thread tying in the quilt top colors, might look good too on the top and bobbin.

Hi Nadia. Haven't read the article yet. I am just going to take my puppies out for a walk (which doesn't exactly impress me as it is raining up here) and then I shall take a look at Dawn's article. I shall also try to post a picture of the quilt.

Everyone is sooo sweet when I need help. You get the neatest ideas and suggestions. Thank you. Lib

Hi lib,

If you want to do a pretty variegated on top--choose one with one lighter color in it, like a dark gold color.

Whatever you choose, take the lightest color on the cone and use that color for the bobbin. It will help disguise pokies on both sides.

Or go for broke and use the same variegated on top and bottom--very pretty and more interesting on the muslin than one solid color. ( I guess Nadia suggested that above--I missed it)

Have fun and see what works for you.

I have such a hard time posting pictures so I hope that this works. This is the quilt that I have with the white back. It looks a little lighter than it actually is. Nadia, I really like your suggestion and think I am going to use a variegated thread on the top and the bottom. The only broblem I now have is what to quilt? This is where I know all you super people out there will help me.

Libby

Archived