Quilting black with white on bottom

OK, since I am here anyway, I don't really need to see a photo of the quilt to know what's going on.

Dark thread on top + W&N batting + muslin on back = pokies

I have heard that some people are able to keep those pokies away but I don't know who these wizards are. There just isnt' enough space in warm and Natural to hide the stitch; the batting isn't thick enough.

If I really want to have 2 very different threads, ie black on top and white on bottom, then I will do one of the following:

-- Double batt using W&N and maybe a Hobbs so it has a bit more loft to hide the stitch.

--Use a thicker batt like Quilter's Dream Deluxe cotton or a poly batt like Soft & Bright by Warm Co, or Quilter's Dream Puff (very light and lofty).

If you customer doesn't go for a different back and wants to stay with W&N batt, then use the same thread top and bottom and tell her she will have a reversible quilt. :D And also warn her about how those stops and starts will glare off a muslin back.

I know some folks like to use muslin because it is natural, less expensive and has an antique look. But antique quilts were hand-stitched and the thread was the same color top and bottom. So there you go.

Originally posted by Lib

I have a question when it comes to quilting a dark top, lots of black, dark green and blue, grey and light green. The bottom is white muslin. I don't really want to use the mono poly on this quilt but can't decide what thread color to use. Has anyone any good suggestions?

Also, I have just about finished the french braid wedding quilt and hopefully within the next week can post a picture of it.

Lib

Lib, on top of the other great advice you've received from Linda Card, perhaps also consider using BLACK batting for the dark quilts like yours. That way you won't have the white pockies that might show through on white batting.

Also, if you have a dark top and are have a light backer fabric, consider using two battings; the dark one for the top and lay a white batt underneath for the back. This method works great for those types of quilts. Two battings is common and successful for dark tops and light backs.

Hi Lib,

Is your customer willing to pay custom quilting for this top or do they want something basic? So, depending on what look your customer is looking for and what price they are willing to pay is where I would start. It would be easy to do a custom job on this...however a nice panto would also look okay...or a panto in the body and separate treatment in the borders. Do the borders have alot of fullness in them? If they do, I'd piano key them. Is the quilt for a man or a woman? Will it be used regularily and laundered or just used occasionally?

Do you know the name of this pattern? It looks interesting.

What super ideas. Shana I really like the idea of 2 battings, white and black. I shall remember that in the future.

Nadia, the quilt is a wedding present and will probably be washed fairly frequently. I have been told I can do whatever I want and I don't have to worry too much about the cost. Because of the dark top and white backing I have decided that I will use a variegated thread top and bottom. I am tending towards more custom quilting as somehow a panto just doesn't seem right....and as the borders are full, I think that I will piano key them. I did that on another quilt and really liked the affect.

Lib

• 2 months later...

Archived